Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: How do you organize a scrapbooking project?        (Topic#1588765)
tavteach
Tenant
tavteach

When starting a new page layout or project, I usually choose and coordinate the paper first that I plan to use. Then, I gather stickers, ribbons, and other embellishments to match. Curious as to how others plan for a scrapbooking project. Thanks for sharing! ~Tava (You can view my materials for a new chipboard/ paper bag album on my blog. Let me know what you think of the color scheme. Thanks. [image]http://www.tinytreasuresbyt.blogspot.com[/image]

leslief
Idol
leslief
In response to tavteach

I usually take my picture/s and bring them to my paper stacks. After selecting paper, I choose my embellishments. Unfortunately, after all this, I still end up changing this around 100 times. This is why it takes me over 4 hours to do a LO!

tavteach
Tenant
tavteach
In response to leslief

That is true! I often will change some things up as well! All for the better, right?

teresa0817
Expert
teresa0817
In response to tavteach

I start with a picture, nothing else. No clue as to what I'm going to do. I pick out a background cardstock, usually a solid color, and go from there. No planning what so ever. LOL Usually change it a few times also.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to teresa0817

When I start a new page I take a scrap 12 x 12 white paper - must be white. I use ones that were inserts in filler protective sleeves or even the inside of the covers of paper stacks.

I put it on my scrap desk and put my pictures on it.

I play with arranging my pictures a bit, check the gallery and my file of saved layouts I especially like.

Once the photos are one the white paper colors start to jump out at me.

I go through all my embellies to see if there is anything I want to use for the layout.

Then I go through patterned papers. I have about 2,000 sheets so I grab a couple hundred at a time to see what compliments the photos.

Once that is determined I go for the solid cardstock.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to Henri Jean

Picture or pictures then paper sometimes I pick just patterned paper sometimes some card stock. Don't start looking for embellishments till I have a good idea of how the layout is going to be set up.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to Sneezy1956

I use a lot of very theme-y stuff, so I often know the papers I'm using right away - but I also very often know the embellishments (or punches/dies/cartridges) before I know anything else.

idlewoman
Veteran
idlewoman
In response to aquabunny

I start with pictures, then I look at sketches with that number of pics on them for ideas. Then I pick out my paper, solid and patterned. Oddly enough, I like to come up with a title next. It helps me decide how closely to follow the sketch I picked out. Then I pick out embellishments.

Now that I say that I think maybe I should do it in a different order because I sometimes find it difficult to add embellishments.

bonprof
Guru
bonprof
In response to idlewoman

I look at my photos and decide what kind of colors I want to use. Then I pull out pattered paper and cardstock to match. Then I pull out a few embellishments that I think will go well with the paper. Finally, I pull out a journaling card, and letters. I have to have all my stuff organized or else I go insane. Right now, I am cropping in an upstairs two bedroom apartment. The living room is my area and it gets crazy. As I finish with a product, I put it AWAY. Hope this helps.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 06-17-13 08:59 PM
In response to bonprof

All your posts truly amaze me. I was sitting here trying to think of my "process" and I don't have one at all. Sometimes I have an idea in my head, but usually not. I'll usually have one piece that I want to use... maybe it's a particular embellishment, a paper, or a technique. I'll hunt around in the gallery for ideas, or just keep digging in my things until I have an assortment of things i want to use. Push them around on the table for a while (okay, maybe a LONG while) and eventually a page kind of happens.

then usually a year later I'll stumble across a special thing that I bought because it would be so perfect for (fill in the blank) but then by the time I got around to that layout I totally forgot about it. LOL!

KimKV
KimKV 
Queen
KimKV
  • KimKV on 06-18-13 04:18 AM

• Henri Jean Said:
When I start a new page I take a scrap 12 x 12 white paper - must be white. I use ones that were inserts in filler protective sleeves or even the inside of the covers of paper stacks.

I put it on my scrap desk and put my pictures on it.

I play with arranging my pictures a bit, check the gallery and my file of saved layouts I especially like.

Once the photos are one the white paper colors start to jump out at me.

I go through all my embellies to see if there is anything I want to use for the layout.

Then I go through patterned papers. I have about 2,000 sheets so I grab a couple hundred at a time to see what compliments the photos.

Once that is determined I go for the solid cardstock.

This is almost exactly what I do!!!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to KimKV

We think alike Kim KV!

I have 6 scrapbook albums - 12 x 12 books with 3D ring and about 85 pages each of embellies but mine are all theme related.

I had one pair of ice skates and knew I would do a page about ice skating someday - just knew it would come up some day. It did this week - we saw ice skaters skating in Quebec City so I had it.

I think I have embellies for every occasion - I don't bowl but I have bowling embellies "just in case" so if I miss the chance to use it, I may not have the opportunity to use it.

I even have a cute embellishment for skydiving "just in case".

I buy embellishments for places I would like to visit but have never been so I like to get to those to make sure I don't forget to use them.

We were in France 2 months ago - I got to use my embellies for France that I have been holding on to.

If I'm using ribbons or buttons (both rare for me, I have boys) or flowers or something that I can use with many layouts I choose the embellies last.

But if I'm using theme-specific paper or embellies, I get to it quickly.

I will be doing a layout of the pandas at San Diego Zoo. I've already pulled the bamboo patterned paper and the diecut of the pando out of my stash so it is in that file.

Crafting Marfa
Veteran
Crafting Marfa

I do the same thing. I choose my paper, embellishments and adhesives. Then I set everything up around me and get to work.

tavteach
Tenant
tavteach
In response to Vae

Thanks for sharing how you all organize your works of scrapbooking art. Hope you are working on something fun this coming weekend! I am hosting a crop at my house, where I will be finishing a paper bag album. Can't wait!

Heather N
Veteran
Heather N
In response to tavteach

For me, it depends on the project itself. If I am just doing a LO then I look at the picture itself..colors? Themes? etc. I start gathering from my stash to build the page. If I am working on a larger project (my brother's steampunk wedding, Christmas, etc) then I gather everything that fits that theme in a clear 12 x12 bin and create my albums that way.

squzalkitty
Tenant
squzalkitty
In response to Heather N

right now i am doing a "cat theme" scrapbook, i am putting it together in the order of when we got our pets. First i pick the picture(s), put them on the 12x12 paper(change the paper a dozen times) (change the pictures a dozen times)then finally when i like the way it looks i glue the pictures down and then i got through my embellishments and put them on the page and change them a dozen times before i glue them down. then if i feel like it i get on the computer and type and print what i want to say about the pictures.

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to squzalkitty

I'm OCD and like everything to match, so I usually use a collection. So I pretty much scrap by theme. Get all my pictures and the paper and matching stickers and embellies into a plastic container and keep it all together.

tanyaham
Guru
tanyaham
In response to mrsrogers52513

I am an organizational fiend!!
My typical process:
*pick which photos from an event I will use, copy to a separate computer file
*sketch my layout on graph paper, also determining what sizes I want my photos
*work on my photos in Adobe PSE, resizing, fixing colors, etc, then send to have printed
*looking at my sketch and photos, pull out papers, cardstock and embellishments I think will work ... I also love using collections or matching embellishments
*figure out what die cutting needs to be done with my Cameo and get it done
*put everything together
*pull my color-coded embellishment vases for further layering or added touches

I also scrapbook chronologically ... so I force myself to get a layout done even when I may not be feeling it. Sometimes those have been my favorites when I look back!

I did a post about my "process" on my blog last year when I did a huge album for my 40th birthday in Las Vegas ... if you're interested, it's HERE.

Edited by tanyaham on 06-26-13 05:12 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Veteran
In response to tanyaham

Yall are soooo creative!!!! I have 5 12 x 12 scrapbooks and 6 little ones. I usually choose the photos first then the paper, and so on....
I always (just started) look into my new hand made book of sketches!!!! I have two little journals that have a ton of glued in sketches from websites!!! Always helps!

OlesyaK.
Idol
OlesyaK.
In response to idlewoman

• idlewoman Said:
I start with pictures, then I look at sketches with that number of pics on them for ideas. Then I pick out my paper, solid and patterned. Oddly enough, I like to come up with a title next. It helps me decide how closely to follow the sketch I picked out. Then I pick out embellishments.

Now that I say that I think maybe I should do it in a different order because I sometimes find it difficult to add embellishments.

I do the same pretty much)) start with the pics and the sketch - usually I have a stack of photos to scrap already there, and take a sketch and find the photos matching by the number and size. then pick the paper matching the sketch and the photos. rearrange , cut, mat, and glue. come up with the title some time in between. only then I start looking at embellies... that's why they are so sparse on my layouts ... and that's why I so often need the sketch to suggest the embellies for me) lol))

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics