Page 3 of 5 
Username Post: Get it Together ALL DAY Challenge (NSD 2013)        (Topic#1587727)
New Kid On the Block
In response to arlsmom

I finally organized my digital photos from my trip to Orlando last November. I created folders for each location (i.e. which park or our resort) for each of the 5 days, then named the photos in chronological order. I also had to search for some photos on my friends' Facebook pages, and I renamed those and put them in the appropriate folders.

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit
In response to Megan - ForumTech

I've been organizing my son's pictures from 6 months on....and he's almost 2 years old now! Anyway, I went for simple. I bought photo albums and arranged the pics in chronological order. In some of the sleeves I put in notecards with journaling, dates, how many months old he was at the time, special things that I wanted to remember later when I get around to scrapping them, etc.

I did physical sorting/organizing this time, but when I organize my digital files, I put them in folders/subfolders titled "year->month->occas ion".

New Kid On the Block
In response to Jln328

I use the Iris photo cases from Hobby Lobby: Today I got my 2013 photos in a case. I only print what I will scrapbook and sort by years. I have been pulling out my 1998 photos that were never scrapbooked for challenges today! Having fun!

Edited by Megan - ForumTech on 05-04-13 04:11 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

tinadn
tinadn 
Queen
tinadn
In response to Jln328

I am not going to be able to complete this challenge in time, but do hope to get some organinzing done next week.

jengd
jengd 
New Kid On the Block
jengd
  • jengd on 05-04-13 03:47 PM
In response to Jln328

Normally I store my printed pictures chronologically in a Cropper Hopper Photo box (http://store.scrapbook.com/ch-chcna-bl.html). However, I took over 1200 photos in Jan. at Disney and printed over 600 of them. I'm keeping these in their shipping envelopes but I just sorted them out into these categories: meet & greets, sets/scenes/plants/etc., day/park, hotel, travel. That's the way I'm scrapping them so it makes sense to sort them now. I'd started this a bit before but as I've started scrapping the trip, quite a few pix had gotten moved around as I decided how I'd scrap it all. I cleaned it all up and actually labelled the envelopes (duh. Much easier than thumbing through like I have been.) [image]http://www.scrapbook.com/galleries/620703/view /3928795/-1/0/1.html[/image] [image]http://www.scrapbook.com/galleries/620703/view /3928799/-1/0/1.html[/image]
Products Referenced in This Post:

Edited by jengd on 05-04-13 04:54 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

all4ty
all4ty 
Diva
all4ty
In response to Jln328

I stay on top of printing pictures, but it's getting them organized digitally that I struggle with....or just don't do. So I took a BUNCH, well over the required 100, organized them by date and event, and moved them to CDs and off my camera's memory card.

Tracy F
Governor
Tracy F
In response to all4ty

I just spent the whole afternoon, in between scrapping of course, reorganizing my photos. I have a plastic container that holds 12 smaller photo holders. I think they each hold about 100 photos. I went through and organized them by date and event and even labeled the containers. Now I can throw out my well used cardboard box I've been using! YAY!

Tenant
In response to Jln328

This was actually a really convenient challange for me. I have been meaning to sort my digital pictures for ages. I had done several back ups in the past and I had the same pictures twice,three or even four times. Some pictures were lost since my laptop was stolen a month ago.
So I took this day to re-arrange all my pictures, and even also made a copy of pictures that other members of the familly had.
I work with number.. so I´m a bit convencional, so I arrange them by date of the event. For me usually is easier to find them that way. Nothing too fancy
Thanks for giving me the little push I needed in order to start this task that seems boring but its soo useful!

SJB1120
Expert
SJB1120
In response to jengd

I have a "scrapbooking folder" on my computer where I store photos by project. When I'm going to work on that project I can pull out the entire folder or break it down into subfolders. Doing digital, I also keep all my supplies organized by type. Once I've scrapped the photos, I store them in a "scrapped" folder so I know I've used them.

-Stephanie

chaton_13
Pro
chaton_13
In response to Jln328

Are we supposed to describe our process here, or can we do it in the photo description?

Kels
Kels 
Marketing Goddess
Kels
  • Kels on 05-04-13 04:50 PM
In response to chaton_13

Please describe it here You may also copy it to the photo description!

OlesyaK.
Diva
OlesyaK.
In response to Kels

got mine done!
I have a system for sorting out printed pics that works best for me: I got a 5*7 dollar store quality album, and a pack of sticky notes. I sort the images by date/occasion or just put them together if they will be on the same layout. then I file them into the album pockets (5*7 size means I can easily fit a pack of 4-6-8-10 regular size photos in one pocket) and mark on the sticky notes how many pics and what orientation. It makes it super easy to find the right pics for the sketch challenges: need two horizontal pics? just find the pocket with the sticky note.

get it together - part1 By OlesyaK.
get it together - part2 By OlesyaK.

Capucine
Idol
Capucine
In response to Jln328

Great timing as I had to empty my camera cards.

I transfer all the photo to my computer into folders labeled by subject (family, trips, renovation) then by year, by month and finally I add a sub-folder if the pics were from a special event. For example, today I transferred 243 pics from a birthday party we attended a week ago. Therefore, they went into my folders FAMILY -> 2013 -> APRIL -> Rose's Birthday

chaton_13
Pro
chaton_13
In response to Capucine

OK....I just emptied an SD card I've had for almost a year! I have a Mac, so luckily my organizing isn't too hard, but 487 photos is waaaaaaay more than I ever want to do again in one sitting!!!! I still have some left, but not much. Question is, how does one take a photo of it?

I organize the folders by:
Random Aaron pics
Random Aaron Sarah Pics
Random Elijah pics
Puppies
Pregnancy photos
Scrappy projects
Asa pics
Etc....

vanilaa
Expert
vanilaa
In response to chaton_13

digital organisation:
I organise per year/date. I have one folder for each decade (and one "before I was born" for old pics I scanned), and inside those I have one folder for each year. If one event has lots of pictures, it gets its own folder.
It looks like this:
2010-2019 --> 2013 --> 20130131_event-people01 or
2010-2019 --> 2013 --> wedding x&y --> 20130415_people01
So far I can find everything. Have tried to organise with Photoshop Elements as soon as I bought it 2 years ago but was totally overwhelmed. I may give it another try this year

Printed photos organisation:
Once I receive my photos, I reorganise them per event or people inside the sleeves they came in. When I have time (like today!), I put the photos in a photo box (dividers: us, close family, friends, events, vacation, every day life). The photos I'm not sure I want to scrap get into a small album which I browse when I need inspiration.

Today I didn't manage to organise the 575 photos I had printed, but I organised 2 events into a photo box (59 and 37 pictures) and renamed 67 photos from 2010 which still had "IMG_xxx" as name... still 284 to go! Now it's 3.30 a.m. and I'm going to bed.
Thanks for organising this great iNSD again! I had lots of fun!

senora_x
Angel
senora_x
In response to Megan - ForumTech

I just started a system this year that is working well so far. At the end of each month I download all my pics and print. I save my pics digitally to an external hard drive and they are in folders by month and year. I use the 12x12 3 ring binders by American Crafts for my layouts and have one (or two or three) per year. In addition to storing my finished layouts in these albums I also use the 4x6 divided page protectors to put all my pics in for storage. I don't scrap an any order I just flip through for inspiration and when layout is done it goes back in the album with the remaining pics!

I was doing good but slacked in March. Thanks to today's challenge I am all caught up for the year and have all pics to date for this year in an album!

ann.mann
New Kid On the Block
ann.mann
In response to Jln328

I used the Cropper Hopper Double sided Photo storage case in blue. It hold HUNDREDS of photos. I had bought it but hadn't gotten around to using it. Thanks for the challenge! I was also able to store the disc for the photos in the box by removing a few dividers. LOVE IT! Ann
http://store.scrapbook.com/ch-chcna-bl.html

New Kid On the Block
In response to Jln328

I printed the pictures I knew I wanted in an album. Then I sort them into how they will be grouped in the album. The open box is the most recent trip to Disney, so there is a section for the new Cars land, the parade, the snacks we ate, etc. Each trip needing to be scrapped is in a separate box.

Hjordis
New Kid On the Block
Hjordis
In response to joannepeterson4

I store digital pictures by date on my computer. I put printed photos in photo albums in chronological order and write the date and details on the back of each photo.

Amarilys
Diva
Amarilys
In response to Jln328

I just finished organizing my Jan-May 2013 pictures digitally. I organize by date so everything is in chronological order. Here's the format that I use:
'year_month_day Brief Description of the event

I've been doing this format for years now and it works wonderfully for me.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, I forgot to add, I only print the picture(s) I need, at the right size, when I need it so I don't have any pictures printed that need to be organized. That's why the digital format works so well for me

Edited by Amarilys on 05-04-13 06:11 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Page 3 of 5 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics