Username Post: Melt Art Beeswax        (Topic#1588213)
Expert

I have seen such cool projects done with this so I bought a jar to try in my melting pot. However, I have heard that you need the project pan to melt the beeswax in. Can I use anything else to melt it in?
I was thinking of looking at the dollar store for a small foil pan that might be shaped into the melting pot to melt the beeswax in. Any thoughts?

Expert
In response to scrappy_day

Anyone?

gin1902
Diva
gin1902

Hi scrappy_day-I'm sorry nobody's been able to answer this for you. I haven't done this, but I do remember you're not supposed to heat wax directly because it can catch fire. I would think any pan (that you're not then making spaghetti in later) that would fit inside the other pan would work. I hope someone else can give you a better answer and that your project turns out!

SherylEb
Idol
SherylEb
In response to gin1902

I have a melting pot, but didn't know you needed to use a different project pot. The metal pan is a project pot. I not know why you would ned to switch them out.

I don't know why you couldn't use foil. I would just the melting lot like normal.

I have been looking for more uses for this. Would love to see what you make.

SherylEb
Idol
SherylEb
In response to SherylEb

I was checking Pinterest, and saw a link for melting pot stuff. It does show a seperate project pan you use for melting wax. I haven't watch the utube videos yet, but thought you might want to look. I haven't checked yet, but I bet there are videos on wax in the melting pot.

I will PM you the site because it does come from a store.

Artfulscrapbooking
Veteran
Artfulscrapbooking
In response to SherylEb

You can use a double boiler on your stove or a small old slow cooker on low. I haven't done it myself, but I got the info. from Claudine Hellmuth's Collage Discovery Workshop book. It's a great resource book for all sorts of techniques!!

My blog: http://artfulscrapbooking .wordpress.com/

Expert
In response to Artfulscrapbooking

Oh I never thought of a slow cooker! I got a small one (like for dips) a couple years ago for Christmas that I never used.

SherylEb
Idol
SherylEb

Just watched a very good video on utube. By goincricrazy
Beeswax in the melting pt part 1. It was done in 2011.

I put melting pot beeswax in the search and it was one that came up.

Talks about beeswax being very flammable and where you can order project tray. Good info on there

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to SherylEb

I'm afraid I don't know anything about melting pots I'm afraid, but I do make candles, although not specifically beeswax.

I just use an old saucepan with a pouring lip, that fits inside a slightly larger saucepan with about an inch of water in. Heat the water up on the stove and turn it down to a simmer.

Put the wax in the top pan, and once it is melted, make sure you wipe all the water off the bottom of the pan with some kitchen paper (be careful not to scald yourself) before you pour it out. If you don't do this, you risk getting water on your project as well as wax.

This may not be any use to you as you have the other equipment already, but it may be - and it might help someone!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics