Username Post: Gelli Plates        (Topic#1588729)
Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222

I took a class last weekend and used one for the very first time. TOOO MUCH FUN!!!

I'm thinking about making some prints on tissue paper and using them as backgrounds on canvas and in my art journal. I'm going to play around with it some more this weekend, but just wondering---do you use it?

What fun things have you done with it?

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to Kim222

Awww you guys!! Nobody is playing with a gelli plate?!

I admit, it may not be for everyone, but find a friend or a store that will let you try it out. Watch some YouTubes about it.

Its fun!! It really is!!

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to Kim222

Hi Kim.....I heard about them on PRT but haven't checked them out yet! What is the deal with them?

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to kiyawinn

I've never even heard of these!

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale
In response to mrsrogers52513

I watched a video that was about 8 minutes. The color had to dry each time and then you had to cover with tape.. looked like too much work and lots of wait time for me to want one. It would be fun if you were at a long, long crop and got to try one. But only one person could use it at a time. I think that you should watch some videos before deciding to buy one.

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to pinkpaperairedale

I'll have to look into this! I wonder if Archiver's would have one to try...I know a lot of times you are able to try machines and tools there before you buy them, which is really nice!

terrihooper
Mayor
terrihooper

Very cool looking! I may have to try it!

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel

Some of my cropping friends have them, and I've watched them in action. It does look like fun. Very messy fun!

But at the end of the day, you're really only using templates (combinations of) and paint (again, endless mixes) to create your own patterned paper. The ones I've seen are smaller than 12x12", so making a 12x12" sheet would be tricky. Creating messy, warped, random patterns on paper doesn't keep my buttons pressed for long.

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to RedSquirrel

Alison, to answer your question, gelli plates are a sort of monoprinting tool. Theyre a lot of fun to play with!

They come in 3 sizes...I have an 8x10. You put paint down and and you can use stencils, templates, you can draw on it, write on it etc. I use all kinds of founds objects like pieces of string, sponges, lace, ribbon, etc. Using die cuts on them is particularly fun because when youre done, you have a pretty cool embellie!

I pull prints on all kinds of surfaces like tissue paper, cardstock, fabric, copy paper etc. You can use the prints to make backgrounds on canvas, in your art journals etc.

You can also use the prints for making cards and layouts - making background paper, journal blocks, mats etc. You can use them to die-cut shapes, alphabets...anything really!

I have a few cards in my gallery that are made from gelli prints, but I also have a ton of prints ready to use for something.....Its my new addiction!!

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to pinkpaperairedale

• pinkpaperairedale Said:
I watched a video that was about 8 minutes. The color had to dry each time and then you had to cover with tape.. looked like too much work and lots of wait time for me to want one. It would be fun if you were at a long, long crop and got to try one. But only one person could use it at a time. I think that you should watch some videos before deciding to buy one.

That doesnt sound like how I use it. When I took the class and even playing on my own I don't cover anything with tape and I really don't wait to dry in between either so maybe the video you watched used a different method. When I use it, its quick, easy and fun!

And yes, only 1 person can use it at a time, but the same can be said for a pair of scissors

Like I said, it isnt for everyone, but Im having a blast with mine! In fact, I have a canvas bag Im going to use it on in the next few weeks. Cant wait!!

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to terrihooper

• terrihooper Said:
Very cool looking! I may have to try it!

You do! You do!

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222

• mrsrogers52513 Said:
I'll have to look into this! I wonder if Archiver's would have one to try...I know a lot of times you are able to try machines and tools there before you buy them, which is really nice!

Ive never been to an Archivers. Looks like an awesome place!!

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to Kim222

• Kim222 Said:
Alison, to answer your question, gelli plates are a sort of monoprinting tool. Theyre a lot of fun to play with!

They come in 3 sizes...I have an 8x10. You put paint down and and you can use stencils, templates, you can draw on it, write on it etc. I use all kinds of founds objects like pieces of string, sponges, lace, ribbon, etc. Using die cuts on them is particularly fun because when youre done, you have a pretty cool embellie!

I pull prints on all kinds of surfaces like tissue paper, cardstock, fabric, copy paper etc. You can use the prints to make backgrounds on canvas, in your art journals etc.

You can also use the prints for making cards and layouts - making background paper, journal blocks, mats etc. You can use them to die-cut shapes, alphabets...anything really!

I have a few cards in my gallery that are made from gelli prints, but I also have a ton of prints ready to use for something.....Its my new addiction!!

Sounds fun! I don't know if I need another addiction though!

terrihooper
Mayor
terrihooper

I made gelatin today and just tried the technique--I do like it. I used acrylic pant and it dried pretty quickly so I wasn't waiting for it to dry before I did the next layer. It was messy and fun. I see me using it more for art journaling than for scrapbooking. But maybe.....

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics