Username Post: Blocked        (Topic#1587455)
flwrgrl
Veteran
flwrgrl

For weeks now I've been concentrating on finally painting my space, & have been hanging pictures etc. The issue? I'm having a scrapbooking LO 'block': like writers block, except scrappers block. It's been over a month since I've worked on ANYTHING other than walls! I've looked at others' LO's, which usually inspires me greatly, but not this time. Honestly, I think I'm feeling intimidated! There are some really talented, fantastic 'artists' on here & I'm not only a newbie, but I DO NOT understand what 'embossing'means; or what any of these machines you guys have, do. Just throwing this out there-wondering do any of the rest of you ever blank out on projects for extended periods of time?

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5
In response to flwrgrl

I'd look at some of the tabs at the top of this site and check out Videos and Resources, or watch some YouTube videos. If you put Cuttlebug or any of the other machines into search, you'll find tons of tips. Some of the "instructors" have voices that grate on the ears or don't seem to know much of anything, but there are also some really good ones and once you find them, start following their videos.

I always end out wanting to do different techniques and start playing after I watch some of them. You can also get good answers for "what is embossing", etc. Hint—There is dry embossing and heat embossing, but both give a raised design to the paper and both are fun to do. There are so many fun techniques...don't get discouraged because you don't know all of them...none of us did at the beginning and I doubt that anyone is an expert in every technique. You'll discover the techniques you enjoy and maybe try some new ones once in a while, but you'll have some that you tend to fall back on and that's OK.

Also try not to get discouraged by the gallery, and it can be hard not to feel like you'll never be as good...and you may not be. Many of the LOs are digital or professionally done. But find your style and then just have fun with it. Although I enjoy looking at some of the "gorgeous" designs, they're not something I have any desire to do...they're just not me. If gorgeous is what you're striving for, then you can do it...just take baby steps.~Judy

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to mrsdriver5

i'll go through the gallery and then find a project I really wish i could do....then I will do it in layers over a period of days (since I probably don't hve all the supplies they do)

Sometimes i'll search the superstore for products I have already and then see what people have done with them (bottom of the page will show projects they used them in) and scraplift

bonprof
Idol
bonprof
In response to flwrgrl

Yes, I get the "block" too. I have a book called Page Maps that really helped me a lot. Remember, that your stories (layouts) are very special because you made them. Don't compare yourself to others. I have that problem once in a while. When I look at the gallary, I see things I like and don't like. Everyone has their own unique style.

Juansmom
Guru
Juansmom
In response to bonprof

Well, btwn a move and my DH traveling to Central America for several months, I have been EXTREMELY blocked...like first i couldnt get to scrapping cause the house was in disarray from the move, then didnt want to look at pics of DH because they made me so sad and lonely. Finally, i just missed the therapy of scrapping so badly, that I picked some photos, bad ones at that, and put them together with some equally badly chosen papers n stickers, a Cuttlebug embossing folder, n some fussy cutting. Basically all the elements I would usually apply in some form or fashion...but in this case i really wasnt concerned about how the final project looked, just about the process. I realized i just needed to get back to the 'process' of scrapping. I did create one of the ugliest pages ever (in my eyes!), but it did the trick, i am back in the game! And guess what? the next few LO's i did are some of the best i have ever done!!! Problem solved!! Good luck to you, maybe this will help u out!

flwrgrl
Veteran
flwrgrl
In response to Juansmom

I do really miss the 'therapy of scrapping'! On top of that, I'm finally getting my room the way I want it, after spending a good chunk of $ on furniture etc, but THAT makes me feel guilty!

scrapchica
Guru
scrapchica
In response to flwrgrl

I hate the block! Someone here once mentioned putting various ideas in a cup and pulling a slip of paper out and using that tip/technique to resolve.

GentlewoodFarms
Mayor
GentlewoodFarms
In response to scrapchica

Challenges are a great tool for helping me unblock.

Sketches are helpful too, but challenges really give me the most help - they inspire my creativity and get me going in a direction that I wouldn't have thought of by myself.

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to GentlewoodFarms

Sometimes when I have scrappers block, I just keep my project simple. A few mats for photos, a die cut and a title. I figure I can always go back when I have some inspiration to add details.

bonprof
Idol
bonprof
In response to mrsrogers52513

You don't need fancy machines or embossing to make a beautiful page!! Go back to the basics and tell your story. We are all gifted in some ways.

flwrgrl
Veteran
flwrgrl
In response to bonprof

But, I LOVE the 'look' these machines give: the scrolls, the detail...I will eventually purchase the Sizzix Big Shot.
Products Referenced in This Post:

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to flwrgrl

I also had a Big Shot and I loved it, but I didn't use it enough. I still stuck with simple layouts and using my Cricut.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics