Username Post: Brand New and Need HELP        (Topic#1588285)
New Kid On the Block

I've never done scrapbooking. I've never been interested in it. I like things like cross stich and that sort of thing. So WHY am I here?

Because I have a 80 year old scrapbook that is deteriorating. My Grandmother made it for my mom when she was a baby. It's filled with these AMAZING birth announcments, birthday cards and so on. You would be AMAZED at how detailed they used to make cards. As a child I used to sit for HOURS AND HOURS on rainy afternoons and just stare at these cards in awe.

But I have NO clue what to do with it. It's huge, think about those old photo albums or the size of a book that just sits on a table as deceration and then thicken it by inches. The pages are falling apart, coming out of the book and the cards are falling off the pages. I think it's too late to restore so I think I have to move the cards to a new album. But being cards that open I think it's more difficult.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where I can start?

bonprof
Diva
bonprof
In response to JDiamondW

Welcome! I am not the one to help, but there are many talented people in this site who will. Check back each day.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to bonprof

Hi and welcome!

How are the cards attached? Just stuck to the pages by adhesive on the backs of them? I would love to see photos of the old book.

New Kid On the Block
In response to RedSquirrel

I believe it's some sort of glue thats no longer holding. My husband has friends who can do a high quality scan for us. We will be doing that sometime this summer.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to JDiamondW

If you want albums for cards, or interactive pages, especially with minimal or no embellishments, the pages without page protectors might be a good choice. I don't believe they have any in the Superstore here, but Creative Memories make them. I would suggest you act quickly though, as CM are restructuring and cutting back on a lot of their range.

Albums with page protectors are cheaper, easier to find and there's a massive range. You can still cut holes in the plastic for the card fronts to stick through, and this would protect the insides of the cards. You could choose the colour of your card-stock background, and maybe add labels and extra information.

Albums come in D-ring/3-ring, or post-bound, or Snapload. Any would do for your collection, but if it is really thick then the ring-bound or Snapload would stand up better. I've attached a few for you, but look in the Superstore for a huge selection. This store is great!

Have a search around the net and see what you can find - YouTube is a great resource. Also in the Superstore here, many of the products have their own how-to-use and inspiration videos.

As far as adhesive is concerned, you can't beat the ATG.

Please feel free to ask any questions as they occur to you, and have fun with your new project!

crichards1
Veteran
crichards1
In response to RedSquirrel

I would use pages with page protectors, especially since the items on the pages are so old. Attach the cards from the back. Make a copy of the inside and attach that underneath the card.

This is what I did with some old post cards that I have. I just made copies of the backs of the cards and put them on the same page. The WeR Memory Keepers 3-ring albums are great. Those and the Creative Memories albums are the best that I've used. Hope this is helpful.

Hdubarry
Tenant
Hdubarry
In response to crichards1

Another option: Use divided page protectors to slip the individual cards into. Then they can be slipped out to be looked at.

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to Hdubarry

You will get excellent advice here. And welcome! I love to cross stitch too! But I have to say scrapbooking is addicting!! You will love it too!

dorichatelain
Resident
dorichatelain
In response to binkiemonstermom

I've made a couple books with cards in them. After I got the page done I put it in the page protector and marked then corners of the card on the page protector then took the page out an cut the page protector so there was a flap You have to put a hole on the corners so that the cuts don't keep splitting. i then put the page back in the page protector then I could keep the card safe and clean but you can still open the card.

If there are stuff still on the pages in the original book you want to carefully cut the paper off the back but I wouldn't try to remove the adhesive. It might not work well....

Diva
In response to dorichatelain

Good luck with your project. Very good ideas. I will go for the binder type of album. My preference.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics