Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Need ideas.....        (Topic#1587953)
Megan - ForumTech
The Janitor
Megan - ForumTech

A friend has gifted me with a few things.

1. a box of glass slides. I'm familiar with these from the Ranger flavor. But I'm wondering what y'all do with them, outside of what Ranger demo's.

2. A package of circular glass. These are about 3" in diameter, and concave, about 1/4". I was thinking of something with resin and charms.

But I'm sure you have more ideas than I can come up with?

Megan - ForumTech
The Janitor
Megan - ForumTech
In response to Megan - ForumTech

Psst. There might be a prize. Just sayin.

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS

A friend of mine makes jewelry out of glass slides, she glues patterned papers and word stickers to the back side with her glossy accents and then solders around the edges. She made me an awesome piece using one of the tim holtz hinge clips to hang it from

Babylou
Diva
Babylou
In response to MrsAnnieS

I was thinking jewelry pendants for both of those objects. Patterned paper is a great idea, you could also use photos. Depending on the size you can get "frames" to put them in if you don't want to solder. Also, since you are talking about glass, these would be great fun to play with alcohol inks and decorate them that way. Kind of a stain glass look.

Tracy F
Governor
Tracy F
In response to Babylou

I've seen very pretty jewelry made out of glass slides. Some had paper in them and some used alcohol inks that looked a bit like stained glass.

As for the circular glass, I'm thinking maybe some tiny pressed flowers and resin.

Have fun playing with them and let us know what you come up with!

scrappinmomto2girls
Governor
scrappinmomto2girls
In response to Tracy F

jewelry and here is an idea, altered canvas's with these dangling from it, possibly with family's pictures modpodged on it or something of the effect and used as a wall decoration

anda11
anda11 
Mayor
anda11

Since everyone mentioned jewelry..how about Christmas ornaments? How about wind chimes for a garden?

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to scrappinmomto2girls

Slides:
Small photo frames?

Put silver mirror board behind to make "mirrors" on LOs?

Use on LOs or cards as windows in place of acetate?

Stamp with Staz-On, colour with alcohol inks or Copic markers and attach by glue and chain and hang in the window?

Glue together to make boxes with photos slotted inside to make a photo cube?

And I used to use slides to mix ink colours. Put a drop of each colour ink on one slide, put another on top and then lift off. Place paper on top and you'll have a fun pattern. These days you can add Perfect Pearls, Liquid Pearls, Stickles, embossing powder - all sorts of fun effects.

Circular glass:
Shakers, Harry Potter glasses or clock faces on LOs.

Glue them together with Christmas stuff/glitter inside to make tree ornaments?

Or mix your inks or paints in them.

Or add sunshine, and you can kill ants with them. Not that I ever tried...

Megan - ForumTech
The Janitor
Megan - ForumTech
In response to Babylou

• Babylou Said:
I was thinking jewelry pendants for both of those objects. Patterned paper is a great idea, you could also use photos. Depending on the size you can get "frames" to put them in if you don't want to solder. Also, since you are talking about glass, these would be great fun to play with alcohol inks and decorate them that way. Kind of a stain glass look.

I'm currently on a huge jewelry kick, but was worried that 3" might be too big for the circular ones?

Megan - ForumTech
The Janitor
Megan - ForumTech
In response to RedSquirrel

• RedSquirrel Said:
Or add sunshine, and you can kill ants with them. Not that I ever tried...

If I do, I'll never 'fess up.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny

• Megan - ForumTech Said:
  • Babylou Said:

I'm currently on a huge jewelry kick, but was worried that 3" might be too big for the circular ones?

I'm assuming this in reference to pendants, but I wonder - are they too heavy for use as earrings? I've definitely seen some of the ladies at work wearing hoops (and other styles on dangly earrings) larger than 3 inches.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 05-09-13 03:13 PM
In response to aquabunny

The circular ones might make adorable snow globes on an LO or an altered canvas or something.

What size are the slides? I really haven't paid attention to the Ranger ones so this might already be one of their ideas, but the slides might be cute on top of photos for a special LO or art project.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 05-09-13 03:16 PM
In response to stick

OOoooh, I'll bet the round convex ones would make really cool nightlights if you use alcohol inks to color them.

Edited by stick on 05-09-13 03:29 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Megan - ForumTech
The Janitor
Megan - ForumTech
In response to stick

They're too heavy for earrings, unless you're a masochist....they're regular thick glass.

The slides are about 1x3....

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 05-09-13 06:11 PM

For the slides ... I might make an embellie by coloring one with alcohol inks and adhering a word or two. Could be a title (use several!) or just an accent word. Distress and color the cardstock the word is printed on to match, of course.

corrie fan
Diva
corrie fan
In response to stick

For the slides, leave in the box and release your inner Dexter?

OK, maybe not so helpful.

AmyWho
AmyWho 
Mayor
AmyWho
In response to corrie fan

LOL, Dexter was my first thought.

With the slides you could make some kind of mosaic coaster, drill a hole in it and make a little gift tag.

For the circular glass, you could fill with cookie crumbs and the above mentioned ants that of course weren't injured by the glass slides, fill with resin and use as a paperweight.

anda11
anda11 
Mayor
anda11

They're too heavy for earrings, unless you're a masochist....they're regular thick glass.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to anda11

Make the slides into tea-light votives by colouring with alcohol ink?

OlesyaK.
Diva
OlesyaK.

pinterest has a bunch of examples of the slides turned into pendants, including some with instructions.. not a fan myself, but maybe you'll like them better. THey would be a great size for a keychain maybe.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics