Username Post: Plain chipboard shapes        (Topic#1588357)
scrapchica
Guru
scrapchica

Generally I've stayed away from the plain paper-bag-brown chipboard shapes as embellishments, because I just don't know what to do with them. In one of the page kits I got recently, there were several chipboard shapes. (This was a Disney kit, so was a set of mickey ears, a hand, a train, etc) I have no idea what to do with them other than paint them a plain color. Suggestions?

NMlady
NMlady 
Governor
NMlady
In response to scrapchica

adhesive and glitter!

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to NMlady

Cover them in paper...trace & cut away the remaining paper.

I especially like Joy's idea to cover them in sparkily glitter!

Cover in stickles...paint & cover in crystal gems...dew drops...

Embossing paper...glitter paper...craft foil...

A clear, shiny gloss or glaze (black, red or yellow for the ears) would also look pretty neat!

Depending on the look, you could even use ink, distress, stamp or send them through an embossing machine.

Individually embellish or alter them...

Add ribbons...buttons...washi tape...

Titles...journaling...

Mini photos...diecuts...punches...clipart

Add or create multiple layers or popdots.
Products Referenced in This Post:

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS
In response to KellyCali

I like to stamp mine with acrylic paint and then use distress ink on top, the paint acts as a resist and gives it a really cool look. I usually use a metallic paint and an ink color that matches the project for a bit of pop!

I also use some of the techniques listed above, but the paint and ink is my favorite. Depending on the shape you can really mimic the design with your stamp choice. Example, use a swirl stamp on a bird shape, can look like wind or feathers

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to MrsAnnieS

If you are going to paint or stain them, it is best to give them a coat of multi medium or gel medium.....then your paint or stain colour will show true to colour....

A quick way to cover chipboard is by using strips of washi tape....
One of my favourite ways is to heat emboss.....You can add your embossing powder and right after you've heated it up and before it dries, sprinkle it with glitter....the glitter will stick to the embossing and it looks really nice!
Also, (maybe not so appropriate for Mickey) you can cover it with random pieces of tissue paper (using Mod Podge) and get a stained glass sort of look if you use different colours.....
I love using chipboard 'cause I love 3D elements to my layouts!

RedSquirrel
Idol
RedSquirrel
In response to kiyawinn

All great ideas, plus my own favourite: paint them white with acrylic paint or gesso, and THEN add coloured Stickles. It makes them so bright and glowing.

scrapchica
Guru
scrapchica
In response to RedSquirrel

Thanks all for the GREAT ideas!! Really helping! I tried to use my embossing ink pad on the Mickey ears because I have black sparkly powder, but the ink didn't stick to the chipboard? So I got speckled heat embossed spots...

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn

What type of embossing ink are you using?
Because there is definitely good stuff and bad....

My favourite is the Versamark....it works beautifully everytime!
Also, the chipboard should look wet when you've covered it with the embossing ink, then sprinkle on your powder, tap off the excess, heat until it melts.....

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222

I need to try some of the fun ideas on this thread!! I love chipboard because of the dimension it gives to my projects. Adhere with foam tape (or similar) to get even more dimension!

In the past, I've colored it (using paint or ink or stain) then used multiple layers of UTEE. Gives an epoxy look. You can leave it like that, or stamp into the warm UTEE. I love doing that!

I've also covered it with foil tape, ran it through an embossing folder and used alcohol inks on it.

I also like painting it and stamping some kind of background stamp over that.

Have fun with it!!

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Kim222

My favorite thing to do is heat emboss. It gives a nice, shiny, finished look.

terrihooper
Mayor
terrihooper
In response to Bxr-Linda

All of these are great ideas!

scrapchica
Guru
scrapchica
In response to terrihooper

These ideas are great! TFS! I need to buy a better quality embossing pad evidently. I tried using the Scotch brand quick dry adhesive to adhere loose glitter onto one shape. Messy. Any good suggestions on adhering glitter?

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222

Stickles is my good suggestion on adhering glitter!!

I'm not a big fan of glitter because of the mess, but sometimes you need a little. I've used dry glitter with scor-tape, but it isn't my favorite thing to work with.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn

• scrapchica Said:
These ideas are great! TFS! I need to buy a better quality embossing pad evidently. I tried using the Scotch brand quick dry adhesive to adhere loose glitter onto one shape. Messy. Any good suggestions on adhering glitter?

I use my Xyron to adhere glitter.... it's less messy if you use a tray as well...
If you don't have a Xyron, try double sided adhesive, sprinkle glitter, then rub off excess..

scrapchica
Guru
scrapchica
In response to kiyawinn

I do have a Xyron in 2 sizes! Wouldn't have thought of that! TFS! Hoping to get some time in tomorrow to play

scrapchica
Guru
scrapchica

Shoutout kiyawinn! Thanks for the embossing pad recommendation. It WAS the cheap pad I was using. I bought the versamark today and it made all the difference. SO pleased with the result of the black sparkly embossed Mickey ears! Even hubby said "that's cool."

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn

You're welcome! I'm so glad it worked!

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to kiyawinn

Glitter them.

Cover with paper.

Glimmer Mist.