Username Post: Looking for instruction videos on how to Mix and Match papers        (Topic#1587659)
PhotobearSam
Idol
PhotobearSam

Anyone have any specific videos on how to mix and match papers. I have seen a lot of people do it I just need specifics.

I never know how many patterns to use or how to combine them. I need a lot of help. Are there any. Videos on here? YouTube? Anywhere?

From a desperate scrapper.

bonprof
Idol
bonprof
In response to PhotobearSam

OMG..there is a wonderful youtube video on working with patterned paper. Type in scrapbook videos and then patterned paper. You will love it!!

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to bonprof

Check out Glitter Girl on you tube from the veggie board she has some good videos

PhotobearSam
Idol
PhotobearSam
In response to Sneezy1956

I have seen quite a few glitter girl videos and she is amazing but I really want help to do what she does.....I don't know if I am asking this right.....just cause I can see it does not mean I am secure enough to try it myself. I am looking for guidelines, rules or tips on how to do it.

renwa33
Expert
renwa33

There aren't really rules or specific guidelines in how to mix patterns together. I struggled with it when I first started scrapping too. So I started to mix and match patterned papers (maybe 2 or 3 with a solid or 2 per layout) all taken from the same stack or pack. Those colors are made to mix and match together, so it takes some of the fear that the shades don't match out of the equation.

After doing this for a while, I found that I was more comfortable in mixing from various manufacturers. It's all trial and error, really. And there is no "wrong" way to do it...it just has to be pleasing to your eye! So, try to have fun with it!

Hope that helps!!

crichards1
Veteran
crichards1
In response to bonprof

• bonprof Said:
OMG..there is a wonderful youtube video on working with patterned paper. Type in scrapbook videos and then patterned paper. You will love it!!

I've been struggling with this, too, and am so glad I read this! The first video that comes up is great. I'm going to watch the second video later.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to crichards1

Some guidelines....

- two pattern papers with similar colours or one pattern paper and another one that has one of the colours in it from the first one
- pick two very different patterns....one with a smaller pattern and one with a large pattern, one stripe and one floral for instance...
- pick one patterned paper and another one of a similar colour but much darker or lighter...
-invest in a colour wheel (or google it) and use papers that are colours that are beside each other on the colour wheel (analogous colours) or opposite each other on the colour wheel (complimentary colours)
- be aware of "shades" of colour as well....colours that have a grey undertone for instance, look better with other colours that also have a grey undertone (a greyed pink and a greyed green for instance)
- if you are nervous about starting, try doing a theme first like Christmas or Halloween....those papers are all certain colours and tend to go together even if mixed from different lines....

Look through the gallery here....there are a lot of examples of paper mixing and matching...
Also, when you look up a paper in the store here, try clicking on one of the colour matches on the left hand side and see what comes up....you might find some other papers that go with the one you are looking at....

PhotobearSam
Idol
PhotobearSam
In response to crichards1

• crichards1 Said:
  • bonprof Said:

I've been struggling with this, too, and am so glad I read this! The first video that comes up is great. I'm going to watch the second video later.

Link please.....I did not get to the same place on my iPad for some reason.

PhotobearSam
Idol
PhotobearSam
In response to kiyawinn

• kiyawinn Said:
Some guidelines....

- two pattern papers with similar colours or one pattern paper and another one that has one of the colours in it from the first one
- pick two very different patterns....one with a smaller pattern and one with a large pattern, one stripe and one floral for instance...
- pick one patterned paper and another one of a similar colour but much darker or lighter...
-invest in a colour wheel (or google it) and use papers that are colours that are beside each other on the colour wheel (analogous colours) or opposite each other on the colour wheel (complimentary colours)
- be aware of "shades" of colour as well....colours that have a grey undertone for instance, look better with other colours that also have a grey undertone (a greyed pink and a greyed green for instance)
- if you are nervous about starting, try doing a theme first like Christmas or Halloween....those papers are all certain colours and tend to go together even if mixed from different lines....

Look through the gallery here....there are a lot of examples of paper mixing and matching...
Also, when you look up a paper in the store here, try clicking on one of the colour matches on the left hand side and see what comes up....you might find some other papers that go with the one you are looking at....

That is really helpful....thanks

rockmom
Governor
rockmom

http://www.scrapbook.com/videos/?w=mixing+patt erned+pap...

bonprof
Idol
bonprof

Just go to youtube.com enter scrapbook videos

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan
In response to bonprof

Alison (kiyawinn) gave some awesome guidelines.
I really struggled with it too and still do from time to time but a big one is have a larger looser pattern mixed with a smaller tighter pattern for starters. Start with a collection pack, soooo much easier. The colors and tones are meant to go together so its easier to focus on just learning how different patterns can work together.

Think of two pattern papers and then 2-3 solids that pull out the colors you want to highlight from the patterns.

This may sound odd but I also started looking at the embellishments that go with a collection. Many times a manufacturer will mix some of collection patterns on their embellishments (i.e. stickers, chipboard stickers, rub ons) It can really help spark your creativity.

Some that come to mind bo bunny, basic grey, fancy pants.

Edited by jaxxan on 05-04-13 04:17 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

bdhardy
Pro
bdhardy
In response to jaxxan

One thing you can try is Counterfeit Kit Challenge.

We "counterfeit" a current kit from a kit club by pulling things from our stash that resembles or feels like that kit. That helps us put together things that we normally wouldn't...especially patterned paper.

Feel free to check us out! http://counterfeitkitchal lenge.blogspot.com

scrappinmac
Expert
scrappinmac
In response to bdhardy

If you start with a stack or collection of papers that you like, you can get used to seeing how manufacturers put pp together- stripe/small print/large print/floral/background paper. If you pick up a couple sets like DCWV or Graphic45, you'll have a lot to choose from, and I know there are tons of other brands to choose from in the store here, too.

Die Cuts with a View - The Solstice Collection - Glitter and Gloss Paper Stack - 12 x 12 Graphic 45 - French Country Collection - 12 x 12 Paper Pad

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics