Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Labeling your work!!        (Topic#1588157)
Kathy_in_wlsv
Pro
Kathy_in_wlsv

I'm not even sure this is the right category.

I just found a really pretty scrapbook in a box o stuff that I had put away a few years ago.

Obviously SOMEONE made it for my mom.. I think. Mom passed in 1996. I'm 60. These are OLD pictures.

It's FULL of photos of extended family from as far back as 1920. 90% of the photos are unidentified as to years or even first names, let alone locations or any identifying information.

Someone put in a fair amount of work on this and I have no way of knowing who. I've taken some photos of it and posted it on my FB page, but obviously it won't hit the extended family, and many many of the people in the pictures are long gone.

It would be so nice if the creator of the album had slipped in just a simple card saying "this album lovingly created by **** 00/00/0000"

Sigh. I have no idea what to do with this album. I'd give it to a grandchild of who ever made it probably..

Resident
In response to Kathy_in_wlsv

It belongs you.

teresa0817
Expert
teresa0817
In response to Wafatah

I put my name and month on the back of every page I do. In the future at least someone will have that. What a treasure you have.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to teresa0817

I sometimes sign my journaling with my full name, and sometimes do some journaling in the third-person, so both my first name and my husband's first name but show up, and across the course of an entire album those things are bound to happen a few times, so a little detective work across all the pages would give someone their answers (and even just knowing our first names would be likely to catch the eye of or trigger a memory in a distant relative ("I remember that name, I think that's the name of Great Aunt So-and-so's daughter", or something).

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Mayor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 05-19-13 05:33 AM
In response to aquabunny

Kathy I couldn't agree more and it pains me when I see beautiful work posted here that doesn't identify in any way who is in the photos or who beyond the posters sb name who made it.
I have an old photo album my grandmother made nearly 100 years ago. Some of the photos are labeled but unfortunately many are not. As Aquabunny said some detective work has allowed me to figure out some of the unidentified people and places but many are not

This has inspired me to sign the backs of my los and if needed add identifiers there also. I know that a lot of scrappers do that up to and including whole stories typed and added to the back.

Juansmom
Idol
Juansmom
In response to GMFTS

I have thought about this very dilemma...as you see from my signature line my work is in museums, and sources are very important!!! In fact, in the library at my museum we have MANY scrapbooks, from as far back as 1890's, I think! Many of these books were not labeled with names, much to our distress.

So to that end, I try to name all people in photos underneath the pic, or in the journaling. I also add a date of the event photographed, and on the back of the page i write the date I created the page (why? IDK, to see my creative process? Maybe...but maybe also to indicate how fast memories fade...) I will admit, I never thought to SIGN my pages...but I should!

I was recently contemplating some pics in envelopes still from my college years...whew too many years ago! (21!) You have so many memories with these people for 4 yrs...think you will never forget them...them BAM! Who was the guy that lived with Darlene's BF? yeah, the one who played baseball, no the tall one with curly hair? Yeah, you all know what I'm talking about...how do I include all that under a pic? hee hee...gotta rethink how to label those pages one day!!!

cescrapper
Expert
cescrapper
In response to Juansmom

I have a photo of who think might be my uncle when he was a boy and two adults' the handwriting on the back is illedgable and that makes me sad because no one is alive now to tell me who these people are

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to Wafatah

One thing I have done with old "mystery photos" is that I have taken them with me with I have visited my oldest family members. I have solved some of the mysteries but not all. I just keep asking about some of them.

lakauai
Resident
lakauai
In response to CrimsonMama

I agree - labeling the people in the photos is so important. We don't think much of it now, but these scrapbooks are (hopefully) going to be around for a long long time, who knows how many hands and family members they may pass through?

You can write a list of all people in photos on the back of the layout if you don't want to clutter the page with names

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 05-20-13 06:29 AM
In response to lakauai

I often forget to do a lot of these things when I complete a layout. First, I scrap very slowly so it might be several weeks before I finish one complete layout. So I don't really have the "habits" that some people might. So I've made myself a checklist. It includes things like wipe the fingerprints off the photos before placing the layout in the page protectors, sign and date the back of the layout, and include any pertinent info on the back if it's not already on the front, including names, date, location. I also have a reminder to include the page number of the negative if it's a photo taken on film. All (ok most of them) my negatives are in page protectors in 3 ring binders that are numbered and labeled.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to Vae

I sign and date the back of each LO, but in the back of each album, I make an index...a cast of characters :>)

In columns I have a photo of the person as they are in that album, or a couple photos if they've changed radically...enough photos so people can ID them in the LOs, then columns with complete name, relationship, dob/dod, place of birth/death, address—if it's relevant to the album, and sometimes the locations in the album where that person can be found, such as TX Trip 4-09. Since I normally scrap chronologically, it's easy to find that particular section in an album about Trips to Texas. I do this in a word processor program as I go, then when an album is completed, I can print it out and put it for the final page. It sounds more complicated than it is :>), but it's an easy way to look and see all the genealogical info. about people in the book that I want to include and it's all in one place.

I also do a lot of journaling, so somewhere people will be ID'd, but not in great detail since that can be found in the index.

On the back of LOs I also usually list the products I've used. It makes it easier to include them in the Gallery, plus I can go back and match colors/paper lines, if I want to. I just write them down as I use them, either on the back or on a scrap paper that I can transfer the info to the back when the LO is dry and finished.~Judy

Juansmom
Idol
Juansmom
In response to cescrapper

• cescrapper Said:
I have a photo of who think might be my uncle when he was a boy and two adults' the handwriting on the back is illedgable and that makes me sad because no one is alive now to tell me who these people are

Try letting a teacher take a look at the writing...we are used to illegible handwriting n can usually decipher problematic stuff!

Charmedmemories
New Kid On the Block
Charmedmemories
In response to Juansmom

This is something I think about often, and one of the MAIN resons I scrapbook! I label everything and do a month/year, etc. I also do it in my hand writing, not from the computer...

Tenant
In response to Charmedmemories

Go to your local library or your Mom's and/or family many now have archival photos and information. Our library made copies of the album I found after my Mom passed noting the pictures that have unidentified people. The gal attached my name and a little family history. Wonderful idea.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 05-20-13 05:05 PM
In response to claytonrk

Mrs Driver, I bow to your greatness.

meezerpleaser
Diva
meezerpleaser
In response to Vae

If you can do it, get your older relatives to mark in pencil on the back of old photos who's who. My 90 year old aunt is the family archiver of pictures but she became blind suddenly ten years ago, so we're helpless to know who is who in these old photos because nothing is noted. If we had a pencil notation on the back, I could work with copies and document the family history, but as it is...

Diva
In response to meezerpleaser

I don't label my pages, but sounds like a great idea.

rgridings
Tenant
rgridings
In response to bayamonesa1

I have never thought about signing my albums. I may just have to start doing this.

OlesyaK.
Diva
OlesyaK.
In response to rgridings

A friend of mine has a stamp that says "handmade by" and her name on it. she stamps all her works - she mostly makes cards and minis for gifts - and her friends tell her constantly that their friends see her cards and ask who made them. I think it's a great idea to label your work.

anda11
anda11 
Mayor
anda11
In response to Kathy_in_wlsv

Hey Kathy, If you pm me your moms maiden name & her hometown, state...
I can post a query on the ancestry.com site. I am a member. There are message boards there for ea state, counties too. There are also boards for surnames too.
I have pics that are not related to me so I posted some on the county bb & people were very glad. I can also post a pic of your mom & ask if anyone is related in the surname or the county bbs. People do that all the time.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics