Username Post: Ideas for embellishing an altered box for a man!!        (Topic#1587889)
tribet2006
Veteran
tribet2006

I am trying to alter a mini dresser for a man....i covered it in paper and on the top i would like to embellish it.... I need some lift and i do not want to use flowers....any ideas of what i can do to get a 3d grouping on the top of it without useing flowers... For a woman i usually start with flowers then start adding embellishments to it....but what can i use for a man???

SuperAllyFan
Angel
SuperAllyFan
In response to tribet2006

How about gears?

SuperAllyFan
Angel
SuperAllyFan
In response to SuperAllyFan

something like this?

Sam's Calendar 2010 - May By SuperAllyFan

tribet2006
Veteran
tribet2006

I need something to prop them up..i have gears...and watch faces and bottle caps... i need
something to start the cluster...to start the 3d effect...If i was doing this for a girl i would like start with a cluster of flowers and glue it down...and then lean or stuff the gears in the flowers....but i want to try and stay away from flowers.
Thank you for your response.

tribet2006
Veteran
tribet2006

Thats a cute layout...but looking for a 3D arrangement...not flat. I get so frustrated when trying to alter for a man...i love flowers so much....its so easy to embellish stuff for girls ....

Babylou
Diva
Babylou

You could use leaves or vines of some sort as a starter.
Otherwise, I would use a clock, watch face, or similar item standing up as a starting point.
Or if you know this person's hobbies or likes, use something related to that. Maybe tools, or bullet casings, or wheels from a toy truck or something.
I think once you get an idea of what you want to do, it will be easier then you think.
Just be sure to have fun!

tribet2006
Veteran
tribet2006
In response to Babylou

Thank you for your suggestions... Im just not sure that any metal object would hold standing straight up, even when i use E6000. But i will try the clock face and gears from the suggetion i had earlier.
Thank you for your time.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956

what kind of truck or car does he drive? See if you can find a matchbox that is the same and use it as your starting point...if not that if he fishes maybe a favorite lure.

Nancy Keslin
Queen
Nancy Keslin
In response to Sneezy1956

what about the new Tim Holtz Clock?

It is fairly large and would be able to support a number of items. The interior of the clock would allow for a good amount of embellishment as well.
Products Referenced in This Post:

tribet2006
Veteran
tribet2006
In response to Sneezy1956

That is a great idea!! Thank you for your comment.

tribet2006
Veteran
tribet2006
In response to Nancy Keslin

The clock would be so perfect if it was a few inches smaller...maybe i can find a smaller clock and gut the inside... Thats a cool idea....Thank you for taking the time to comment.
Patricia

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny

Is this for a specific man? What does that man like? If I were embellishing something for my dad or husband or brother, I wouldn't start with their car or fishing or machinery (as much as I personally like using gears). I'd start with cardinals or movie paraphernalia for my dad, books or baseball for my brother, baseball or video games or chemistry for my husband. To me, this kind of project would be ALL about what the recipient would like.

For example, if someone made me something decorative and began embellishing it by using flowers just because I'm a woman, I can almost guarantee I wouldn't like it. I pretty much don't do flowers; pretty much the only times I use them on a layout, it's a layout that involves flowers as the topic or as a feature in the photographs. But if they started with baseball or books or games or rabbits, and used something like bottlecaps or gears for the base cluster, THAT would be awesome.

Now, if this is a generic item, to be sold at a craft fair or something, then that's a different matter, and tons of gears or whatever would be great. But my philosophy with handmade gifts is to keep it about the recipient instead of what I would like or want, and I think if you look to what the recipient is into, there are some really quirky and creative places this could go that go beyond stuff that's kind of generic male (e.g., the ducks and plaid and lighthouses you typically see on store-bought Father's Day cards).

chiller2000
New Kid On the Block
chiller2000

For my hubby, I would use a large nut and bolt combination. If you lay the nut on it's side with the bolt in it, it would give you some height to start with and 2 anchor points to glue. Just a suggestion.

tribet2006
Veteran
tribet2006
In response to chiller2000

Thats a great idea too....I went ahead and used a small wooden picture frame i had laying around. Its crazy how i have to throw in some girly stuff on a mans project. It never fails with me. I put some butterflies on this dresser....LOL.
He better like butterflies ...LOL. Oh well....lets just say i gave him a part of me when making this dresser. I'll post pictures later if you all want to check it out.
Thank you for your comment...and i will definitely use this next time. Thank you for your time.
Patricia

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513

I'm a little late, but you could try nails or bolts...glue them head down? I'm interested to see your finished product, I'm heading to your gallery!

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to mrsrogers52513

My vote for the man's version of a butterfly? The dragonfly! There's something about the Tim Holtz stamp that definitely says man, as opposed to all the butterflies. (Altho, I've seen some works where the same butterfly stamps(see TH's or 7Gypsies) have been used in a more 'specimen collection' way that looks very masculine.

But it is kinda hard to come up with cool ideas when you don't know the person. If it were for me, I would use the clock face, some gears, these cool chipboard eyeglasses shapes that I found in the dollar bin at Michaels- a lightbulb or two-

and have a necktie somewhere in there, too!

-kory k

tribet2006
Veteran
tribet2006
In response to mrsrogers52513

Did you get a chance to check out my gallery. The altered mini drawers is the one that i did. Someone repsponded also and told me to use dragonflies...I wish i would have done that instead of the butterflies...that probably would have been more manly.
I used burlap ribbon and scrunched it up on top and the picture frame leans on the ribbon.
Thanks for your help. I did put a nut on there but i dont know if you can see it.

tribet2006
Veteran
tribet2006
In response to designguyKORY

Thank you so much. Your idea is terrific. I wish i would have done that now with the altered mini dresser. I used the butterflies but NEXT time i will keep that in mind. Thank you for the great idea.

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513

I just looked at it! It's beautiful! Great job!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics