Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Scrapbook Shopping        (Topic#1587843)
lamaldonado01
New Kid On the Block
lamaldonado01

Due to all my excitement to start scrapbooking, I went to Michaels today to start buying supplies and let me just say, I have never been so overwhelmed!

When I was a little kid, I LOVED stamps, pens, stickers, EVERYTHING crafty you could possibly think of and today, I was in heaven. I don't know why I didn't start scrapbooking earlier! It's easy to see why someone can go broke shopping for supplies. Everything seems worth getting! But I'm glad to say, after two hours of roaming the same 6 aisles I got what I think I needed and am now ready to begin my first scrapbooking project!

Is everyone's first time supply shopping as overwhelming but exciting?!

Happy Scrapping Everyone,

Lauren

bonprof
Diva
bonprof
In response to lamaldonado01

Hi Lauren,

I spend tons of money on stuff. I am obsessed. It is easy to do. I am happy for you and your new hobby. Maybe set a monthly budget for supplies; I will do the same. I must practice what I preach.

(scrapbooking since 2001, but did not really get "into it" until 2008).

Donna

bonprof
Diva
bonprof
In response to bonprof

Hi again Lauren,

I guess I didn't really answer your question, but merely started babbling on and on. Yes, I was overwelmed with my first shopping trip, and I continue to be overwelmed because I want EVERYTHING. I don't know where you live, but out here in Southern California, we have two stores by the name of Wootens. OMG. So many beautiful scrapbooking supplies. Wow.

Thanks,
Donna

joshuaminh426
Resident
joshuaminh426
In response to bonprof

Use Michael's coupons which are in their weekly ads. The 40% off ones really do come in handy. I just bought a border punch that's normally $18 for around $11. Plus, sometimes Michael's has weird sales or markdowns. I picked up another punch and saw the markdown price of $3. I took it the clerk and said the price didn't look right. He checked and it actually cost 1 penny. Yes, very expensive punch was markdown to a penny. Of course, I bought. So look for things like that at Michael's.

Personally, I think Joanne's has a bigger selection of stuff, but I still hit Michael's for cardstock and other things.

writtencards
New Kid On the Block
writtencards
In response to joshuaminh426

Michaels coupons are also available on their Apps. I used 40% off this past weekend.

I like swaps. Another forum I am on has monthly swaps. People will post their "WishList" (which needs to be updated once they received their items). Each person sends out 3 items.

Is there a swap here?

SJB1120
Expert
SJB1120
In response to writtencards

There's a WHOLE section of swaps!! It's in the Interactive Fun section!

-Stephanie

BJscrapsalot
Governor
BJscrapsalot
In response to SJB1120

ahhh... swaps... a whole nother addiction!

Try not too buy too many things at first until you realize what your style is. It is so easy to get drawn into buying everything that you think is cute. Go and browse through the gallery to find things you like to help you get an idea of what you would like to try. Have fun!!

New Kid On the Block
In response to BJscrapsalot

I'm just starting out with scrapbooking and have found some great supplies at the dollar store. I didn't want to tie up a whack of money if I found I didn't like it or was terrible at it.

BUT...I have spent a lot of time roaming Michael's and Walmart looking at all the goodies!!

Can anyone recommend a good all-around paper cutter? Maybe mid range price wise? Thanks

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to harley0627

I have a Fiskars paper trimmer. The blades seem to last quite a while and I think it works great for my needs. I think it was regular $24.99 or $29.99, but I used a coupon for 50% off.

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale
In response to mrsrogers52513

I would suggest a Fiskars. It is super easy to replace the blade and the replacements are cheap. You can PM me if you want more info.

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to pinkpaperairedale

I just got replacement blades for mine, and with my coupon I think it was less than $5 for a two-pack.

crichards1
Veteran
crichards1

I would suggest not getting the least expensive Fiskars. The second or third one up in price is so much better!

Edited by crichards1 on 08-04-13 05:08 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to crichards1

I LOVE my Fiskars rotary - so much that I bought a second one which stays packed in my scrap wagon.

When I started scrapbooking I was a single parent, self-supporting because I didn't take child support - I wanted to do it myself. And I did. I'm stubborn like that. The courts ordered my ex to send child support checks, he didn't, and I decided I could support them myself and I did. But it didn't leave money left over.

But... budget was tight so I didn't even have a trimmer to start out. Just got the pages I needed for a particular layouts and embellies were not an option. There was no scrapbook shopping.

That was in 2006. I wanted to scrap Bill and my romantic journey (we were engaged as teenagers and broke up for 38 years). I wanted to scrap our relationship but we were in two different states so there wasn't much to scrap. Which was a good thing on my budget.

Then I moved to Florida and real estate started picking up so I had a few good deals close and started buying scrapbook supplies.

Next I married Bill and retired almost completely and budget got a little more comfortable.

Now I get social security and have no bills or obligations. Isn't scrapbrook supplies the reason they send me these social security checks every month?

Now I'm able to buy pretty much what I want.

But going back to your original question - my early scrapbook supply days were really skimpy. With mortgage, car, credit cards, second mortgage, utilities and everything else I was paying by myself I really had to keep it in check then. I think I've since made up for it though!

Mama2Thomas
Pro
Mama2Thomas
In response to lamaldonado01

• lamaldonado01 Said:

Is everyone's first time supply shopping as overwhelming but exciting?!

My first time shopping was filled with nervousness and definitely overwhelming. I remember leaving my local scrapbooking store with just a paper trimmer and nothing else. I'm very cheap so it's very hard to me to buy impulsively. I still remember thinking that perhaps I better do more research on scrapbooking before investing anymore than the paper trimmer... LOL. Well 6 years later, I'm still buying and scrapping. I usually stock up at scrapbook expos, or sometimes when Michaels has a 25% off coupon for ALL purchases including sale priced items. Have fun!

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to Mama2Thomas

I have a hard time spending money on certain things, unless it's a gift card or my mom or someone is taking me shopping, then I'm a little better at loading up my cart!

Juansmom
Guru
Juansmom

Dont buy a lot of stickers, etc at first...do some layouts to see how you like to scrap! Also...dont get crazy buying a lot of tools right away...some are just not good quality, or there are better options. Look for opinions on products and tools here on SB.com. The fiskars cutters mentioned above are great! Have fun but be sure to create more than u shop!!!

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to Juansmom

I agree with Chris. See how you scrap before you go on a shopping spree, or you may end up with things forever that you'll never use!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

I agree with them too.

There is something they don't tell you. At night when you turn the lights out - scrapbook stuff multiplies. Its amazing. I don't know how it happens.

Just buy what you love - if you have to convince yourself to buy it or talk your self into it - you don't love it enough.

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to Henri Jean

The only convincing I do is all the reasons to tell my husband why I need it!

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny

I'm the opposite - sometimes my husband is the one who has to talk me INTO a purchase.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics