Username Post: why oh why does shipping have to be so high        (Topic#1588681)
Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956

I have a full cart of stuff and can't make myself to push buy because the shipping is 1/2 the cost of the whole cart!

chocolateaxel
Mayor
chocolateaxel
In response to Sneezy1956

Could it be because in an effort to stay afloat the postal service has inflated all it's costs? Companies have to pay to ship, if they don't pass it on to the consumer, they will go broke.
I'm not happy with the postal service right now, it cost me $5.60 to send something Priority Mail, 2-3 day delivery. That was 12 days ago and the item is nowhere to be found. According to tracking, it was delivered, but where? Not to the address on the label. But is the postal service taking responsibility? No way! At least when you pay a company shipping, if the item doesn't arrive, they make good on their promise.

timon
timon 
Veteran
timon
  • timon on 06-11-13 07:33 PM
In response to chocolateaxel

I agree with the above poster. because rates have gone up at the post office, so hasn't the cost of fuel for the mail trucks and planes that are used to ship everything. all sorts of hidden charges in there. i do agree with you, i hate not being able to put things in my cart because I know shipping will cost too much. Free shipping days are nice, but i don't like that you have to order a certain dollar amount.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to timon

But I have a problem when I can get the same thing at another store at the exact same price and their shipping is much less I want to support Scrapbook.com but their shipping is almost always double what I have to pay any place else. I know they have over head I agree they need to make a profit but why double?

t-scraps
Expert
t-scraps

Yeah, shipping costs are crazy and unfortunately everything rolls downhill so it gets passed onto the consumer.

I've passed on many a product I would like to purchase here due to the fact that it costs almost as much to ship as the product. I have too much stash so I don't want to order $40.00 of even more stuff just to get the free shipping so I do without.

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale
In response to t-scraps

Shipping costs ARE high. It seems to me that products are on sale and there is no free shipping OR shipping is free and there is no sale. I know it is not cheap to ship.... from a personal point of view... that is what keeps me from secret sis or swaps. It can cost me $12 to ship about $15 of products to a partner. A tag swap can cost me a total of $15 to ship to/from plus the costs of the products to make them. I love the sharing... but the mailing costs are keeping me away more often than not..... thanks for listening to me vent.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to pinkpaperairedale

Pink totally understand same with me but my big cry is that other stores ship cheaper what is $18 here is 9 at others.

Einat Kessler
Tenant
Einat Kessler

Imagine what the shipping cost is when it has to be sent to another country (not Canada) SO EXPENSIVE!

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to Einat Kessler

Shipping to Canada, for me, starts at about $21....so if I'm not ordering A LOT of stuff, it's just not worth it....
Commonly, my shipping is $40 or $50.....

I love Scrapbook.com and the variety of things I can get here but I have to agree with Jane....shipping does seem MORE expensive here than anywhere else! I'm not sure why that is, but I can purchase from another online scrapbook store and the cost is far cheaper....maybe the store is closer to where I live??

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to kiyawinn

Oh, and when there is a free shipping day, international orders get $6. off.....it's nice but when the shipping is over $40, it doesn't seem like much of a discount....

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to kiyawinn

Alison I can't imagine having to pay international shipping so scary just thinking about it OUCH!

Lamoo12
Governor
Lamoo12

shipping costs are high because the cost of gas and minimum wage is high. it's all relative.

meezerpleaser
Diva
meezerpleaser

I almost always have a cartful of stuff waiting for free shipping day. Mostly paper. Couldn't afford it otherwise! But there's no LSS here, so I stick with sb.com.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to meezerpleaser

What I don't understand is that the sister site of sb.com has $3.99 flat shipping and their physical addresses are the same, so it doesn't make sense to me...except that site doesn't have as much in its store, which also doesn't make sense to me...but what do I know? I try to buy from sb since I use their forums, classes and gallery, but I definitely watch for the free shipping days.~Judy

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to mrsdriver5

Shipping to the UK starts at nearly $50 from here and $43 from ScrapJazz. Just sayin'.

Judy, maybe ScrapJazz is just trying to attract more people to the store so that they can stock more stuff? They also do a $6 off international shipping when they have their free shipping days.

fknapoleon
Pro
fknapoleon
In response to RedSquirrel UK

I feel for anyone who has to ship outside of the U.S. It's so expensive!
However, I guess I don't see the qualms over a measly three dollars. That's a latte.
I've never had anything but impeccable service from here. My items are never bent or anything less than in stellar condition when they arrive. I've ordered from other sites and that 3 dollars is usually the difference between bent papers, less than exceptional packaging, and support of a great site.
It's not realistic for everyone to shop here 100% of the time, but this topic seems a lot like a beaten dead horse.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to fknapoleon

My problem is it's more than 3 I'm talking $9 difference in shipping I can buy a lot of stuff with $9.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5

I don't think I've ever had a shipment that was $3. Like Jane, I can't see spending half as much-or more-for shipping as I am for the product. I mostly buy stuff here that is newer product that is on a good sale or free shipping, and get basics & older products from other online sources with better prices. SB still makes a bundle off of me :>) ~Judy

DittoBabyGirl
Governor
DittoBabyGirl
In response to mrsdriver5

Ppssstttt.....free shipping today!!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics