Username Post: s for a bookribbon bookmarks        (Topic#1587963)
Kel3
Kel3 
Mayor
Kel3
  • Kel3 on 05-09-13 03:05 PM

I'm trying to make bookmarker ribbons for a book. I'm using 6 strands of ribbon to save different pages in one book. I think I'm using a binder clip to tie the ribbon for the top. Once i get the ribbon cut how do I stop it from getting frayed on the bottom? I'm also not sure how the binder clip is goingt owork if I can get 6 strands tied to it. any suggestions for making bookmarks will be helpful.

SherylEb
Idol
SherylEb
In response to Kel3

There is some stuff called Fray Check that you can use on the ends of ribbon to stop fraying. It is in the fabric department of lots of stores. Little squeeze bottle. WM, Target, HL, Ms any place that sells thread, stuff like that would have it. I've used it for years in different sewing projects. Works great.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to SherylEb

Also, one time I ran out of Fray-Check in the middle of a project, and finished it up using some Tacky Glue instead, though unless you're really careful about it that'll give it a weird chunky look.

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS
In response to SherylEb

Or if you want an at home quick remedy I use a match or lighter, just hold the ribbon near the flame and the ribbon end will melt. Just don't get too close to the flame or you'll lose a lot more ribbon than you planned on. Not that I've done that or anything...

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to MrsAnnieS

• MrsAnnieS Said:
Or if you want an at home quick remedy I use a match or lighter, just hold the ribbon near the flame and the ribbon end will melt. Just don't get too close to the flame or you'll lose a lot more ribbon than you planned on. Not that I've done that or anything...

That's what I do, every time. Strike a match and hold the cut end of the ribbon UNDER not OVER the flame. The heat will be just enough to melt the cut edges without burning it. With an obvious mommy caveat to "be careful".

lakauai
Resident
lakauai
In response to RedSquirrel UK

I've done the match trick with mixed results. But, I never knew to hold the ribbon UNDER the flame. Maybe that's where I was going wrong.....Glad I read this thread!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics