Username Post: young man's room decorationg ideas        (Topic#1588141)
TraciK
TraciK 
Governor
TraciK

I don't know I titled that subject line right....

My son is 20, lives at college but still has his room at home. He is a huge computer nerd. I want to decorate his room with some computer sayings. Like Byte me! CTRl AlT DEL, etc. I was thinking of printing these out and putting in pictures frames with maybe some card stock around it. Does anyone have any ideas of a better way to do this or a place to print this kind of thing out? Or any other ideas? Thanks!!

Karen B
Diva
Karen B
In response to TraciK

I know a computer nerd who mounted broken motherboards on the wall. A couple of those could be mixed in. Maybe a collage of printed sayings and spare parts? At different depths, sort of like this frame? http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/03/85/55/36/00 0385553...

Fargomutt
Expert
Fargomutt
In response to Karen B

do you watch "two and a half men"? I love the pillows on the sofa - there are 3. One says "CONTROL", one says "ALT" and the other says "DELETE"

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to Fargomutt

Could you maybe ask him about some of your ideas, especially ideas for sayings, before committing to using them? As a nerd myself, I get uncomfortable and embarrassed on other people's behalf when non-nerds try to come up with clever or funny nerd- or geek-themed ideas.

For example, Ctrl-Alt-Delete isn't used in some non-Windows operating systems, like Mac and Linux. Computer nerds (especially those actually studying or working in computer science/computer engineering) are often steeped in Linux/Unix systems, and if that's the case with him, the Ctrl-Alt-Delete thing isn't nearly as funny or clever.

I do like the idea of making collage out of motherboards and other system components!

You might also want to look around thinkgeek.com, a website that sells merchandise in all sorts of flavors of nerd - even if nothing there strikes you to buy, you might get some more ideas for phrases from the "IT Department" category (or maybe other categories, too) of the t-shirts and apparel section.

But it's hard to know what else to suggest without knowing what kind of "computer nerd" he is. A coder? A tinkerer of hardware? Do you just mean he spends a lot of time using computers? Is he studying something like computer science or computer engineering, or is it just that he plays a lot of PC games? There are all sorts of directions to go with this, but I'd need to know more about what brand of nerd we're discussing.

TraciK
TraciK 
Governor
TraciK
In response to Karen B

• Karen B Said:
I know a computer nerd who mounted broken motherboards on the wall. A couple of those could be mixed in. Maybe a collage of printed sayings and spare parts? At different depths, sort of like this frame? http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/03/85/55/36/00 0385553...

That's a good idea! Thanks

TraciK
TraciK 
Governor
TraciK
In response to Fargomutt

• Fargomutt Said:
do you watch "two and a half men"? I love the pillows on the sofa - there are 3. One says "CONTROL", one says "ALT" and the other says "DELETE"

I do watch that show. That is where I came up with the picture frame idea using those words.

TraciK
TraciK 
Governor
TraciK
In response to aquabunny

• aquabunny Said:
Could you maybe ask him about some of your ideas, especially ideas for sayings, before committing to using them? As a nerd myself, I get uncomfortable and embarrassed on other people's behalf when non-nerds try to come up with clever or funny nerd- or geek-themed ideas.

For example, Ctrl-Alt-Delete isn't used in some non-Windows operating systems, like Mac and Linux. Computer nerds (especially those actually studying or working in computer science/computer engineering) are often steeped in Linux/Unix systems, and if that's the case with him, the Ctrl-Alt-Delete thing isn't nearly as funny or clever.

I do like the idea of making collage out of motherboards and other system components!

You might also want to look around thinkgeek.com, a website that sells merchandise in all sorts of flavors of nerd - even if nothing there strikes you to buy, you might get some more ideas for phrases from the "IT Department" category (or maybe other categories, too) of the t-shirts and apparel section.

But it's hard to know what else to suggest without knowing what kind of "computer nerd" he is. A coder? A tinkerer of hardware? Do you just mean he spends a lot of time using computers? Is he studying something like computer science or computer engineering, or is it just that he plays a lot of PC games? There are all sorts of directions to go with this, but I'd need to know more about what brand of nerd we're discussing.

He does use Linex. He is in college getting his computer science degree. Just finished his sophomore year!! He does a lot of codes. He also plays a lot of pc games. Not real sure which ones though.

I just ordered him 4 shirts from thinkgeek. They had buy one get one half off. He picked them out. Because I really don't get most of them. lol

I don't want to spend a lot of money. He rarely comes home. Our friends use his room more than he does.

Thanks for the help!

ScrappyMama6
Mayor
ScrappyMama6
In response to TraciK

I'd suggest looking at a Pottery Barn catalog or on their website, they have the coolest decor in those rooms, maybe something would strike you. I am thinking lots of metal accents, wire baskets, steam-punky type of things.

t-scraps
Expert
t-scraps
In response to ScrappyMama6

Check Pottery Barn Teen website or even Pinterest.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics