Page 1 of 3 
Username Post: hardcore traditional?        (Topic#1588211)
bonprof
Mayor
bonprof

I want to hear from people who ONLY do traditional scrapbooking and can't imagine going digital.(With all due respect to the digital community, my pc is for work only).

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to bonprof

I wouldn't really call myself hardcore (when I saw that, I was thinking more of very old-fashioned black-paper-and-photo-cor ners), but I'm exclusively a paper scrapper.

cindy312
Diva
cindy312
In response to aquabunny

I'm hardcore. I spend enough time on the computer for other things and can't imagine scrapping digitally.

chocolateaxel
Mayor
chocolateaxel
In response to aquabunny

I am a strictly paper scrapper, too. I have seen some beautiful layouts that were done digi, and when I look at them on the computer, I love them, but when they are printed out and I look at them, to me they are missing a lot. Strictly my opinion, so I don't want to get hate mail from the digi scrappers, but in my opinion digi LO's are lacking in feeling, it's like looking at a picture in a magazine, pretty but flat, devoid of any emotion. I miss the depth and texture, the slight imperfections that make it unique and special to the creater, the feeling that you can imagine yourself in that moment captured by the camera because of the way the LO draws you in. And I miss the creativity I find in the paper scrappers when they try a new technique or product, or improvise using something I would have never thought of.
Absolutely no offense intended to the digi scrappers, everyone enjoys this hobby for different reasons and with different needs and resources. Thankfully there is plenty of room in the scrapbooking world for all the diverse styles and talents.

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS
In response to chocolateaxel

The digi scrapbooks are beautiful, but for me i spend 40+ hours a week in front of a computer for work, and i cant make myself spend any more time in front of a computer, I dont think i would enjoy my crafting as much if I did. If ever I got away from a desk/computer job I might dabble in digi, but there is just something I love about having actual supplies in my hand I love. So I doubt I could ever leave traditional scrapping completely

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit
In response to MrsAnnieS

I'd have a hard time doing digi scrapping. I love both outcomes (paper and digi), but the part I enjoy the most is actually playing with the paper and scissors and glue.

crichards1
Veteran
crichards1

I agree with everything chocolateaxel said. That's how I feel about digital scrapbooking. I'm strictly a paper scrapper.

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to crichards1

I don't scrapbook much anymore (I make cards more often now), but even so, I can't imagine going digi simply because I love to play with everything. I love to hold paper and manipulate things with my hands. I see what some digi artists do and I am in awe of their talent and artistry, but it's just not for me.

bonprof
Mayor
bonprof
In response to siameseplease

There is something that touches my "inner child" when I play with the paper, punches, ink and so much more. I appreciate everyones comments and perspective.

Mama2Thomas
Pro
Mama2Thomas

• chocolateaxel Said:
I am a strictly paper scrapper, too. I have seen some beautiful layouts that were done digi, and when I look at them on the computer, I love them, but when they are printed out and I look at them, to me they are missing a lot. Strictly my opinion, so I don't want to get hate mail from the digi scrappers, but in my opinion digi LO's are lacking in feeling, it's like looking at a picture in a magazine, pretty but flat, devoid of any emotion. I miss the depth and texture, the slight imperfections that make it unique and special to the creater, the feeling that you can imagine yourself in that moment captured by the camera because of the way the LO draws you in. And I miss the creativity I find in the paper scrappers when they try a new technique or product, or improvise using something I would have never thought of.
Absolutely no offense intended to the digi scrappers, everyone enjoys this hobby for different reasons and with different needs and resources. Thankfully there is plenty of room in the scrapbooking world for all the diverse styles and talents.

I agree 100% and hopefully no offense to any digi scrapper . Although I often wonder if I should try digi since I don't have a lot of storage space. But I know I will miss the touchy feely elements of paper scrapbooking. So for now, I will make more room for my traditional scrapbooking layouts

dorichatelain
Resident
dorichatelain
In response to Mama2Thomas

I do traditional scrapping. Not sure if it is hardcore or not.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to dorichatelain

I love paper...I have been on several digital DT but paper is my first love. So I would have to say hard core paper.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to Sneezy1956

I consider myself a paper scrapper....but I do edit my photos on the computer, do journalling on the computer and do digital diecutting/some design stuff....
On one podcast I listen to, they call that "hybrid".....technically, they said if you edit your photos, you do hybrid scrapbooking....

t-scraps
Expert
t-scraps

Paper scrapper here too; nothing against digital layouts, they just aren't my thing. It kinda feels like cheating to me, you know, like making a cake out of a box mix instead of scratch, but in a pinch it will do.

Never tried it either though. I spend all day on a computer and I prefer putting my hands on and touching all my stash.

meezerpleaser
Diva
meezerpleaser

I explored digiscrapping for a brief time, but dropped it and went back to paper scrapping and cardmaking. I found I need to see the supplies in front of me and get my hands on that pretty pretty paper! The sheer "physical" act of scrapping entrances me more than working on a computer, which, like many others, I do for a living. So it's paper for me!

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to meezerpleaser

On the rare occasion that I do make a cake, its straight from the box, but my scrapping is all about my hands on the paper and the ink and the paint and the stencils and and and

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 05-22-13 10:30 AM
In response to Kim222

I do both - there are unique qualities to each form and I take pleasure in both. I love the hands-on experience, playing with tools and getting messy with ink and sprays, different textures of paper and embellies, and running something through my Big Shot is ALWAYS fun. I also love the unique digital things that I can do with Photoshop. I do spend all day at work on a computer, but it's just another tool to me, like my Big Shot, so I don't mind at all using it in my off-time.

And as Kiyawinn points out, even with my paper scrapping there are a lot of digital elements - editing photos, journalling, and I have a digital die-cut machine.

I can understand why some people do only paper, or only digi. And, in support of the feelings of the OP, while I derive great satisfaction from both mediums, playing with real paper is definitely just more fun.

bonprof
Mayor
bonprof
In response to dorichatelain

I would rather stick a needle in my eye than do ditital scrapbooking. That's what I meant by hardcore. I'm kind of extreme. No offense to the digi world.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to stick

For me, I can't imagine doing only paper and never using the computer to go with it. Like some of the others, I'm more hybrid even in my paper LOs since I edit pictures, print-out clip art, and often plan my paper LOs on the computer where it's easy to move things around, manipulate colors, and try embellishments. My final paper LO may look much different from what it is on the computer, but it gives me a good starting point to work from and especially to plan the size of photos to print. I also print many of my bg papers.

I especially like printing out clipart, or making/printing my own flourishes, then glitzing them up with sprays, stickles, embossing, etc. I can get the exact design, color and size I want without spending $4 or $5 on a pack of embellishments. It's easy to make my own 3-D embellies and much cheaper.

I have posted before that I regret starting paper scrapping, but since I have, I enjoy it, but I also like some of the things that can be done with digi...but I don't buy kits. I actually spend more time on a digi LO than a paper one because of all the special effects that can also be used. But digi doesn't make my floor look as pretty and sparkly :>) ~Judy

chocolateaxel
Mayor
chocolateaxel
In response to mrsdriver5

That is a good point about the computer time, I stare at a computer all day and have noticed that in the past 4-5 years use my home computer less and less because I just can't bear the thought of looking at a computer screen for another minute! I have a photo editting program that hubs gave me for Christmas that I still don't have a clue how to use, I can't make myself stay on the computer at home long enough to figure it out, lol. I keep my iPad handy for checking in the forums here, and playing a few games, but I can use it laying in bed so it doesn't seem so much like a computer to me.

Edited by chocolateaxel on 05-22-13 11:17 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Page 1 of 3 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics