Username Post: Photo storage help?        (Topic#1588011)
RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel

I started scrap-booking while I was living abroad. I had a digital camera, a printer and access to cheap ink and photo paper, so I printed out only the photos I wanted to scrap. My storage system is on my laptop in perfect working order. But I had/have no physical storage system whatsoever, other than a few in page protectors with some papers and embellishments as page kits. That's it.

Now I'm back home, and I also have a cupboard FULL of archaic pre-digital photos, most in their original packets, some in albums. Those I have not even looked at yet!

I also have a cart full of free Snapfish prints, that I will be ordering at some stage before the vouchers run out. So I have to accept that I'm going to need some method of organising them - ALL of them, the old ones as well. That fills me with dread.

I've been reading up on various storage ideas and am a little overwhelmed to be honest. Please can you give me your tips for storage and organisation methods that work for you?

gin1902
Diva
gin1902
In response to RedSquirrel

I've got a couple of these tray/open boxes. When I can get to all my mismatched boxes of pictures, I'm going to store them in matching photo boxes, but I'm pulling out all of the horses, dogs, cats, etc. ones to put in these. I want them out and looked at and enjoyed. I don't care about fingerprints or if they get put back in order. Don't know if this helps or not, but if you've got all of one type of picture (critters, in my case), this looks like a fun option.

bonprof
Diva
bonprof

The first thing I do to motivate myself to stay orgnized is go to Joann's or Michaels and stock up on the lovely photo boxes. They are so pretty that even if you leave them out, they're wonderful to look at. Then I store by topic: "Grandson: years 1-5, "Lucy (cat)" and so on. I hope this helps.

MissaOnTheRun
Mayor
MissaOnTheRun
In response to bonprof

I print my favorite photos, usually about 100 every two months or so, then put them in albums in order. This was I have them and I can look at them with family and friends, but I never feel pressured to get things scrapped and I always have lots of photos to choose from when I have time to scrap

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to bonprof

Go to HL or M or J's when they have their storage 1/2 off and get a ton of the photo boxes that look like shoe boxes and try to sort them the best you can in them. I've been slowly doing this with mine as I catch the boxes on sale. I have about 10 of them full of pictures.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to bonprof

That does help, thank you. Do you write the dates on the backs of them? I was wondering how to keep them together.

On my computer, my searches are set up by date, because I wanted to make sure I had at least one page for each month of the year. But now that I'm scrapping properly, that seems a bit redundant. By subject sounds much more sensible.

gin1902
Diva
gin1902

Full disclosure here, I've never scrapped a single photo. For filing, I go chronologically and for "display" (however folks do it-scrapbooking, photo books, brag book, trays, whatever) I go by theme or event or, in my case, species.

Yes, I write the date on the back and if I've got 1 picture out of a bunch with everybody in it, I write everybody's names, the place and the date. That way at least 1 picture has all the info and if somebody else down the line separates the pictures, I figure it's their responsibility to transfer that info to whatever picture they're separating out.

Edited by gin1 on 05-11-13 12:50 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

crichards1
Veteran
crichards1

• RedSquirrel Said:
Do you write the dates on the backs of them? I was wondering how to keep them together.

I just sorted through some old photos and put them in a photo box. I didn't have the dates on the backs of many of the pictures. I was so sorry I hadn't taken the time to do that, because I couldn't tell what year many of them would have been taken in. I vowed I would always put dates on the backs of photos in the future.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to crichards1

There's also the idea of using a photo album to store your pictures....just buy the divided page protectors that have the 4x6 slots....
Stacy Julian has videos on how she stores her photos this way that are waiting to be scrapped...

You could even stick notes into the pockets with the photos with dates or stories you want to remember....that way nothing will get lost...

Vintageivy
Veteran
Vintageivy

I love using the organizing systems from creative memories. They are amazing quality and you can store a lot of pictures-I believe there are a couple of sizes and you can add dividers as needed. The one I have is a power sort box.

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5
In response to Vintageivy

I use the covered photo boxes. I currently have about 25 filled and that's with very few printed digis. Digis I usually print as I need/want them, or if snapfish has a good deal going, I print some that I especially like to just leave out on a table in a small display album. I rotate those pictures from time-to-time so people see new photos when they're visiting.

The boxes are by year because I scrap chronologically. My hubby was so nice a few years ago. He went through many of the pictures and put them by years since I've always marked dates on mine. Then when I have a little spare time (I know...what's that?!) I sort through a year and put them in date order. Old pictures that aren't marked, I start comparing hair lengths, etc. to hopefully get them somewhere in the right year. Luckily my grandma was very good at marking years on pictures, so even some from the late 1800s have a year date and names on the back. Thanks, Grandma!

When I sort through pictures, if there are some that I know go with a theme that I'm working on, I put those pictures in date order in different boxes, so I have a box for Halloween, one for Disneyland, etc.

Before scrapping, I would date the back, plus put names and ages of each person in the picture PLUS I'd get the narrow correction tape and put all the info on it in little printing and put that on the front of the picture. Yes, I spent many hours while kids were napping, etc. doing that, but it was nice to see the info. when going through albums.

It's my digis that I need to clean out sometime. I'm so paranoid about back-ups that I end out with copies of copies of copies. I need to plug all 15 or so hard drives in and start doing searches to get them all in order...which is what I have started doing numerous times, then something comes along so I can't work on it for a while...and as a result, I have lots of copies of everything :>)

Sorry to write a book. I think one or two weeks of the Org. Class is about photo organization, isn't it? I wonder if we'll get any good ideas?

Have fun! I kind of like going through the pictures...it's fun to see them, but it's easy to get sidetracked also ~Judy

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit
In response to kiyawinn

• kiyawinn Said:
There's also the idea of using a photo album to store your pictures....just buy the divided page protectors that have the 4x6 slots....
Stacy Julian has videos on how she stores her photos this way that are waiting to be scrapped...

You could even stick notes into the pockets with the photos with dates or stories you want to remember....that way nothing will get lost...

That's exactly what I've started doing - and I really like it! I like it better than other methods because I can easily flip through to look at all of my pics. I tend not to scrap in order. Plus, I'm so far behind with my scrapping that they are all in a nice place for other people to look through too before I get them scrapped.

You should check out the challenge/thread in the NSD section - one was to describe how you sort/organize photos.

t-scraps
Expert
t-scraps
In response to scraprabbit

Photo album? That way your photos are still protected from oily fingerprints.

OlesyaK.
Diva
OlesyaK.
In response to scraprabbit

• scraprabbit Said:
  • kiyawinn Said:

That's exactly what I've started doing - and I really like it! I like it better than other methods because I can easily flip through to look at all of my pics. I tend not to scrap in order. Plus, I'm so far behind with my scrapping that they are all in a nice place for other people to look through too before I get them scrapped.

i do the same - I bought a couple 5*7 books where the photo pockets are larger , and sort out by possible layout - two pics, three pics, then stick a post it to show size and position to each page - that way it's easy to see the pic/color and the position and the number of pics when you flip through the album. that's just for photos for scrapping though, not otherwise regular photo storage.

New Kid On the Block
In response to OlesyaK.

I love photo storage boxes. I am super picky about keeping them in chronological order, and I just can't do that with a photo album. When my mom sends me a packet of pics, then I can just file them in the appropriate boxes. Plus, all those old photos from before I started scrapbooking, that I've never really dealt with, can be placed accordingly.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics