Username Post: Techniques anyone?        (Topic#1588581)
kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn

For those of you that like to try new techniques, watch videos, take online classes, listen to podcasts etc....What are your favourite techniques? Have you heard any great tips lately? Please share.....

I have a couple.....
I heard one on PRT recently....if you want to stamp on something bumpy or 3D objects, you can stamp onto white tissue paper (just the cheap kind you get at the dollar store), then paint around the stamp with water to tear away around the stamped image.
Put a good coat of gel medium onto your bumpy paper or object, lay down the stamped tissue paper on top, then add another good amount of gel medium on top of that.....basically the tissue paper "disappears" and all you can see is the stamped image!

Another one I haven't tried yet is to emboss vellum paper....I emboss all kinds of stuff but haven't tried vellum before, not sure why!

gin1902
Diva
gin1902
In response to kiyawinn

I've embossed on vellum, Rosey. No idea what kind or band of vellum, but I used the Tim Holtz distress embossing ink and copper Zing embossing powder. No crinkling or scorching of the vellum and it sticks just fine.

Resident
In response to gin1902

Is possible with paper for use at fold. Bring page up and serve to opposing dominant page. Not pull from outside. Under flatness is concerned when for page photograph.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to gin1902

• gin1 Said:
I've embossed on vellum, Rosey. No idea what kind or band of vellum, but I used the Tim Holtz distress embossing ink and copper Zing embossing powder. No crinkling or scorching of the vellum and it sticks just fine.

I actually meant regular embossing with embossing folders but heat embossing works too!

gin1902
Diva
gin1902
In response to kiyawinn

Oops! My bad!

chocolateaxel
Mayor
chocolateaxel
In response to kiyawinn

I just recently made some gorgeous cards that I used vellum as an overlay on the front. I embossed the vellum with an embossing folder, I have to say it comes out gorgeous! But, and it's a big but, you have to use the heavier weight vellum, the folder will cut all the way through the thinner vellum. But it gives it a really pretty frosty look on the heavier vellum.
I had a hard time thinking how to answer your original question. Once I leave work, I pretty much avoid computers like the plague, so I never watch any youtube or videos or online classes or webinars or anything that requires a computer. I do love to take classes at the local rubber stamp store, have learned some fun techniques there.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to chocolateaxel

I was trying to get my prize bling onto a page last week and I was struggling. It was one of those beautiful gems shaped into swirls and it knotted itself around itself and stuck to itself and drove me mad.

Luckily I was at a crop, and half the room clustered around me trying to help!

They had me stick it back on the backing plastic (a feat in itself by then!) then just peel the plastic back bit by bit and stick the swirl down as I went.

OK, probably stale news to all you bling veterans, but it was news to me and very helpful. Just thought I'd share.

Einat Kessler
Tenant
Einat Kessler
In response to kiyawinn

I've used a new technique lately - stamp a paper with distress ink then spread a little of perfect pearl powder on the paper. Get rid of the leftovers. finally mist a little water over itto set it. It gives the stamp an amazing look with a little shimmer and depth.

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to Einat Kessler

Its an oldie, but I really love using embossing powder as a resist for inks and paints. I didnt realize how much I liked it until I looked back at how many times I actually used it

Great topic!!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Kim222

I'm going to try embossing velum! Sounds awesome and maybe something I can handle without destroying and wasting too many supplies.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to Henri Jean

Some good ideas!

I thought of another one I saw...on a video by Wilna Furstenberg....
She coloured some small circles onto cardstock with Gelatos, then she used glaze on the top and let them dry....cut them out and voila, you have some homemade enamel dots!

I thought you could use clear rock candy stickles in place of the glaze, or UTEE or Glossy Accents...and then you could punch them out with a circle punch to get a really precise circle...
I haven't tried this yet but am hoping to play a little this weekend!

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 06-07-13 09:09 PM
In response to kiyawinn

I haven't really been able to scrap in a while since we are moving, but I have tried a few things.

I recently tried printing on vellum after a few people (including you!) talked about it on another thread. I loved it!

I've also been trying a few mixed media techniques that I've seen on some youtube videos. This is definitely something I need more practice at since my results haven't been quite as good as I hoped, but it's been crazy fun trying them

Einat Kessler
Tenant
Einat Kessler
In response to Kim222

I'm not talking about embossing powder, I'm talking about perfect pearls powder by Ranger it has a great effect.

meezerpleaser
Diva
meezerpleaser
In response to RedSquirrel

I've got a tip for getting swirly bling onto your pages/cards. Cover the bling swirl with painter's tape, carefully peel the bling swirl off the backing so it's just attached to the painter's tape, then position it on the page/card and carefully peel the painter's tape off.

gin1902
Diva
gin1902
In response to meezerpleaser

Thank you Lucinda! What a lifesaver tip to use the painter's tape. Thank you!!!

meezerpleaser
Diva
meezerpleaser
In response to gin1902

And, of course, I use painter's tape for printing on a piece of cardstock. I print my journaling or title or whatever in the middle of a piece of copy paper, then I use a line of tape at the top of the piece of cardstock and position the cardstock over the printing on the paper, run it through the printer and VOILA! Easy peasy!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics