Page 1 of 3 
Username Post: Cameo not cutting properly, HELP!        (Topic#1588259)
Liz Senteney
New Kid On the Block
Liz Senteney

Hi,
I'm new here, I've been desperately searching for help with my problem. I went to a Facebook forum where the people were rude, and I left the group. I emailed customer service who were NO HELP whatsoever, and I've been Googling like crazy trying to get help.

Anyway, my problem is hard to explain. It started a couple days ago when my original blade (I've had for a year) wasn't cutting properly. I took it out, looked like it had stuff in it, so I replaced it with a brand new one. Still wasn't cutting properly.

When it cuts now, it "taps" and doesn't make a smooth solid cut. It is not completing my shapes, either. As in, it cuts half of it, but doesn't complete the cut. Also is no longer cutting enough for me to weed my vinyl. I have adjusted the blade settings more times than I can count, I uninstalled and reinstalled the software, I turned off and unplugged the machine, I reset my computer, fiddled with the settings, to no avail. (I NEVER changed the settings when I changed the blade, nothing changed but the blade itself)

Customer service was ZERO help, they said there isn't anything they can do for me.

I took video of my problem, it is 3 minutes long, sorry about that. Is there ANYONE who can take a look at it for me and possibly tell me what's wrong all of a sudden? This is my livelihood, I have orders to get out and now I might have to cancel them because my machine won't work! Plus, in 1 week, I have my VERY FIRST EVENT that I am supposed to sell my items at! I have NOTHING for it! PLEASE HELP!!!

VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeaTdI9YNT8

Edited by Liz Senteney on 05-25-13 02:28 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to Liz Senteney

Hi and welcome. I'm sorry you've had troubles with other people being unhelpful, that's so frustrating.

I had something similar with my first generation Silhouette, and do you know what it turned out to be? The USB cable. I never would have expected that. I changed it out for a better quality one, not the one they supplied, and have never had that trouble since.

Mine would do that funny tapping thing, and sometimes shift the cut so that it cut half the image half an inch down the page. It didn't appear to be catching on anything. It just made a kind of graunchy noise and then repositioned itself halfway through the cut.

Another weird thing it did was to stop and take a coffee break partway through the cut. I'd think it had finished, but when I looked, the blue light was still flashing, the software said "busy" and it was just sitting there doing nothing. Then after anything from half a minute to 5 minutes, it would suddenly start back up again, and finish the cut. This would happen only with more complicated cuts. This seemed to stop after a software upgrade, but it did it again the other day for the first time in a year. I unplugged the "new" USB cable, powered off/on and it's been fine since.

Have you got another USB cable you can swap out with that one? Try that first. Also have you tried properly cleaning the old blade and trying that again? If that stops the tapping, it points to the new blade being the problem. If it doesn't, and the USB cable doesn't help, there's a bigger problem.

Let me know how you get on?

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to RedSquirrel

Oh, I just had another thought. You know the "fin" on the top of the blade? When you put it in, which direction is it facing?

Liz Senteney
New Kid On the Block
Liz Senteney

Hi,

Thank you so much for your help.

I forgot to mention, I DID switch back to the ORIGINAL blade, and it still did this. So I am sure it is not the blades I'm using, and I did tell customer service that as well.

The fin on the blade, it faces me I think? Right? It's hard to see it in the video. Is that right?

I am not sure I can afford to the replace the USB, but I might have to try.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel

Sorry, I wasn't being very clear. Not the fin on the blue blade locking mechanism, the fin on the blade itself. On mine it is black plastic and is right on the top of the blade. The fin needs to be facing in the 3 o'clock position. It's hard to describe.

A USB cable only costs a few bucks. In the UK here I am, they cost £1.25. I believe they are called Type B USB 2.0. You might find that you already have another knocking around the house, on your printer for example. It's worth checking, and swapping it out temporarily if you find one.

Liz Senteney
New Kid On the Block
Liz Senteney

Well, I switched out the USB, I had another, didn't make a difference. It did, however, cut my full shape, but still did the tapping, and didn't cut all the way through the vinyl.

I have the blade itself turned up to setting 5, and my software it was automatic, and set to a 2.

Any ideas on how I can mess with the settings to get it to cut properly??? I am so desperate! I have 10 orders waiting that I might have to cancel

Liz Senteney
New Kid On the Block
Liz Senteney

I knew you weren't referring to the blue thing; but the fin on the blade itself, at least mine, isn't just on the top of it?

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean. I Googled videos on inserting the blade, and it didn't help me. I feel really stupid.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel

If you can't find another USB cable, just try switching the Cameo off, unplugging the USB cable at both ends, plugging it back in again and switching it back on.

Liz Senteney
New Kid On the Block
Liz Senteney

I found a USB from my printer, it didn't change.

I think maybe my blade is not inserted properly. I feel like this is really an operator error on my part!

I'm attaching a pic, showing what I think the "fin" is you are referring to. Is that correct?

Thank you so much for your help and patience. [image]http://flickr.com/gp/bullypawsonetsy/A1 A2zc[/image]

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel

OK, so the USB is making a difference but not fixing the problem. Let's go back to getting the blade put in correctly (which you probably are but if you're not, it will mess things up). Try Googling Silhouette Cameo replacement blades then clicking Images. When I did this, some of the pictures showed the blade and the black fin thing on the top of it. It's just a bit of black plastic sticking out, but with the blade down, this fin needs to be pointing to the 3 o'clock position. My old Silhouette actually has a little diagram stuck on a sticker inside the lid. It's possible the new Cameo isn't the same, I don't know. I've been Googling pictures for you!

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel

I see the picture, and I think I see the thing I'm calling a fin - that little piece of black plastic closest to the camera, right on the top. That's the thing that needs to be pointing to the right when you put the blade in the housing. I think!

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel

I'm so sorry Liz, I'm going to have to go to bed. It's 00:40 where I live now and I have church in the morning.

Please let me know how you get on? I really, really hope for your sake that it is as simple as putting the blade in correctly. I'll keep everything crossed for you, and I'll check back in the morning to see how you got on.

Good night, and good luck!

Liz Senteney
New Kid On the Block
Liz Senteney

Can anyone help?

I really don't know where to place the blade apparently. I Googled pics of it, and I'm seeing different results. I've looked up videos, and I can't really SEE what they're doing.

HELP!!!

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel

The fin should be pointing upwards (12 o'clock) if you're cutting without a mat, and to the right (3 o'clock) if you're using a mat. And possibly different again if you're cutting fabric but I have no idea about that. You have a mat, so it should be pointing to the right as you stand above it and look down. Make sense?

And now I really am going to bed!

SherylEb
Idol
SherylEb

Liz, send a PM to tanyaham. She's really good on the cameo also. She must not be on here, but a PM may go to her cell. Mine does. Just tell her you need help really fast and she can get on and look at what you need help with.

Sorry I can't help you, I have a cricut e and gypsy.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn

• Liz Senteney Said:
Can anyone help?

I really don't know where to place the blade apparently. I Googled pics of it, and I'm seeing different results. I've looked up videos, and I can't really SEE what they're doing.

HELP!!!

When you have the blade in your hand, there is a piece of the black plastic that sticks out...the "fin"....
That piece should be at the 3:00 position when you are looking straight on to your machine and slip the blade into the housing....
The blade should fall all the way down so that the "rim" of the blade is touching the housing.
Then flip the blue switch back to the right to lock it into position....
Does that help?

Liz Senteney
New Kid On the Block
Liz Senteney
In response to kiyawinn

How do I contact that person?

I tried the fin to the right at 3 o'clock, it KIND OF helped, but it's still tapping when it cuts, not making a solid, smooth cut, and didn't quite cut all the way through.

I'm still not even sure I've got the fin in the 3 o'clock position.

gin1902
Diva
gin1902

Hang on a second, Liz. I'll holler for Tanya.

Liz Senteney
New Kid On the Block
Liz Senteney
In response to gin1902

Thanks! I can't figure out how to do that. This forum thing is new to me.

gin1902
Diva
gin1902

No worries. I'm as technochallenged as a person can be, so I won't even offer my help~ trust me, you're substantially better off that way! But there are several people here who can help.

Page 1 of 3 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics