Username Post: photos of layouts        (Topic#1588695)
bonprof
Mayor
bonprof

my photos of my layouts do not look like everyone else's. What am I doing wrong? Thanks for your help.

rockmom
Queen
rockmom
In response to bonprof

Natural indirect light is best. Stand above your LO and square the LO in you viewfinder then edit to crop out all but the LO. Good luck.

rebeccakeppel
Idol
rebeccakeppel
In response to bonprof

My method is this...
I place a white foam core board flat on my desk. I lean another white board against my hutch as the backdrop. My desk is next to a window so I get indirect sunlight. I shoot in RAW so I can adjust exposure and white balance after the fact if I need to. I lean the layout against the backdrop so it is nearly standing exactly upright. I sit a few feet back and focus on the middle of the layout. I take several shots then edit in Lightroom and Photoshop Elements. I try to take the photos at a time when I can have the blinds fully open to let in lots of natural light, but not when the sun is at an angle to cause glare on the photo. The best time of day for my room changes by season. Just keep playing around, trying new spots and settings.

fknapoleon
Pro
fknapoleon
In response to rebeccakeppel

What the above posters have said.
Plus, take photos of your layouts before you place them in their protective sleeves.
Take pictures of one layout at a time, not when they are in your album already. It's easier for your camera to focus on the one page.
If you don't have photoshop, use any simple editing program. Most photo storage options will at least let you crop.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to fknapoleon

I had a look at your gallery and I agree with some of what pp said....
Take the layouts out of the album to photograph.
Take the picture from straight overhead (put the layout on a desk or on the floor and shoot straight down)
What kind of camera do you have? Even if it is a point and shoot type camera, you can use the macro setting and get more detail in your photo
Make sure to edit the photo....lots of OS have a photo editing software program built in but you can also download "Picasa" for free....
I always crop my photos so that the image is all you see....I also adjust lighting and sharpen....

Good Luck!

bonprof
Mayor
bonprof
In response to kiyawinn

Thanks for the tips. I'm using my iPhone right now as my camera is giving me trouble. Not sure about the editing part, but I will try.

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to bonprof

Those are actually pretty good photos for using an iPhone - I'm surprised. If you have trouble getting the editing part down, at least see if you can move in closer to the layouts and avoid showing as much background clutter as possible.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to dwelch

If you go to your Camera Roll and select your photo and touch Edit (top right corner), you can crop and auto-correct.

bonprof
Mayor
bonprof
In response to RedSquirrel UK

yay. Thank you so much!!

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to bonprof

I don't stand above mine to photograph them. I simply set them upright next to a window (not facing the window though or you will get a lot of glare). I use Picasa, which is a free editing program to crop the edges so that all you see is my square page. It's a very easy program to work with. I tried photographing my layouts in a lot of different ways but this seems to be the easiest and quickest. Definitely take them out of the page protector too because it will cause you to have a hazy glare over your whole page.

tanyaham
Guru
tanyaham
In response to olleharr

This is such a hard subject for me, too! I have tried everything to get good photos for my blog. I don't have any rooms with natural sunlight though ... I use a white foamcore board as my backdrop, and I use the flash on my camera. I have tried setting up a lightbox and not using flash, and I get odd coloring, almost like a haze. I'm keeping an eye on this thread to get more good tips from others!!

bonprof
Mayor
bonprof
In response to tanyaham

Ok I just did the whole thing and used everybody's suggestions. I think it worked out pretty well. Thank Goodness for my iPhone and you gals.

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to bonprof

It turned out great! It gets a lot easier with practice.

bonprof
Mayor
bonprof
In response to olleharr

Thanks so much!!

Sewflake
Diva
Sewflake
In response to bonprof

There is a big difference in your pictures, all the ladies here gave you the best advice for getting quality photos!

Crafting Marfa
Veteran
Crafting Marfa
In response to Sewflake

These are my suggestions:

Do not use flash and make sure that there is no light reflecting on your photos.

Use editing software to straighten out the photo and to correct your perspective so the page is perfectly square.

Crop out the backgrounds so that only the layout is showing on your photo.

OlesyaK.
Diva
OlesyaK.
In response to Crafting Marfa

agree with no flash
agree with indirect light, natural when possible ( I don't like the window light b/c of the western direction of my windows, so I use OTT/natural white light not just for scrapping but also for shooting).
I also don't like shooting from overhead. Instead, I keep a three ring office binder handy, and flip it inside out on a table for an instant easel that's just the right size for the layouts - like this:
D-ring easel By OlesyaK.
this way you shoot horizontally not upside down, you don't have to climb on the chair/stool, you can use the desk light, prop the elbows on the table for a steady shot, etc etc - the benefits are endless)
oh, and set your camera to close up macro or to landscape - I find the second option works best for both the colors and the focus.
then, of course, edit a bit - fix the colors, trim the edges, straighten - two minutes on Picasa, and done.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 06-18-13 06:02 PM
In response to OlesyaK.

Olesya that binder easel is BRILLIANT! Love it!

OlesyaK.
Diva
OlesyaK.
In response to tanyaham

• tanyaham Said:
This is such a hard subject for me, too! I have tried everything to get good photos for my blog. I don't have any rooms with natural sunlight though ... I use a white foamcore board as my backdrop, and I use the flash on my camera. I have tried setting up a lightbox and not using flash, and I get odd coloring, almost like a haze. I'm keeping an eye on this thread to get more good tips from others!!

one tip, if you HAVE to use the flash - use a diffuser, it will soften the light. it's awesome! google "gary fong puffer pop up flash diffuser" - a (relatively) cheap gadget that mounts on your pop up flash and makes the light softer - great for portrait shots too! there are alternatives for point and shoot cameras too.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics