Username Post: Envelopes and mailers        (Topic#1588455)
GinnyA 
New Kid On the Block

Hi, I'm new to the forum but have been visiting the card gallery for quite some time. The cards you folks make are absolutely awesome!

My question, what do you mail your cards in? Do you make your own envelopes? How do you keep them from getting crushed in the mail?

Your suggestions will be appreciated.

chocolateaxel
Diva
chocolateaxel
In response to GinnyA

I have used the card packs you can buy at Hobby Lobby or Michael's, but have pretty much stopped using those because lately they all seem to be scored improperly so when folded they don't line up well. But the plus is you get envelopes with the prefolded card bases.
I have now started cutting an 8 1/2 x 11 piece of heavy cardstock in half, folded it makes a card that will will in an A2 size envelope, which I buy at any office supply store.
When mailing, I just have to take my chances that the postal service won't mash or mangle the card inside, lol.
Hope this helps!

GinnyA 
New Kid On the Block
In response to chocolateaxel

Thanks, Miss Chocolateaxel. Will take a look at the card packs.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to GinnyA

I love using the card packs. I have also noticed that the scoring is a tad off lately.

NMlady
NMlady 
Governor
NMlady
In response to Luvmyfam

I save the thin sheets of foam that come in packaging of items I buy and I cut a piece the size of the front of the card so that any dimensional embellishments do not poke through the envelope.

GinnyA 
New Kid On the Block
In response to NMlady

Foam inserts. Great idea! Thanks, NMlady.

chocolateaxel
Diva
chocolateaxel
In response to NMlady

That's a great idea, I never thought of adding a little padding to protect the card. Thanks for sharing!

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to chocolateaxel

I forgot the padding! I will sometimes slip in a small piece of bubble wrap. With some cards, just a piece of cardstock on top of the card is all I need. For delicate cards, I will put them in a bubble wrap mailer (after putting them in a regular envelope).

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale
In response to Luvmyfam

I use the foam or thin bubble wrap, too. Make sure you use the correct amount of postage. I save and reuse small padded envelopes. I can usually peel off the mailing label and put a new label over it. When I take the time to make and embellish a card, I don't mind paying extra postage. One thing I found out, is that handmade envelopes made from PATTERNED PAPER are rejected at the post office. You will not receive them back, either. Do you have any tools or devices to make envelopes?

AmyWho
AmyWho 
Mayor
AmyWho
In response to pinkpaperairedale

Rejected?! I was just getting excited to use my envelope maker and send a pretty envelope.

I usually end up sending them in a bubble mailer but will try some of these tips, thanks!

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to AmyWho

I make my own envelopes and have never had any rejected by the post office...I don't use heavily patterned paper, though.
I just use plain paper or lightly patterned paper.

I use my Cameo to cut out my envelopes but there is the envelope maker that came out this past winter CHA....
Alternately, you can use a plain score board...

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to kiyawinn

I have used patterned paper to make envelopes, but I use single-sided paper and put the pattern on the inside. Use the same paper on the card as well, and you have a co-ordinated card and envelope.

I've always had my doubts about using the patterned side outwards.

flintridgescrapper
Diva
flintridgescrapper
In response to RedSquirrel

If a card is just a little lumpy, I will cut a piece of chipboard, and put in the envelope on the lumpy side of the card. It keeps the dimensional elements from getting caught in the postal machines. If it has some major big flowers, etc. on it, I use clear boxes. Google them. You can find them in all sizes. I just cut a white sheet of printer paper, and put the name and address on it, and put it over the top of the card in the box. Tape the ends shut, and the postage goes on the outside of the box. I've never had issues with them getting to their destinations in one piece.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to flintridgescrapper

Make my own with Envelope board mentioned above make my envelope one size bigger and wrap my cards in bubble wrap since they always have lots of flowers and embellishments.

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to Sneezy1956

I usually buy the card and envelope packs at the craft store and just mail as normal!

cinlange
New Kid On the Block
cinlange
In response to mrsrogers52513

Depending on the card (of course, I will sometimes use poster board. I cut it down to make an envelope. It works well. May cost a bit extra for postage, but if you spent a lot of time on it...well worth it. The savings is in the cost of the poster board. Cheap...and you can make quite a few envelopes with just one sheet!

flintridgescrapper
Diva
flintridgescrapper
In response to cinlange

I really like this idea of using the poster board. Thanks for sharing!

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to flintridgescrapper

Never thought of that, good idea!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics