Username Post: Mod Podge Aargh        (Topic#1587761)
chiller2000
New Kid On the Block
chiller2000

Hi, I'm a newbie to scrapping and crafts in general. Most of what I'm attempting to do right now is creating layouts but on hard surfaces (wood boxes, travertine tiles, etc) that require a base coat to adhere the images and a top coat for protection and durability.
Does anyone know a technique for applying a top coat of mod podge without having it dry with streaks? I've used bristle brushes, foam brushes, make up sponges and even my finger to apply and I always get dried streaks.
Or... does anyone have a better product for top coating?
Products Referenced in This Post:

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to chiller2000

For sealing a larger project, try Self-Leveling Clear Gel made by Golden.

If its a smaller project you're coating, Glossy Accents and Diamond Glaze are great, but sold in small bottles.

Hope that helps and welcome to the neighborhood

GemGirl
Expert
GemGirl

Poster above is correct; plus, depending on the humidity level in your location, Mod Podge might not ever completely dry to your satisfaction (it stays forever slightly tacky here), & some have encountered having it yellow after a number of years.

Golden brand products have served me well for many years (and, no, I have no connection to the company).

chiller2000
New Kid On the Block
chiller2000
In response to GemGirl

Thank you both so much for the information. I'll give Golden's a try. Goodness, it's rather expensive getting into scrapping and crafts. Guess I'll sell another grandkid.

srichter
Resident
srichter

The link to the mod podge product you've provided is also to the glossy brand. You might want to try the matte version and see if you experience the same problem. I've used it and I don't experience the tackiness that others have referred to, but I'm also in Nova Scotia, Canada so we don't struggle with the same weather that might cause a drying issue.

chiller2000
New Kid On the Block
chiller2000
In response to srichter

I am using the glossy, I like glossy and shiney (oooh shiney). Do you think I'm using too much or too little mod podge? Or does it make any difference. Does everyone have this issue with mod podge or is it just me?

Wendy L
Expert
Wendy L

There are spray fixatives available in both mat and gloss finish. I have used micador brand successfully. The only downside is that it needs to be used outside because of the fumes, but it does give a great finish. The Golden clear tar gel is also good if you prefer a product you can brush on.

lakauai
Resident
lakauai

I always water down the Mod Podge when i use it, seems to make it easier to spread and of course dries faster. I use the matte kind and have never had a problem with the streaks. Good luck finding something that works for you!

chiller2000
New Kid On the Block
chiller2000
In response to lakauai

Thank you both for the excellent suggestions. I will try watering down the mod podge. That would help the budget too . I'm also experimenting with just using a clear spray acrylic for sealing. Wish me luck.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda

I just made some photo tile/coasters with glossy Mod Podge. I used a foam brush, lots of coats, light strokes.

Then after fully dry, I lightly wet sanded with 400 and 600 grit sandpaper, then sprayed with clear acrylic to seal.

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to Bxr-Linda

I've never had a problem when using a foam brush with Mod Podge, but I usually always use the matte finish one. You might just have to do trial and error with different products. I would try a spray sealer.

Maevins
New Kid On the Block
Maevins

I make my own mod podge (1 part water to 2 parts glue)
Also make my own gesso (water, glue, house paint and baby powder) then use a fine sand paper second coat opposite direction then sand down again.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics