Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: organizing challenges        (Topic#1587627)
iluvmysix
Resident
iluvmysix

Hello! I have not been very active in the forum here, but I would really love to know if any of you have a solution for this problem. There are soooo many great blogs that have various challenges, using a specific sketch, or a specific color scheme or technique or even a word. I think they are great fun and add an extra layer of creativity to a wonderful hobby. But HOW on earth can a person keep them all straight and remember the deadlines for more than one or two at a time? Thanks so much for any ideas you may have!

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to iluvmysix

Jill the owner just started a class if you go to the top of the page you should be able to follow the link

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to iluvmysix

Couldn't you do something as simple as setting up a Rolodex by date? You could jot down the website address and minimal notes about the challenge. Or maybe a dataebook like a Daytimer or Franklin Planner. You could even get creative and color code the cards/pages for technique, sketch, color, word, etc.

iluvmysix
Resident
iluvmysix
In response to Sneezy1956

I did see the free class offered (and signed up, in fact, just read the first week's lesson). I thought it would only be addressing organization of my physical work space. Do you think/know if it will cover things like organizing deadlines for challenges? That would be terrific! Perhaps I just need to be patient for that lesson to show up in my inbox?

chocolateaxel
Mayor
chocolateaxel
In response to iluvmysix

When I was active in the swaps and challenges, I went online and copied a calendar page for each month, then for each swap or challenge I would mark it on the appropriate due date and highlight the date it needed to be mailed. Then I posted those on the bulletin board next to my craft table so I could always see at a glance what was to be done and coming due.

Crafting Marfa
Veteran
Crafting Marfa
In response to chocolateaxel

When I started entering challenges I tried to enter as many as I possibly could. As you say, there are so many! What I found out was that trying to enter a lot of challenges ended up stifling my creativity. I started doing things to enter the challenges, instead of doing what I wanted and find a challenge where it would fit. Pretty soon I stopped having fun creatively. Finally, I gave up the idea of entering a lot of challenges. Now I enter a couple of challenges a month, usually when I really need inspiration or when my project fits into a challenge already. That's my advice.

iluvmysix
Resident
iluvmysix
In response to dwelch

Now that has me thinking! I probably have an unused recipe box somewhere. I could make tabs with 1 - 31 for the days of the month and then file an index card with the basic requirements of the challenge. That may just be the answer I was looking for!! Thanks so much!!

Edited by iluvmysix on 05-01-13 08:29 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

iluvmysix
Resident
iluvmysix
In response to chocolateaxel

I like the idea of having a list of dates handy to see at a glance. Not sure how I could combine that with the file box idea. Definitely want to keep it simple.

iluvmysix
Resident
iluvmysix
In response to Crafting Marfa

I think you raise a very good point. It would certainly be possible to get too crazy trying to participate in EVERY challenge. Maybe I will set a limit for myself.

anda11
anda11 
Mayor
anda11
In response to iluvmysix

I bought a cute tablet at wallys that was pink glitter...a lined one.. I use it to keep track of stuff like that. I also used notebook paper in the past in a cute pink notebook.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to anda11

Don't know if you have a smart phone but my first thought was to make notes in my iphone....
It will actually give you sound reminders when a deadline is approaching...

iluvmysix
Resident
iluvmysix
In response to kiyawinn

No, I'm pretty low tech. I did wonder if there is anything online that would help with this type of thing. I have done some looking but so far haven't found anything I love.

iluvmysix
Resident
iluvmysix
In response to anda11

I like the simplicity!

SuperAllyFan
Angel
SuperAllyFan
In response to iluvmysix

I used to just type the challenges and date they were due on to Word and keep the document on my desktop ... easy peasy.

meezerpleaser
Diva
meezerpleaser
In response to SuperAllyFan

That's exactly what I do - put it on Word and keep it on my desktop. Since most of my challenges are due at the end of the month, I don't have to worry about dates that much - just the requirements of the challenge!

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to meezerpleaser

I keep a spreadsheet. But I'm a geek.

iluvmysix
Resident
iluvmysix
In response to meezerpleaser

I don't have Word. I know, that's weird.

iluvmysix
Resident
iluvmysix
In response to RedSquirrel

I don't know how to USE a spreadsheet -- and I don't have Excel. I know, weird.

SuperAllyFan
Angel
SuperAllyFan
In response to iluvmysix

Can't you just write a list?

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to SuperAllyFan

Okay, do you have Notepad or any other text-editing program? I keep tons of notes on my desktop in Notepad text files.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics