Username Post: Best SLR Camera for Beginners        (Topic#1588053)
Mama2Thomas
Pro
Mama2Thomas

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for an SLR camera that's user friendly for a beginner. Possibly one that has an automatic feature so if I feel overwhelmed with settings, I can always revert back to just "pointing and shooting". Is there even a camera out there with both SLR and point and shoot features?

I've always used a point and shoot and generally been OK with how my pictures turn out. But as I navigate through the internet, I see so many cool effects on pictures (i.e. crisp picture of subject with background out of focus, action shots, etc) I now want to learn to use an SLR camera.

Any particular brand/ models/ etc that you can recommend? TIA.

Veteran
In response to Mama2Thomas

Just about every consumer slr has point and shoot features. If you wanted to save money, you can buy an older model on ebay to learn on to see if you wanted to make a bigger investment later on.

I paid nearly $800 for my first dslr, the canon XT, but it can be had on ebay for less than $200 now.

Newer dslr's do offer video, bigger and better screens, and a few more options though, but they also cost a fair bit more.

pupulv 
New Kid On the Block
In response to GeraldFagan

I suggest Nikon D5300. My first camera!

If you're planning to do photography, you may also need some photo editing software, I use photo editing software for mac PhotoStudio an my mentor and now I edit photos with PhotoShop.

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan
In response to pupulv

Do you have a local shop that is only photography/videography focused? Usually the people working there have more information than most people at best buy or a box store.
I would go in there and try out the coke and pepsi models aka Cannon and Nikon.I say that because those companies most extensive line of lens that can usually work on a variety of their camera bodies.
Also I would hold them. It can be the feel of the camera, how intuitive it is for you and what options really appeal to you.

You can go crazy with an SLR. I have a Nikon D200 which in 2007 was just below their pro grade. However lugging that thing around with the heavier lens for everyday shots of kids and family, is not fun. Imagine getting on and off rides at an amusement park. I am looking for something smaller more compact. Just something to think about.

Hope that helps.

mindygail
Expert
mindygail
In response to jaxxan

I have a photographer friend and she reccomends canon I would love to get an slr but they get expensive!!!

New Kid On the Block
In response to mindygail

Any specific model of Cannon that anyone would like to suggest for a begginner.

Lora
Lora 
Tenant
Lora
  • Lora on 08-12-13 01:35 AM
In response to jeffrey_silva

I have a Canon T3. You can get them relatively inexpensively now. I LOVE it!

aubrieannie
Veteran
aubrieannie
In response to Lora

The Nikon d40 is what I started with. It is a few years old and has really dropped in price. I would suggest getting a less expensive body and saving money for lenses. The d40 is a GREAT camera.

Veteran
In response to aubrieannie

I have a Canon that I've had for several years. I love it. It's a Rebel XTi. I've used it quite a bit and still am pleased with it.

New Kid On the Block
In response to Mimiof123

I've used Canon cameras going back to the D30 - which cost me $2800 just for the body. :-(

I currently use the t2i and t4i. Canon's lens options are good too - the fixed 50mm is sharp, the 28-135mm lens with image stabilization is an excellent range. I use a 10-22mm for wide angle shots - most DSLR cameras "magnify" what your lens sees by about 1.5, so a 50mm lens behaves like a 75-80mm lens on a film camera. Great for zooming in, but it makes wide angles tough.

The difference between a t2i and a t4i is really not consequential. The t4i allows you to flip and tilt the viewfinder on back, and it provides autofocusing when shooting video. The t2i does neither.

I've worked with Nikons as well. Better quality cameras than Canon, superior focusing and exposure readings than what you get with the Canon cameras. The downside is they're heavier, and they cost more (especially when you add lenses). If I were shooting wildlife, sports or other "motion" subjects, I'd like the Nikon's superior focus and exposure capabilities. For family photos, landscapes, etc. they're not as important.

Canon and Nikon are both great choices. Just depends on how much you want to spend and what you'll be shooting.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics