Username Post: Scrapbooks vs Journals        (Topic#1588057)
New Kid On the Block

Hi, I am new here and just wanting some advice and opinions if possible. I like to keep a journal where I write my private thoughts and feelings and get things off my chest when I need to. I had accumulated about ten years worth of hard backed journals, full of things I didn't want anyone to see, full of negativity and angst. I recently had them all scanned and destroyed the originals so I have them on a hard drive if I want to read them again but they are not taking up space and are not in my face so to speak. My idea now is to still keep a journal but anything too personal I will keep either on the computer or in a separate notebook and then destroy it later. I have started this journal in a reporters style notepad which is easier to carry around, takes up less space etc.

Also at the start of the year a friend of mine suggested we keep a visual diary which gives details of things we do and projects to keep each other inspired. I started to do this and then it trailed off a bit. However, recently I have got back into it and I enjoy the idea of keeping a scrapbook and pasting in photos and stickers aswell as logging things I am doing that seem relevant to record. The scrapbook is in a large exercise book. However, I still like to journal my feelings but don't feel the scrapbook is the place to do this, yet I don't want a lot of different books around. What do others do? Would you merge the journal into the scrapbook and keep it all together or do it separately? The ranting type of journal however will be done separately. Although I use the computer for a lot of things I do prefer to journal by hand.

Sorry to go on a bit but would be grateful for any ideas.

WVScrapThis
New Kid On the Block
WVScrapThis
In response to Jill1961

I'd do whatever choice would allow you the "freedom" to say what you needed to say without worrying about others reading it. You could always scan the journal book once you fill it up, like you did with the others, and only keep the actual current journal book.

bonprof
Idol
bonprof
In response to Jill1961

Journaling is really what makes scrapbooking scrapbooking. A lot of people don't like journaling, but I love it. You have a lot of things to say, some private, some public. Creating a scrapbook of your world is not only fun, but it is very healing. Try reading the book, "The Scrapbooking Journey: A Hands On Guide to Spiritual Discovery" by Cory Richardson-Lauve.I love this book and because you enjoy writing, I think you will too. I think the book will shed light on what you may want to do.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 05-13-13 08:34 PM
In response to bonprof

This is an interesting question. A lot of us use scrapping as a form of therapy and don't just scrap about the fun times, we scrap the hard times too.

Some suggestions would be to do hidden journaling with pockets or on the back side of some of the pages/photos. You could also do some kind of removable journaling that you could easily scan in later (a piece of paper that is tucked behind the page inside the page protector, for example).

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics