Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: color editing photos for scrapping        (Topic#1587887)
OlesyaK.
Diva
OlesyaK.

I've been playing with color settings on the photos last night, and thought I'd ask fellow scrappers.. other than auto fix colors and exposure, how else do you color edit the photos? I've seen accent colors with black and white, plain black & white, sepia. The effect I liked most was Holga effect - with partial color fade, slightly darkened edges, very neat! On our last studio photo shoot the photographer edited the photos to half-sepia half-color, very interesting - but I couldn't figure out how to do that in Picasa.
Please share some ideas! I need to color edit the shots for the blue/teal mini, the pics are all very busy shots and editing out the color would help tremendously I think..

IzzyB
IzzyB 
Mayor
IzzyB
  • IzzyB on 05-07-13 08:45 AM
In response to OlesyaK.

I really like picmonkey. It has many photo editing options and most are free. You might try that site. It offers many of the effects you mentioned.

DittoBabyGirl
Governor
DittoBabyGirl
In response to IzzyB

I use Photosop and PSP. As far as free programs I stumbled across this one http://pixlr.com/editor/

I use it at work since its an online program and I didn't have to download it

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan
In response to DittoBabyGirl

Depending on where you print they might have some editing features such as a fade to center, vignette styles and a slider for sepia level of tone.

If you are starting to get into more creative editing you might want to consider getting photoshop elements, its way more affordable than photoshop. Also take a look at Nik Software not as expensive and very user friendly.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to jaxxan

I have PhotoShop Elements, which is a cut-down version of PhotoShop and a lot cheaper. It's still a pretty big learning curve but I love it.

I managed to use it to turn a miserable photo black and white except for the red and blue for our Jubilee celebrations last year, and it saved the photo from being binned. It would have been so dark and depressing otherwise, and it was one of only 2 that I took and I really wanted to scrap it. I can upload it if you want me to.

If you would like me to recolour your photos for you, please feel free to PM me.

wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur
In response to RedSquirrel

I use kodak for editing (an older application disk). I'm not sure if you can get this off their site They have a feature called cartoon that makes regular photos look like a cartoon. It's kindof different and something you might use once or twice. Kodak also has spotlight that makes a photo light in the center and dark on the background, like a spotlight.

AmyWho
AmyWho 
Mayor
AmyWho
In response to wilbur

Here is a free one http://www.ononesoftware.com/free/

scrappercaz
Governor
scrappercaz
In response to AmyWho

I love Photoshop Elements too and I love playing with actions...I've got hundreds so I couldn't tell you which are my favourites!

I got some free and others I paid for.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to scrappercaz

love love LOVE picmonkey,,,,

it's free, although some of the more advanced applications require an upgrade,,,,,however, you can try them first,,,

Ive never needed the advanced applications to have some gorgeous pics,,,

my sister asked me who I used for a photographer because she wanted to hire them,,,,

um,,,,,me?? I am not a good photographer,,,,I just know how to use picmonkey

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to CommaHolly

Love pic monkey it has the polirod action I've been hunting for

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to Sneezy1956

Well, since you said you already have Picasa and it doesn't sound like you are asking about other programs.....
In Picasa, I use the sharpen feature a lot, I convert to black and white and use the saturate feature sometimes (especially good if you have a beach or sunset picture to bring out the colours!)
I also use the polaroid feature sometimes....
If you want to soften busy coloured photos, you could use the soften feature in Picasa, convert to black and white or just print your pictures on vellum.....that softens them quite a bit and is a pretty cool look....

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to kiyawinn

This brings up another question on color editing...how much do you do? I'm never sure if I want to scrap a picture the way it really was or if I want to edit it to make it more outstanding. I take a lot of sunset pictures, but with editing they have even more colors...but it's not the way we really saw the sunset. KWIM?

Do you scrap your pictures for "truth" or for "beauty"? I take out power lines or a bush sprouting out of someone's head, but otherwise, I'm never sure how much I want to do. What do you do?~Judy

AmyWho
AmyWho 
Mayor
AmyWho
In response to mrsdriver5

Both! For me, I think it depends on the photo and my mood at the time that I'm editing. Although, I have noticed that lately I seem to end up with the same look. I don't do much to change color but I do love the clarity and vibrancy sliders in LR4. Ok, and the graduated filter and a little bit of vignetting. I do clone things out that I think are distracting too. Hmmm...maybe I do more editing than I thought.

I don't think there is anything wrong at all making your photos look the way you see them in your mind, not just how you see them with your eyes. I say, edit away and have fun you could always do two versions if you can't decide!

scrappercaz
Governor
scrappercaz
In response to AmyWho

I edit out random things that spoil a picture - like a trash can or a tree branch growing out of someone's head, I also convert to B&W quite a bit.

I have no problem with editing...our memories will usually glamourise things a bit anyway....how often do we talk about seeing things through rose tinted glasses?

I haven't edited photos of my kids when they wer small particularly but my more recent, current photos I do tend to edit to make them look the best they can.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel

• mrsdriver5 Said:
This brings up another question on color editing...how much do you do? I'm never sure if I want to scrap a picture the way it really was or if I want to edit it to make it more outstanding. I take a lot of sunset pictures, but with editing they have even more colors...but it's not the way we really saw the sunset. KWIM?

Do you scrap your pictures for "truth" or for "beauty"? I take out power lines or a bush sprouting out of someone's head, but otherwise, I'm never sure how much I want to do. What do you do?~Judy

My pictures often look correct on the camera and the computer, but when they come out of the new printer, the colours are muted. For that reason, I brighten up the ones I want to print, but only so that they are truer to life.

Yes I've edited photos. I had two almost identical photos of a group, and in each one a different person was blinking. I cut one of the non-blinking faces and pasted it into the other photo, so technically it is not true life - but it was the second before I pressed the shutter! That kind of thing I'm happy with. I wouldn't paste in someone who wasn't there though!

wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur

• mrsdriver5 Said:

I crop many of my pictures and also need to adjust the brightness/lightness on most. The place where I have them developed prints them on the darker side so I have to adjust for this.

lakauai
Resident
lakauai

I've used both PicMonkey and Pixlr. Like them both, but I think I prefer Pixlr. It's format is a lot like Photoshop, which I'm used to using on my laptop. I just use Pixlr when I'm not at home or on another computer.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to lakauai

As far as printing true to life or adjusting I do a little of both.....most of my pictures are pretty good straight out of the camera because I try very hard to work with my camera and get the best I can out of it. But, I do convert and do a little bit of all kinds of stuff if I wan a spectacular photo.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5

I do like Rosey, replace a bad shot of one person in a group with a good shot, or one Thanksgiving, two people took pictures of all of us around the table, then I just took one of the photos and put the missing person in so we were all there instead of scrapping two separate pics to get them both in.

My dad's 2 front teeth were decayed because of years of using oxygen. He wanted those two teeth fixed. He knew he was dying and didn't want to go through lots of dental work...he just wanted to look nice, but no dentist he went to would do it. They all insisted he had to have other teeth fixed first, so in photos of his later years, if the shot was close enough to see his teeth well, I always "clean" them up.

Hubby went through the same go-round with a tooth that fell out and no dentist would fix it for him because of some health issues. Now he has the tooth replaced, but for those missing-tooth years, I clone a tooth when it's a close-up shot.

Or, if a granddaughter has a huge zit in the middle of her face...it's temporary anyway...it doesn't need to be in the picture. We all know what teen-age years are like...it doesn't need documentation :>)

My problem is more for color-editing sunsets, etc., but I agree that many of the pictures need some adjustments for printing.~Judy

OlesyaK.
Diva
OlesyaK.

• mrsdriver5 Said:

I have two monitors at work and one at home.. let me tell you, the same photo looks TOTALLY different on all of them! so color editing is hard, really hard! after a while, even I am not sure if the sunset in reality was number one or number two...
as for the editing, I was thinking more along the lines of creative coloring and/ or special effects applied to the photos specifically for the purpose of scrapping them later. like black and white. obviously, somewhere there will be a color version as well..

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics