Page 1 of 6 
Username Post: CM filing for Chapter 11        (Topic#1588197)
suznut
suznut 
Veteran
suznut

So I heard the news that CM recently filed for Chapter 11, I know this is a means for a company to reassess their debt and stay in business. However, I am wondering if it is also a warning sign that the end is near for them? I'm very saddened because I LOVE LOVE LOVE their albums and tools. Although I do venture out and use other embellishments and papers, my albums have always been CM and I have never found another album with the same quality and durability as CM. I truly hope they are able to overcome this. Has anyone heard anything else about this recent news?

bonprof
Mayor
bonprof
In response to suznut

Yes, two of my closest scrapbooking buddies are CM consultants. So far, they say that CM will down size from 150 products to 50. I was told to buy any tools, etc NOW. However, in Australia, all consultants were told that any order would be filled "as supplies last". Scary.

KimKV
KimKV 
Queen
KimKV
  • KimKV on 05-21-13 03:25 PM
In response to bonprof

An unfortunate sign of the times. Seems like every where I go store, online and companies like CM it's all getting smaller. Before we're all going to have to make it all ourselves!!

Babylou
Diva
Babylou
In response to KimKV

I believe Archiver's filed too recently. It's a scary thought.

Legomom
Expert
Legomom
In response to Babylou

CM has done this before, but this time I think will be the final go... if they can't make it after this then it will probably be curtains.
I've switched to 3-ring and CTMH albums.

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Governor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 05-21-13 05:29 PM
In response to Legomom

I find it perturbing that more and more good scrapbook stores are struggling while the boring boxes thrive.

I think of it as the WMartization of everything. Get cheap quality with limited choices and call it a bargain.

What is so sad to me as that scrapbooking can be such a creative craft but as retailers follow the trends in the craft world they diminish and eliminate the categories of "last year" and splurge on the next trend that is getting pushed.

Of the four box craft store chains in my area three have in the last few years significantly reduced their space dedicated to scrapping.

I understand the attraction of digital for some but there are many of us out here who still love playing with paper and all the fun stuff that works with it.

Thanks for sb.com who is keeping us well supplied.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to GMFTS

I buy almost exclusively on line because of the box stores having nothing and no scrapbook stores around me.

moxiegirl23
Queen
moxiegirl23
In response to Sneezy1956

I've been dealing with this for a month now. This is a scarier bankruptcy than the last time and it's uglier, too. The talk of line reduction isn't from 150 products to 50, but 300 to 50.

I'm wondering how much longer I'll be a consultant and if I'll leave before they fold or stop being a consultant because they fold.

crichards1
Veteran
crichards1
In response to moxiegirl23

Their albums are really far nicer than anyone else's, and their tools are just excellent. I love their custom cutting system. This makes me very sad.

t-scraps
Expert
t-scraps
In response to crichards1

They filed again about a month ago; not surprising. I read that they are downsizing their product line. To me, it will be like it was when they first started. Cute stuff, but how many times are you going to use the same thing over and over again?

suznut
suznut 
Veteran
suznut
In response to t-scraps

I agree, I really hope they can survive this. It will be interesting to see what all they keep and get rid of, I just hope the albums stay on board longer...

fknapoleon
Pro
fknapoleon
In response to suznut

I have to say, I'm not surprised. No offense to any consultants because I don't know you, but the consultants that I have known have been terribly indignant. They acted like CM was the only product you could use or else your pictures and memories were doomed and you would end up in a ball of flames. Their items are good quality but they were horribly over priced. In this economy, they were just too expensive. I hate to see any scrapbook company go but it's a sign of a different time. There are just too many competing items and when your consultants have a polarizing effect on people, it's going to come back and bite you.

Vintageivy
Veteran
Vintageivy
In response to suznut

I use their albums and pages, cutting systems, and adhesives and have for many years. I sure hope they keep these products. I wonder if there will be a "warning" in case customers want to be sure to stock up on certain items!?

bonprof
Mayor
bonprof
In response to fknapoleon

I'm sorry you had that experience. My two CM friends never acted that way. In fact, it was because of them that I learned to scrapbook in 2001. They have devoted thousands and thousands of hours helping women like me. It will be a tragedy if their company goes under.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 05-22-13 05:38 PM
In response to bonprof

I've seen a ton of "consultant kits" listed for sale on craigslist... people who stopped selling it because it was costing them more money than they were making. I think there are way too many consultants in my area. I'll admit, I personally don't buy CM stuff because of the prices, and I imagine a consultant needs to have several regular customers in order to make the business model work. I personally know 5 people who sell/used to sell CM and they all said they didn't have enough variety of product to keep customers ordering on a regular basis, and so many of the people they approached already knew someone else who sells it. It seems like cutting back their product line would only make that worse, doesn't it?

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to Vae

Wow, first Archivers, now CM. As popular as scrapbooking is, I'm surprised.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to dwelch

I'm not sure about "sign of the times"....I think this happens all the time and has throughout the ages...companies go down, as competition heats up...always has.
I'm not trying to offend anyone, everyone has their opinion, but I was never impressed with the CM stuff...I'm sure there was a time and place for it but there is so much more out there now (and much better, IMO)...
I think some of their tools have merit but most of the other stuff is just way behind the times....
I also think that a lot of companies that depend on independent sales are going down....that's just not the best business model anymore and people don't buy that way....

moxiegirl23
Queen
moxiegirl23
In response to dwelch

• dwelch Said:
Wow, first Archivers, now CM. As popular as scrapbooking is, I'm surprised.

Actually, it was first CM and then Archivers. CM's filing has nothing to do with the popularity of scrapbooking and everything to do with the decisions that the corporate team has been making all along.

mj scrappin'
Veteran
mj scrappin'
In response to suznut

Oh that is so sad...although I too venture out for embellishments, even pages and page protectors, the albums themselves are by far the most beautiful and highest quality. I did discover that I could find a larger variety of printed paper, card stock, stickers, etc. here on scrapbook.com, Archivers, Hobby Lobby, etc. but this still concerns me. I will probably never be a digital scrapper, I am on a computer for work all day, I want to literally cut and paste when it comes to scrapbooking. Thank you for the head's up on this. Time to do some advance ordering.....

chile_chicken
Guru
chile_chicken
In response to mj scrappin'

I am a consultant in New Zealand and our HO is selling everything off at discounted prices, there is no more stock coming in and so we are pretty much out of a job from the end of the month. Australasia is in Voluntary Administration and even the digital aspect is stopping at the end of the month. I am pretty sad as the albums are wonderful, but of course I will continue to scrap, I will just have to find another range of products that I like.

Page 1 of 6 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics