Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: layout or pictures first?        (Topic#1588031)
ahp1986
New Kid On the Block
ahp1986

My fiance and I went shopping today at a LSS. Usually when we create a layout with get our pictures first, and then make everything else. Well today he gets the idea to do a layout first, then get the pictures in the size we want. What do you do first? I'm nervous about doing the layout first because I like seeing the pictures and being able to move them around. Any advice?

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to ahp1986

Always start with my pictures first!

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to Sneezy1956

I prefer to start with the pictures, first, but I know many people who create the layout first and then add pictures.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to Luvmyfam

I figure out the pictures I want to use, but I plan the LO, then size the pictures, which is why I usually print them at home. Then I can print sizes and colors the way I want them for the LO without waiting. Even pre-digi prints I usually end out re-printing so I can get better quality, plus size and color.

Often I do the planning on the computer where it's easier to move things around, then move to my scrap table once I get a design in mind. It often changes a lot from the computer design, but it's a good starting point for me. ~Judy

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to mrsdriver5

Pictures first for me too.

I did a class once where we created 10 or so pages without photos or embellishments. I thought it would be easy to add photos later, but 5 years on and most of them are still in the same bag. I get them out every now and then, but I struggle to imagine photos and titles on them. I must get them populated so that they stop annoying me, but that was a good learning curve for me.

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to RedSquirrel

I have tried doing layouts first and it didn't work as well for me either. I still have two spots on a two page spread that are blank because I couldn't find the right pictures to insert. It just works better for me to have the pictures first. Then I can create a page that will compliment them perfectly.

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit
In response to RedSquirrel

• RedSquirrel Said:
Pictures first for me too.

I did a class once where we created 10 or so pages without photos or embellishments. I thought it would be easy to add photos later, but 5 years on and most of them are still in the same bag. I get them out every now and then, but I struggle to imagine photos and titles on them. I must get them populated so that they stop annoying me, but that was a good learning curve for me.

This is exactly what I was going to say - I did some at a class and never used them. So I always start with pictures. I'm ok with planning the lo and possibly resizing them though to fit where I want them.

prittb
prittb 
Diva
prittb
In response to scraprabbit

Pictures first for me too. I have tried LOs first too and also had a hard time getting the pics to fit.

cescrapper
Expert
cescrapper
In response to prittb

i start with the photos first ...except on that rare occasnion when i want to try a new technique and i put it aside for later.

Mia1979
Diva
Mia1979
In response to cescrapper

I print my pics @ home so I tend to pull them out first before I start my layouts.

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS
In response to Mia1979

I might find the paper line or sketch I want to work with first but even then I generally have photos in mind before I get going.

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to MrsAnnieS

For me, it's sort of like which comes first?...the chicken or the egg?

I actually scrap both ways. Sometimes it's the layout (or rather paper & supplies) first...and other times it's the photo that determines the project.

That's sort of the really great thing about the monthly challenges here. Sometimes I can pick the photos to match the layout...where other times, I can start the layout based on the theme, supplies & or suggested scrapbooking sketch.

As far as physical, store-bought, premade layout, I know some people don't like them (for whatever reason), but when you scrap as many layouts as I have going on, they are at times refreshing, fun & just a different way to scrap!

And on that note, there is no wrong way or right way to scrap!

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to KellyCali

Just as a tip, I think taking your photos along to the store or on your camera or phone, might prove to be helpful. That way you can be sure to pick & choose the papers that you feel seem to match, coordinate or determine the look & feel that you are going for/trying to create!

Best of luck!

WVScrapThis
New Kid On the Block
WVScrapThis
In response to KellyCali

Picture first for me also. I seem to get my inspiration from the pictures. Though, I have to admit I can't remember the last time I did a layout and then found the pictures for it. I might have to give it a try one day just to see how it "feels".

scrapmomof4
Pro
scrapmomof4
In response to WVScrapThis

Pictures first.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to scrapmomof4

I always have what pictures I want to use in mind when I plan my LO....I know what the theme is and how many pics I'm going to use...
I can plan the LO without printing the pics though, like Judy (MrsDriver)
That way, I can print 4x6 or a bunch of 2x2 or collage...depending on the design of my page...

Sometimes, I pick my pictures to match a story or embellishment I want to use, or new technique I want to try.....
Sometimes, I choose pictures first and then design around the pictures....
I can't imagine doing a whole layout without KNOWING what pictures you are going to use though.....

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 05-13-13 06:30 PM
In response to kiyawinn

I usually print all my pics that I know I want to scrap in 4x6. Sometimes I print several that are really close because I need to see them in person on paper before I know which one I like best. I usually use the 4x6 prints but sometimes I decide I need to change the size, and then I'll get reprints done. So, to answer your question, Yes

scrappercaz
Governor
scrappercaz
In response to Vae

Hang on...*we* ??? My husband was always more than happy for me to scrap but if I'd suggested he might want to do it with me he'd have looked at me oddly

Lucky you - how nice to share your hobby

justartguy007
Pro
justartguy007
In response to scrappercaz

I always use my pictures first. I have idea of what paper, stickers even washi tape. I want to use for the layout. The photos help me figure out what would go well with it and tell the story. I always want the pictures to tell the story not just the products I use. But always well lay everything out on the paper pictures included to see where I want everything. Then I start putting it together.

thehappyscrapper8
Veteran
thehappyscrapper8
In response to justartguy007

I always start with my pictures first. Sometimes I choose to coordinate the papers with the photos and other times I just let the photos do all the talking. I have never tried to create a layout and then add the pictures to it. What if the paper doesn't match or the embellishments LOL

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics