Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Cards        (Topic#1587523)
Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 04-28-13 08:27 PM

Hi everyone! I've been finding myself making more cards lately (something I said I'd never do, but here we are) and I've bought a pack of blank white cards with envelopes. They were already scored down the middle but in the packaging they weren't actually folded. When I go to fold them, the two side edges don't line up right. They are usually off by just a bit and the bottom edges don't usually line up either...one side is usually longer than the other. Is this common with cards you buy or did I just get a bad batch? The ones I have are Recollections.

Thanks everyone for your tips and advice!

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to Vae

Vae, I've bought several packs of cards at Ms and they line up fine.....I think you got a bad batch...

SherylEb
Idol
SherylEb
In response to kiyawinn

I find lots of them that don't lineup exact. I usually fold the edges together and you'll make most of the scoring. Or you can trim a little off the edge, or turn it where the long side is on the front. Then it's not really noticeable. Unless you fold it shut it and look at it from the back.m

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale
In response to SherylEb

I use a lot of cards that come in a package like the ones you mentioned. Sometimes, I have to make a gentle adjustment by putting the edges together first and then use my bone folder to make the crease.

tanyaham
Guru
tanyaham
In response to pinkpaperairedale

I do the same thing as Sheryl and others ... mine usually don't line up exactly either.

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to tanyaham

I've been making a lot of cards lately, too. I have also found this to happen with the value packs of cards. It doesn't seem to happen as much with the prefolded cards that come in the box, but those are much more expensive! If it's really off, I trim it. If it's just a little off, I do like others said and line up the edges a bit better and recrease with my bone folder.

I'm really big into square cards right now, though, and haven't been using my prebought card forms as much.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 04-29-13 06:50 AM
In response to tanyaham

Ok thanks everyone! I need to get more and thought I'd check to see if there's anything special I should look for before I do. I've been trimming the edges so that everything lines up evenly.

Sheryl, it makes so much sense to make the long side the front size, but without fail the past 3 times I've accidentally glued my card face to the "short" side. LOL.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 04-29-13 07:22 AM
In response to Vae

Oh I also wanted to ask what size do you all usually prefer? The pack I just finished were 4 x 5.5 and they seemed just a bit smaller than I needed. Does that seem like a commonly used size or are they usually bigger?

Thanks again!

tanyaham
Guru
tanyaham
In response to Vae

I was thinking a "standard" card size was 4.25x5.5 ... basically 1/2 of an 8.5x11 sheet.

cescrapper
Expert
cescrapper
In response to tanyaham

I got a batch of k and Co. cards like that. I just cut off the ragged edges

chocolateaxel
Diva
chocolateaxel
In response to tanyaham

I used to buy the prepackaged cards like that, but they seldom lined up correctly and I got tired of refolding them or trimming them. Now I use 8 1/2 X 11 cardstock, cut in half, score it myself and buy the box of A2 envelopes at office supply. I still have a few of the other type if I ever need a larger card.

Diva
In response to chocolateaxel

I have good and not so good experiences with store bought cards and also with handmade. I think it depends on the batch or the scroing.

gin1902
Diva
gin1902
In response to bayamonesa1

The only kind I've gotten are all prefolded. With the crooked ones, I just trim the back so it matches better. Scissors. LOL

flintridgescrapper
Diva
flintridgescrapper
In response to gin1902

This makes me crazy!!!! I just try to refold it so it matches.

On the size, I do a few of the 4.25" x 5.5", but I really prefer to do 5"x7". I have more room to work. Sometimes I make my own, and sometimes I buy prefolded packs.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 04-29-13 02:41 PM
In response to flintridgescrapper

Thanks everyone!!!

I picked up 2 packs of blank ones at HL. All the notecards are 50% off this week, so I got a bunch of white ones and then some slightly larger black ones. These look to be a bit better than the last pack I bought. They are scored better anyway.

I know I can just use my cardstock but I have this unhealthy, totally bizarre obsession with hoarding my "good" black and white cardstock. Seems like I can never find the weight I want with the amount of texture I want so I have a bunch of flimsy white core cardstock and then my small stash of GOOD cardstock that I don't want to use to make cards. LOL. I'm much more likely to make them if I don't have to hunt down an envelope or think about the size or any of that.

dorichatelain
Resident
dorichatelain
In response to Vae

I bought the blank cards in the box at Michaels and they seem to be lined up fine... I Don't mind spending the little extra for the prefolded ones so I don't have to deal with folding them.

But if you do fold them and find that there is a noticeable score line on the front of the card you could always cover it with pattern paper or trim of some kind.

I make shaped cards a lot and I usually cut an extra shape so that I can put it on the front of the card to hide the fold lines.

SherylEb
Idol
SherylEb
In response to dorichatelain

The blank ones you got are a little smaller. "thinner" so to speak. I used to buy them when they were half or on clearance. Most of the time, I just make my own from a sheet of paper. And I make my own envies sometimes too.

bluemink1800
New Kid On the Block
bluemink1800
In response to SherylEb

Hi Vae-
I have had 3 packs from Recollections- They were just like the one's you described- I quit using their blank cards. I just loaded up on folded cards & envelopes at Paper Source when I was in Atlanta, Ga. a couple of weeks ago-
Good Luck :-)
Julia

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 05-01-13 12:03 PM
In response to bluemink1800

Update: HL has cards and envies on sale this week, so I picked up 2 packs. Paper Studio brand. They are just like the others in that they are scored but not folded. They are TONS better! They line up perfectly and the score is deep enough that I don't have to redo it like I did before. SO much easier. I didn't even realize how much I disliked the other ones until I used my new ones last night.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Vae

If you want to make your own, but don't want to use your good paper for it,,,,,Walmart sells 110 lb cs in huge packs for about 6 bucks,,,,,,

cheap,,,and I think there's 150 sheets in there,,,,,that will make 300 A2 cards,,,,and it's nice and heavy duty for card bases.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics