Username Post: SLR Camera for Beginners (X-Posted)        (Topic#1588055)
Mama2Thomas
Pro
Mama2Thomas

Hi Everyone,

I've also posted this in Photography - so apologize for duplicate, but I figure there is more traffic here...

I'm looking for an SLR camera that's user friendly for a beginner. Possibly one that has an automatic feature so if I feel overwhelmed with settings, I can always revert back to just "pointing and shooting". Is there even a camera out there with both SLR and point and shoot features?

I've always used a point and shoot and generally been OK with how my pictures turn out. But as I navigate through the internet, I see so many cool effects on pictures (i.e. crisp picture of subject with background out of focus, action shots, etc) I now want to learn to use an SLR camera.

Any particular brand/ models/ etc that you can recommend? TIA.

Expert
In response to Mama2Thomas

I personally have a Canon Rebel and think it is pretty user friendly to use. It does have an automatic freature where it is pretty much like a point and shoot.
I think it is just a personal preference if you like Canon or Nikon though.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to scrappy_day

I have a Canon Rebel T3i....it is really easy to use. It does have an automatic setting and you just turn the dial for landscape, portrait, closeup etc...similar to a point and shoot camera.
I think a lot of DSLR cameras have that, though...
I'm slowly learning photography and there are a lot of classes available online....

IzzyB
IzzyB 
Mayor
IzzyB
  • IzzyB on 05-14-13 06:59 AM
In response to kiyawinn

Any of the entry level Cannon or Nikon cameras would be perfect. They have auto settings. The Nikon D3000 (and later models D3100 and D3200) in particular have a simple user guide built right in.

Rileysmom06
Mayor
Rileysmom06
In response to IzzyB

I have a Nikon, it has both. I love it.

rockmom
Governor
rockmom
In response to Rileysmom06

Nikon D5100 user here. Takes great photos and has manual, semi auto, and fully auto settings as well as a bunch of scene and effects settings and takes movies as well. There are many lenses that work or just use the kit lens which is an 18mm to 55mm. I love my camera!

Crafting Marfa
Veteran
Crafting Marfa
In response to rockmom

Have you ever used an SLR or a DSLR before? My advise is that if you haven't, you should see if a friend has one and try it out. So many people buy expensive DSLR's and then just stick to Auto, A or S. Its like buying an expensive race car to drive to the grocery store. DSLRs are awesome, if you learn how to use them to the fullest potential. Otherwise, a good point and shoot will do the job and cost less.

prittb
prittb 
Diva
prittb
In response to Crafting Marfa

I have a Nikon D3100 with 2 lens and love it. I mostly use it for landscape pics and pics of flowers. I have a Nikon point and shoot that I keep in my purse for those unexpected moments.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to Crafting Marfa

• Crafting Marfa Said:
Have you ever used an SLR or a DSLR before? My advise is that if you haven't, you should see if a friend has one and try it out. So many people buy expensive DSLR's and then just stick to Auto, A or S. Its like buying an expensive race car to drive to the grocery store. DSLRs are awesome, if you learn how to use them to the fullest potential. Otherwise, a good point and shoot will do the job and cost less.

Well, sort of......
Even on auto, a good DSLR takes much better pictures, IMO....especially CU and action shots...

momma paparazzi
Diva
momma paparazzi
In response to kiyawinn

Hope,

Do you have a camera store near you?? If so, go and play with them both and see which you like.

I have a Nikon. I started out with the D50 7 yrs ago, and recently upgraded to a D3000. It has full auto so you can use it as a point and shoot, as well as the semi auto capabilities.

If you end up choosing a Nikon, let me know. I will help you out and answer any questions if you like.

suznut
suznut 
Veteran
suznut
In response to momma paparazzi

I have a Nikon D7000 and LOVE IT! I'll admit at times I use my auto setting, because its the only way I can capture a rambunctious 3 year old and even on Auto my pictures come out amazing. IMO I think the auto still gives you a better image then just a normal point and shoot. Totally worth the investment!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics