Username Post: How do you make time for Scrapbooking?        (Topic#1587681)
COscrapper
Veteran
COscrapper

This question is mainly for the moms out there. I LOVE scrapbooking and have been doing it since 2004. Before I had my daughter (born October 2011), I'd spend hours a day working on layouts... I literally had the time to sit in my scrapbook room and scrapbook ALL DAY (when I had a day off). Now I'm lucky to be able to get a couple of hours in per day which I try to fit in during the 1-2 hour nap my daughter takes (she doesn't take 2 naps a day, only 1). If I try to do a layout while she's awake... forget it. She wants to grab at everything on my table. At night, my daughter goes down at 9pm and will sometimes only sleep 1 1/2 hours before she wakes up and refuses to go back to sleep unless she's in our bed with us. So, how do all of the moms out there fit in time to get pages done, especially if you have babies or toddlers? I love my daughter (and we will probably start trying for #2 soon) but I do wish I could figure out a way to make more time to get pages done. Scrapbooking is my relaxing time.

Momto3infinity
Pro
Momto3infinity
In response to COscrapper

Your question made me giggle.... You kind of already know the answer - it's on hold for a bit. I have 3, now ages 12, 11 and 9. For my first, I did her scrapbook (that's when I started this wonderful hobby) when she was an infant and did sleep. When I had my second, any minute I had to spare went to her scrapbook (she's now 11 and I still have two pages to finish for her first year book-I really should get to that). Once I had my third, scrapbooking went on the back burner for SEVEN years. The odd time I'd do a page, but nothing serious. Just last year I picked it up again and did 27 birthday pages (the sum total of the kids birthdays that I hadn't yet scrapped). I finally finished the scrapbook for my youngest late last year. Now, I'm catching up year by year. My new motto is 'adopt a year' - I'm trying to stay current in my scrapping for this year as well as adopting a year, in my case it's 2007. So at the end of the year, I'll have completed two years, at least that is my hope.

Not to be a Debbie-Downer, and imho, creating those memories with the little one takes precedence over scrappin' them. BUT, don't forget to record your thoughts in a journal if you can.

Keep a smile M.

Edited by Momto3infinity on 05-02-13 11:54 AM. Reason for edit: to show that the middle child does get the shaft :)

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to Momto3infinity

I started scrapbooking when my son was 2 so I had a lot of catching up to do....
I scrapped on the weekend when DH could watch him for a bit and I scrapped in the evening sometimes after he went to bed.

I would write everything down because I knew I couldn't get to it right away....I have notes on all the milestones and cute things he said dating back years....

Now, my son is 7 yrs. old and I homeschool him so I still don't have much time in the day to scrapbook.....I try to squeeze in a day here or there!
Actually, I just got back from a scrapbook retreat that my girlfriends and I go on once a year.....it was 4 days away and it was heavenly! It went by too fast! I wish I could go more often but I am too busy to get away that much....

dabnat
dabnat 
Expert
dabnat
In response to kiyawinn

My advice is scrap when you can but write EVERYTHING down in a journal. You can always go back and scrap a memory if you have the photos, what you can't do is turn back the time clock and make memories.

I have 4- two children and two step children who are 20,20,16, and 15. We are into a lot of sports, dances, etc that come with high school and college students. Every time we have an event, I take the photos, transfer them to my computer into what I call my picture tree. Under Pictures I have a folder for each year, within that folder I have a folder for each child & major holiday, within that folder I have event folders where I actually put the photos that are specific for them and I want to make sure they get into their book. For each event I type up a word document with my memories so I don't forget and add to the event folder so I don't misplace my thoughts.

I know that sounds like a lot of work but when time allows you can "hit" the computer running. They grow up so fast, and when they get into high school, driving, friends, sports, you will find a little more time on your hands to scrap, you might even get lucky and they will help you - which is really exciting to see what they remember. I am so glad I took the time to make the memories and scrap them later than not have the memories to work with at all.

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to dabnat

Journals are an awesome suggestion.

My style relies heavily on my smart phone, tablet and facebook. Snap pics, upload to fb, or pinterest, with description. When I have time and energy, I use an app that allows me to print with a command from my phone. Also, my actual camera uses a memory card / sleeve that lets me store pictures onto my tablet for editing.

wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur
In response to Momto3infinity

• Momto3infinity Said:
e ............ Now, I'm catching up year by year. My new motto is 'adopt a year' - I'm trying to stay current in my scrapping for this year as well as adopting a year, in my case it's 2007. So at the end of the year, I'll have completed two years, at least that is my hope.

Hey, I like this idea! Maybe it's not too late for me to organize and do this ....thanks!

I also want to add that since I can't get all pictures scrapped immediately, I put my pictures in albums just on white paper or using the pocket pages. This way, at least the pictures are in proper order chronologically and in an album. I can go back and scrap as I have time.

Guru
In response to wilbur

My scrapbooking is on the back burner for the most part. I have four little ones 5 & under and a fifth due this fall.

I usually scrapbook once a month at a local church. I am so far behind on the albums for the kids it is not even funny. My craft room is a disaster area (it is sooo bad I cannot even move around in it) which I think isn't helping the cause.

Victoriaj
Resident
Victoriaj
In response to ihacodb

I just got back into scrapping this past year (my youngest is 3-1/2, then I have a 6-year-old and an 11-year-old). I think my break was five years. Definitely write stuff down. I didn't and I am really sorry because my boys have pictures but not much to go with them.

BlingQueenRia
Angel
BlingQueenRia
In response to Victoriaj

I have to squeeze in time somewhere at least a couple of times a week. It helps me wind down from crazy days at work.

dorichatelain
Resident
dorichatelain
In response to BlingQueenRia

I don't have an answer for you because I started scrapping when my daughter was in the 4th grade. We would sit for ours and scrap together. It was make when I din't have much in tools and supplies and we did everything by hand. she would get bored because we would have to cut out each letter and each shape we wanted to use with scissors. so I taught her how to use the paper cutter. She now is 20 and she is the only one that uses the paper cutter. I prefer the craft knife and straight edge. But the one thing I can say to you is sleep less create more..... hehhehehehe if it was only that easy.....

scrappercaz
Governor
scrappercaz
In response to dorichatelain

My girls were always in bed by 7 so I had my evenings free from them. Of course, there was always other stuff to do but my husband worked late usually so I did allow myself some scrap time in the evenings sometimes.

Other than that it was on the back burner for a few years until the went to school probably.

Life's just like that

Mama2Thomas
Pro
Mama2Thomas
In response to scrappercaz

I have 2 kids - DS is 6 and my DD just turned 1. With my son, he was an amazing night time sleeper, but naps forget about it! I used to scrap for a few hours a night after putting him to bed at 7 PM. Sure, there are nights I'd stayed up too late to scrap, but that was my relaxation time.

Now with 2 kids, it's about 4 times as hard to get some me time, let alone scrapbooking time. My son is now in school and sports, so I spend a lot of my free time (a.k.a. scrapbooking time) volunteering at his school and taking him to practices and games. Add the baby to the mix and most nights I don't get any down time until after 9 PM. Usually by then I'm very tired, but will still make time, maybe an hour or two to scrapbook. It's always fun but then I usually pay for it the next day when I have to be up at 5:30 to start the work day.

Edited to add: whenever I complain to my husband about not having enough time to scrapbook, he reminds me that technically, there is no "dead line" to complete pages. So for now, I try to take as many pictures as I can and keep a journal.

Edited by Mama2Thomas on 05-06-13 06:20 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics