Username Post: Same old, same old        (Topic#1587701)
New Kid On the Block

We vacation at in Wildwood Crest, Nj every Summer. My scrapbooks from each Summer are starting to look exactly the same. How do I change it up a bit? Could use some tips so I don't have multiple pictures of my boys with the same background year after year. (although it IS fun to see how they grow each year!) Thanks!

bonprof
Diva
bonprof
In response to Karenschade

If you go to Amazon.com you will find some really cool books on scrapbooking. There are some that deal with traveling, etc. You can get the used books for really cheap. I have found these books so helpful in changing up my pages.

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS
In response to bonprof

DH and I go on a cruise every year and I ran into the same problem. To mix it up I started changing my albums each year. I've done a SNAP album, a smash book, 8x8 albums, this year I'm going with a WER Memory Keeper's album with the pocket pages.

I found switching it up keeps ideas flowing and makes each album different even if the photos look pretty much the same.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 05-03-13 08:42 AM
In response to MrsAnnieS

I kind of like that you can see how they grow up from year to year.

I wonder though, are you asking how to make the scrapbooks themselves different, or how to change up the pictures some?

For the scrapbooks themselves, maybe you can do a different color/pattern theme for each year. Or perhaps come up with some kind of game that changes each year. Maybe some "where's waldo" type pages where the person who is looking through the album gets challenged to find particular landmarks that are favorites.

For this year's, have the kids stand on their heads leaning against a wall or a tree or something. It would be the same background as last year, but upside down Try taking pictures of the area from a different perspective. Lay on the ground and take from below. Try different exposures/settings.

How fun that you have such a great tradition every summer! Enjoy it!

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to MrsAnnieS

I didn't read your comment as wanting to change the type of album you use....more like you want to change the photos and emotion and stories of the album so it's different each year.....

So, I would put all the photos into one album (if you haven't already) and I would take the obligatory photo of your boys so you can see the change each year.....and then I would pick a theme each year and take photos of the places you visit, the food you eat, the games you play, the friends you meet, your favourite things about the place etc....
We go camping each year and I have found that I end up thinking of things to do to MAKE it different.....last year, we did a scavenger hunt and we go on hikes etc...I did a page with a poem and how I love nature/outdoors....
You can also take a photo of each child doing something they love and talk about their favourite activities.....or get them to write something about why they love going there and put it in the album...
You can do a page for each child about what family means to you and what you want them to learn from you/from each other....

Look at the whole thing as a book....not separate vacations so to speak...
Have fun with it!

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan
In response to kiyawinn

As for the pictures being the same....you may have already done this, but maybe give the boys the camera or get them a disposable one to take pictures. It can be really interesting to see their view point or what things capture their attention from year to year.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to jaxxan

How about having the whole family pose the same for one picture every year, and have that as a comparison? I know, that isn't a suggestion for a different way, just different content. You have some wonderful ideas here.

Juansmom
Guru
Juansmom
In response to RedSquirrel

What about checking out some of the scrap challenges, and then shooting pics and scrapping them according to the parameters of the challenge? Something totally out of your norm? or dont do the typical poses in typical places...have the kids think of crazy poses, places, etc.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to Juansmom

This is hard since we aren't sure exactly what your asking I love the idea of doing a different type format like using the we're memory keeper I'm planning on adding those type pages to my disney album this year since I'll be taking my granddaughters. I'm planning on handing my little camera to my granddauthers and having them taking pictures they are 3 and 6.

Have you thought about handing everyone in the family camera's instead of you being the main photographer. How about handing a different person the camera each day and that person is responsible for that day. They will get different shots then you normally do.

anda11
anda11 
Mayor
anda11
In response to Sneezy1956

I like Jane's suggestions to give the kids the camera or other people too.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics