Username Post: Deciding on topics to scrap        (Topic#1588709)
New Kid On the Block

So, I consider myself an average scrapbook person. I have been scrapping for about 18 years. I have great luck coming up with themes for single books. BUT, I want to create a series for my kids (17 and 22) and the family. Seems silly, but I can't figure out how to do them. I have baby books, no problem. The problems start when I try to do more. How do I combine them? Do I use school years? Do I use chronological and put both kids into all of the books. Anyone have any suggestions?

nanof8 
Resident
In response to froggielady

I decided to do an album for my son for his 21st it ended up 2 large albums I started at birth and went through until his 21st birthday. So why don't' you do an album each for your children and start it from where their baby books end.

dabnat
dabnat 
Expert
dabnat
In response to nanof8

I have books for each of my children. I make sure when they graduate high school they are all caught up for the open house 2 done 2 to go. I simply went in chronological order of their lives. I made separate books for our larger vacations, and my daughter danced for many years so those are in their own books as well. As far as the family book - I haven't made it that far but I did print and save my favorite pic from each event so far and it is in it's own folder to scrap later. Hope this helps.

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi

My 'kids' are 30 and 37 now and I'm sorting pics to do books for them. What I'm going to do is do a two page spread of birthdays, followed by pics in the photo keeper pages, then a two page spread of our summer camping trips followed by pics..and on...Easters, Christmas', Halloweens.. I can't possibly 'scrap' all the pics taken nor do I want to but I think the combo I'm planning will work out good.

dorichatelain
Resident
dorichatelain
In response to Sunnydi

The best thing about scrapping is you can do it which ever way you want.

I have several books going at all times. I did a baby book of my daughter for all her grandmas. I started doing a book of my daughter. any and all pictures. I didn't go in any order. I figure when I get all the pictures done then I will put them in order.I did a book of my mom for her memorial service we had. It was nice. I did it starting with her birth announcement. I couldn't believe her cousin had one after 70 years. I then went through her child hood. and into her graduation fro high school and her mother hood with all us kids as babies. and I took all the pictures she had framed in her apartment of people. It was all about her and the things in her life that was important to her. I did a section of her working and her costumes she would wear for all the holidays. Then I took and made pages of what things were important to her. like she loved chocolate, coffee, she like jewerly so I took one of her necklaces, earrings, bracelet and scrapped them. She loved making scarfs on her knifty knitty looms so I took pictures of the looms and I actually made a mini scarf to put on the page. I made pages of her grand children her dog and my dogs because they all three were very important to her. After I got done this book was so full I couldn't close it. I had it laying open on the table so everybody could look through it at the service so closing it wasn't important at the time I made it. I did how ever need it to close when I got it home so I had to do 2 books. One I did of he starting as a baby and the family. Then I took all the important things and put them in another book. I also took pictures of the table that i set up for her. all these years she had the baby dress she wore when she was 8 or 9 months old. and I pinned it on there and her urn and a favorite blanket of hers that her sister gave her that she used until she passed. I had other things on it and I took pictures of the table so that I could put it in her book.

I did a book for my mother in law of all the times we had been together. We lived in 2 different states so getting together usually meant taking pictures and going to fun places. There was everything from our first meeting to holidays to lunches at our favorite restaurants to camping to her back yard.

I am doing a book of my grandma. It is slow going and I have a hard time working on this book so I only do it when I get in the mood to do it.... I have every kind of picture of my grandma that I could get my hands on. I have collected alot of embellishments for it. I have a lot of mementos to put in the book.

And my daughter has been scrapping as long as I have and she has scrapped things in her life. so me doing a book for her is a thing I decided not to do long ago but I am doing a book of her for me.

bonprof
Diva
bonprof

I made two albums for my girls; each book was done "baby" to "Jr. High" and I did the best I could considering there were gaps. I couldn't find certain photos for certain ages, etc. I agonized over these albums for 4 years until I pushed myself to finish them at a crop retreat. I got to a point where it was becoming stressful and not a joy. I think we all get caught up on "perfection". My dear friend who taught me how to scrapbook said to me, "Donna, it's better if it's done rather than perfect". My girls love their albums. Yay

flwrgrl
Veteran
flwrgrl
In response to bonprof

I'm considering doing the same thing. I'm not to worry so much about having a page for each year. I want to keep it loose & just try to hit the milestones in their growing up years. I plan on hanging onto the completed books though. They are busy starting their own families & I think they'll appreciate them more after a few more years. Plus, I want to look at them a bit longer before I give them away.

Einat Kessler
Tenant
Einat Kessler

I had the same problem. The problem was that many of my photos were of both of them! So I didn't want to print them again or to put them just in one book. My solution was to make the books chronological. I started with the baby photos of my oldest and continued with photos of his little brother and photos of them together. This way it was a family story. When ever the scrapbook became too big I started a new one.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics