Username Post: Want to use scrapbook for proposal... Help please!!!!        (Topic#1588687)
New Kid On the Block

I am about ready to propose to my girlfriend... We have been together for about 2 years, but we have been good friends for closer to 20. She is a literacy coach at an elementary school. Literacy and little kids are her passion. My original thought was to find a personalized leather sketchbook and create a kids story about how we met and our lives up until this point. On the final page I wanted to ask the question with the ring showing by cutting a 1.5" x 1.5" square from the remaining pages and putting an insert from a ring box, or piece of styrofoam.

My problem is, I cannot find the type of sketch pad I need with enough pages to accomplish this. Now I'm thinking that if I just draw the pages on paper from a sketchpad and put them into a scrapbook, I might have better options as far as the book or cover is concerned. (I also think it would be cool if we had a daughter that I might be able to read her the story of how her parents met as bedtime story a little down the road)

Any suggestions on where I can find something that might help me accomplish this? I'm guessing I will need 30-40 pages for the actual story, then have enough left over to put the ring .

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If I can't do this... I need to start thinking about different proposal ideas

scrapchica
Guru
scrapchica
In response to Duane2621

Ok, so a basic suggestion, and I'm sure others will have great ideas and suggest/improve. If you wish to draw it on your own, I don't know if sketch paper is acid free; if you want the album to last long enough to read to a future child and not yellow with age-this may be something you want to look into. They do make large packs of basic white cardstock (heavy, acid free paper). I would suggest a post bound album. That way you can have the paper out on a hard surface while drawing and also be able to move pages around in the book as needed. The post bound albums allow you to take the papers out of the top of the protectors. I'm not sure of the ring part, but I could see being able to glue a piece of foam to the back of the board-maybe even glue styrofoam or something around it to make it even with the pages. Stacking up a bunch of paper and cutting a hole in it may not work out so great with that kind. The most popular size of albums are 12"x12" or 8"x8" and you can find cardstock pre cut into those sizes. They also make 8.5x11, 6x6, or 4x4. Good luck and I think this idea is really sweet.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to Duane2621

I know it's an expense, but what about using a binder? If you enjoy drawing, this would be a way that you could make your own books...including for future children. You could use chipboard, art paper, laminated pages (perfect for a young child) and make it any size you wanted.

If you just put "binder" into the store search, you'll see lots of items, but I'll list a basic binding tool.

Good luck and have fun with whatever you choose to do.~Judy

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics