Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Scrapbook allowance!!        (Topic#1588147)
bonprof
Diva
bonprof

This topic ties in with "paper obsession". This month I've spent almost $300 on scrapbook supplies and I can't really afford to do that anymore. I'm putting myself on an "allowance". Does anyone else do this?

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS
In response to bonprof

I sure do-I actually went out and got a second job and whatever I make there is my scrapbooking 'fun money'. Ironically enough I got the job at Archivers which helps stretch the allowance even further!

MrsSugarBear
Guru
MrsSugarBear
In response to MrsAnnieS

Yes ma'am! I try and keep it under $60 a month. That's the amount Hubby has for his fun money too so what works for him, works for me. I ain't complaining!

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to MrsSugarBear

No, I put myself through enough mental torture deciding if I really "need" (will use a lot) something in the first place, even if it's just a dollar or two - I have a pretty strong sense of regret (NOT guilt, never guilt, just regret) when I buy something I don't really have use for.

I love the idea of budgets but this really isn't a category where I personally need to worry about reining in my spending. There are Sizzix dies I've wanted for years and I just leave them on wishlists for my family members to pick up, and that works out well enough - sometimes I lose interest in the dies I don't own after a while anyway, so they come off the wishlist and help keep the wishlist limited to just stuff I really want.

Edited by aquabunny on 05-18-13 09:05 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to aquabunny

I'm like aquabunny. I only really buy things when I run of things or it's a birthday or Christmas.

Last week I went to Hobbycraft for the first time since last Christmas, to spend a £30 gift card I was given for my birthday. I have to go back tomorrow and exchange a faulty die.

Now if I go out scrappy shopping with DH, HE puts things in my basket, even if I just pick them up to look at. I have to put them back on the shelf again giving him THAT look.

cescrapper
Expert
cescrapper
In response to RedSquirrel

if i'm lucky i can spend about $50 a month. There's always something that i want. So i try to spread it out.

of course since I'm in a note card group i am always looking for something new to do with my cards.

bonprof
Diva
bonprof
In response to cescrapper

Ok,well everyone is inspiring me!! I will now give myself a rational budget and stick to it!! Thank you.

bonprof
Diva
bonprof
In response to bonprof

PS: just so you don't think I'm a maniac, I've been worried about Creative Memories going out of business, so I stocked up on pages and page protectors. I love, love, love their albums and pages. That's what drove my total up this month, but I will do better in June.

crichards1
Veteran
crichards1
In response to bonprof

• bonprof Said:
PS: just so you don't think I'm a maniac, I've been worried about Creative Memories going out of business, so I stocked up on pages and page protectors.

I hadn't heard this. Is this likely to happen? I hope not. There's several things in Creative Memories that I'd really like to have. Their albums are so nice, too.

bonprof
Diva
bonprof
In response to crichards1

Creative Memories filed bankruptcy a month ago. So far, they are just planning on greatly reducing their product line, but...my consultant strongly suggested to me to stock up on pages, and page protecters. Scary!!

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to bonprof

When I first started off, I would literally go crazy (on shopping binges) and buy whatever I wanted...Which by the way, never ever seemed to be enough...simply because everytime I would go back I'd forever & always find awesome finds!

Then, I wised up a bit & started budgeting. At first, I would spend anywhere from $50-$100+ dollars. Which would actually add up to $100-$200, since I was going each payday, which was twice a month.

Realizing the cost AND that I was very quickly running out of space (aka having bags that I wasn't even unloading...(err, cough, cough) hoarding!)...budgeting for me, meant staying out of the store & or ordering only if I absolutely have to/had to.

Fast forward, present day, future (7-10 yrs later)...I have since uber-organized my space, purged what I don't use or need & only shop for adhesive refills, super sales & or during special occasions (as in Christmas/birthday).

Trust me, I know it's fun, addictive & can be a total high, but I also know it can quickly become a low or downer, if & or when your space becomes crowded, overflowing & or in turn, also a total mojo killer.

These days I'm happy to have the stash that I have, but if I had it to do all over again, I totally would have shopped in moderation!

Yes, yes. I know, I know...total joy-kill!

Reminder - If your gonna throw stuff...remember to please throw scrapbooking supplies!

SJB1120
Expert
SJB1120
In response to KellyCali

I'm on a really tight budget to begin with (student) but my rule is that if I am placing an order on here it has to give me a good deal, like the $50 for free shipping. And I will only order stuff from here once a month. That way I'm limiting the intake and also the stress on my wallet. And when it has to be $50 I get as close to that as I can without going over ridiculously. The last time I bought stuff here I spent $50.43 and got over 30 items.

Sometimes it's hard to think about budgeting something you love, but I know people who have never budgeted and are now struggling to make ends meet. Since it's only me and my mom and my mom lost her job, I try to make sure I'm spending my money on my fun stuff, and I want to make sure when I need something like a new battery in my car, I have some money saved to help her.

But I love to see what people buy!!

-Stephanie

Lamoo12
Governor
Lamoo12
In response to SJB1120

yes. for about 5 years now DH each have our own 'fun money' accounts. we each get $5 a week. That is what i use for all my scrappy supplies AND printing pictures.

x-mas and b-day are fun because i ask for supplies or gift cards.

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Mayor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 05-19-13 06:53 AM
In response to Lamoo12

After binging on Friday - partly due to a mistake in reading a coupon - my friend and I decided yesterday we were going to try a no-buy challenge.

We quickly found ourselves making exceptions. She had ordered some paper from LSS, I need some page protectors for a gift album I am making. Started to make me doubt we can make this work. But this morning I purged my wish list to things I can wait for.

Kelly makes a good point about the downside of the 'high' we get from the acquisition phase of shopping. I need to reorganize (it's been a year since the last reorg), purge and use what I have.

bonprof
Diva
bonprof
In response to GMFTS

I love reading everyone's thoughts. Yes, it is a total "high" when I order my stuff on line and when I shop in person. I'm a very addictive person to begin with (that's another story for another day...). I really apprecicate all you've shared, and yes, I need to get a grip on my addiction. Thanks again Scrapbooking Sisters!

Shutterbugg
Idol
Shutterbugg
In response to bonprof

Over the last week I have been re-organizing my scraproom. The past 2 days I have done nothing but gather together and re-organize my embellishments (stickers, jolees, die cuts, etc...). I put them in groupings by themes, (months of the year/Holidays, Alphas/Phrases etc....) I am putting everything into plastic pages and laying them flat in big binders. It's the same concept as "The ScrapRack" but only laying flat instead of at an angle. I decided that "containerizing" my stuff was a bad idea because I cannot find anything if it is hidden away and I also don't remember what I have if it is not visible or easily accessible.

From doing this project the last couple of days and seeing what all I really have - all categorized and grouped together, I realize I don't need to go shopping for anything for a very long time. And now everything is at my fingertips and I can easily flip through the pages and see exactly what I have.

I made my own version of this (link to product below), without so many rings, using old 12x12 3 ring albums and laying them out so the covers overlap one another. Once I get this project done and the rest of m scraproom done, I will post some new pictures.

ScrapRack - Multicraft Storage System - Base Unit with 7 Spinders

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to Shutterbugg

Oh Maureen, I would LOVE to see your ring binder storage system. Can you post pics just to that, without waiting for the rest of the scrap-room to be done? Pretty please?

cescrapper
Expert
cescrapper
In response to Shutterbugg

scrapbooking is not for whimps

Shutterbugg
Idol
Shutterbugg
In response to cescrapper

I agree.... scrapbook is not for whimps.... This kid's brain is exhausted from organizing everything into themes... lol!

And RedSquirrel - I am going to stop on my way home from work tomorrow to pick up hopefully the rest of what I need to finish that project (12x12 plastic pages and two 12x12 albums). It would seem that the company that originally made the divided sticker pages is no longer in business so i am improvising. My larger sticker sheets are being put into 12x12 plastic pages because those lay more flat than the 8.5x11 pages in a stack in a 12x12 album. And yes, I will post pictures of just this part, before the rest of the re-do is done. I must say, I am quite happy with this way so far as you can literally ask me for something - Orange alphabet?, Purple flower?, Giraffe?, American Flag? - and I can walk over and go straight to where it is. I couldn't do that before with everything stored in boxes, bins, envelopes etc....

In response to the original posters question about a scrapbooking allowance - yes, I do have one. No, I haven't used much of it lately because I have been trying to use what I have. And now after this past weekends project, I see that I wont be needing a scrappy allowance and that $ will be just added to my savings account instead of spending it on more stuff (with the exception of the binders and 12x12 pages I will be purchasing tomorrow to finish this project).

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5
In response to bonprof

• bonprof Said:
This topic ties in with "paper obsession". This month I've spent almost $300 on scrapbook supplies and I can't really afford to do that anymore. I'm putting myself on an "allowance". Does anyone else do this?

I don't know what this means. I'd look up "allowance" in the dictionary, but I'm too busy shopping~Judy

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics