Username Post: Braille Scrapbooking ?        (Topic#1587827)
Im a Believer
Mayor
Im a Believer

Hi Girls ~ I am a volunteer for Make a Wish - I am provided with the photos of a Wish that has been granted for a child and then put together the memories of their Wish.

My new project is one I have never had before.

It was a trip to Disney World that was provided for a child that is blind and has a life threatning illness and their family.

Although the rest of the family can see the book - I want to make this special for the child also.

Can anyone offer any suggestions to impliment that into the album?

My husband had a wonderful idea to scrap their pictures and mementos on one side - and somehow make the other side in a way that she can "feel" the experience.

I'm at a loss for ideas.

Any help would be appreciated ~

Momto3infinity
Pro
Momto3infinity
In response to Im a Believer

You could contact the American Foundation for the Blind and ask them to help you 'translate' the journaling and paste it on the opposing page. You could use a stylus to create your own Braille to describe the pics briefly. And finally, you could make some of the pages interactive. ie add a touch of tulle for Tinker Bells's wings or perhaps a little plastic coin for Pirates of the Caribbean. Hth

Im a Believer
Mayor
Im a Believer
In response to Momto3infinity

GREAT ideas! Thanks so Much!!!!

SJB1120
Expert
SJB1120

I think this is a WONDERFUL thing!!! I think you've been given a lot of great suggestions, may I also suggest adding sound? That way, when she's interacting with the pages, she'll also be able to hear different sounds (ie "It's a Small World, or the Pirates of the Caribbean theme song, Mickey's voice greeting them, etc).

Personally I've never worked with them, but there are a few products out there, like PictureThatSound, and Sounds Easy!

Let us know how it goes!

-Stephanie

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to SJB1120

Some fabulous ideas there!

All I've got is bells, embossing folders and things that feel nice like velvet.

dorichatelain
Resident
dorichatelain
In response to RedSquirrel

This is an awesome thing you do. I would love to do something this wonderful for special people.

beebuzz
Diva
beebuzz
In response to dorichatelain

Big fabric Mickey's ears that can be played with
A bow for Minnie
Pluto's dog tag
Feathers for Donald and Daisy

Goofy is stumping me though

Im a Believer
Mayor
Im a Believer
In response to dorichatelain

• dorichatelain Said:
This is an awesome thing you do. I would love to do something this wonderful for special people.

Dori ~ If you contact your local state chapter of Make a Wish - I would imagine all the states do this for the children. If not suggest it & start it!

I am in Nebraska so my state chapter is located in Omaha and Lincoln and all the wishes of Children in Nebraska are provided with an album - Make a Wish even pays for the development of film.

It is an AMAZING charity ~ All proceeds benefit the children. We are all volunteers.

terrihooper
Mayor
terrihooper

You could also see if a local school has a special education department with a braille machine. You can type up the journaling in Braille and put it on the pages.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 05-06-13 06:53 PM
In response to terrihooper

I love the idea of adding sound! I know in some of the greeting cards you can record your own message... I wonder if you could remove that thing from a greeting card and add it to the scrapbook and her family can record a message? And love the idea of disney sounds as well.

Plus anything with texture. Soft flowers, flocking, gem flourishes, etc. Maybe you could do some interactive pull out tags that have shakers (I don't know what you really call these but like a little window with some stars inside that move around). Plus there's that ribbon that has a lot of ruffles... i don't know what it's called either but it's so soft and pretty. I don't know how old she is so not really sure what maturity level it needs to be at. I love the idea of the bells

anda11
anda11 
Mayor
anda11

There is a blind school here in our city that has been here for years. I would bet they have those braille machines. See if your city has a blind school.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics