Username Post: What do you guys use with your Prima stencils?        (Topic#1588081)
anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11

I had some on my wishlist. I have seen the tut for gesso. I have seen lots of pages using them. What do they use? Can I use ink pads I have? I am guessing people may use those spray things too.
Now they have some new ones that are beautiful & I did get a card for mom's day. I have started my old heritage pics now this month so I see they would be great for heritage too.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 05-14-13 02:05 PM
In response to anda11

Linda, I've used them with the modeling paste to create amazing texture. I use them with the sprays a lot, I've inked them using a blending tool or my ink pad directly on the stencil. I've also used them for embossing and just recently I used them with acrylic paints. So pretty much anything you can think of

chocolateaxel
Mayor
chocolateaxel
In response to Vae

All of the above, as well as pan pastels. There is a picture in my gallery I made using a beautiful wing stencil. I used modeling paste and pan pastels.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to chocolateaxel

Thanks guys. I used to use stencils on my pages but only with paint. Not incredible stencils. I have seen everything you are talking about.
I decided to start with 2 that I thought would be very versatile. I need some for mens heritage pages first. I chose bricks & woodgrain. I can also use them for women heritage too. I can also use them on my dd & son & us too. My dd is a horse women..both wood work. I have pics of Dh & I at an anniversary where we are standing in front of an antique brick wall. hmmmm my brain is racing now.
I just placed an order & I added 2 of them. I also had the 10 win so it is like one was free.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to anda11

I have been watching some modeling/molding paste tuts on you tube. WOW.. It looks like so much fun. It was great to see the different people add color with different ways. I am so glad I ordered the brick. I am going to try that first. How quick & easy to use the spatula instead of the brush.
That will be my next purchase. Thanks guys...I will still look at the other things too so I can do them as well.

I think I told you I wanted to be an artist cause I took art as a child & all through high school. I realized that I was not an artist just artistic.
This looks like so much fun. LOL

Edited by anda11 on 05-14-13 05:08 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

terrihooper
Mayor
terrihooper
In response to anda11

I have used a spatula with the paste but an old gift card works better in my opinion.

Don't forget about chalking for a very soft effect with your stencils and masks.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 05-14-13 05:33 PM
In response to terrihooper

Ditto the gift card or hotel key card. I've also used my cricut spatula and that worked well too but the gift card is better.

SherylEb
Idol
SherylEb
In response to Vae

I've seen some of the pros use torn off pieces of cereal box. Then can toss after each use. anything that can be stiff and straight.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to terrihooper

• terrihooper Said:
I have used a spatula with the paste but an old gift card works better in my opinion.

Don't forget about chalking for a very soft effect with your stencils and masks.

OH well..Thanks..the gift card sounds perfect. I have chalks too.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to Vae

• Vae Said:
Ditto the gift card or hotel key card. I've also used my cricut spatula and that worked well too but the gift card is better.

I have that kind too

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to SherylEb

• SherylEb Said:
I've seen some of the pros use torn off pieces of cereal box. Then can toss after each use. anything that can be stiff and straight.

This is a fab idea too

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to anda11

Hi Linda!!

You can also use gesso (comes in black or white, but you can color the white) and just this past weekend I came upon the coolest stuff called Special Effect Paste! I used it with a stencil in my art journal and LOVE the results!!

Also try using your stencils with 3D stamp paint if you like the shimmery sparkly look. Its very pretty and comes in all sorts of colors.

Let me check the store here and see if they have the products Im talking about.......hang on.....

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to Kim222

No......the superstore doesn't carry them

Look them up, though!! They are both made by Viva and both are so much fun to use.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to anda11

I use gesso, chalk inks, paint, ink pads, and sprays (but I tend to paint my sprays on, rather than actually spray them just because I like the look better...)....
Products Referenced in This Post:

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 05-15-13 09:04 AM
In response to kiyawinn

OMG I LOVE the special effect paste! I have the graphite and the gold... I think I need green and I just realized that they have other colors too. I got my graphite and gold at HL.

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to Vae

I have the graphite, too!! And a greenish goldish color. Soo pretty!! My lss only has 3 or 4 colors and thats where I discovered them last week. I didnt know there were other colors to be had!!

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to Kim222

• Kim222 Said:
Hi Linda!!

You can also use gesso (comes in black or white, but you can color the white) and just this past weekend I came upon the coolest stuff called Special Effect Paste! I used it with a stencil in my art journal and LOVE the results!!

Also try using your stencils with 3D stamp paint if you like the shimmery sparkly look. Its very pretty and comes in all sorts of colors.

Let me check the store here and see if they have the products Im talking about.......hang on.....

Thanks for telling me Kim. I just checked out the special effects paste & the 3 d stamp paint. I want them

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to kiyawinn

• kiyawinn Said:
I use gesso, chalk inks, paint, ink pads, and sprays (but I tend to paint my sprays on, rather than actually spray them just because I like the look better...)....

Thanks Alison, I just put the blending tool on my wishlist. I didn't know they had gesso here.
Thanks for all of your suggestions too.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to anda11

viva Decor has several paints that are great for stencils too they have texture in them so they hold the sape and give you a little bit of puff. The also have so glitter paste stuff that does amazing things.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to Sneezy1956

Thanks Jane... I appreciate it. :))

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to Vae

• Vae Said:
Linda, I've used them with the modeling paste to create amazing texture. I use them with the sprays a lot, I've inked them using a blending tool or my ink pad directly on the stencil. I've also used them for embossing and just recently I used them with acrylic paints. So pretty much anything you can think of

Now I've got to research embossing with stencils!

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to MommaSaid

• MommaSaid Said:
  • Vae Said:

Hey Anne, I have seen people do that.. There is an animal pattern one that you could use on your upcoming zoo trip

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to anda11

• anda11 Said:
  • MommaSaid Said:
  • Vae Said:

Hey Anne, I have seen people do that.. There is an animal pattern one that you could use on your upcoming zoo trip

And for some odd reason, I shied away from the zebra stencil during the Prima stencil sale. I did, however, pick up the wood print that might work. Thanks for the thought!

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to MommaSaid

I just got the wood one & the brick one this week.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics