Username Post: Scrapping old photos of myself        (Topic#1588767)
New Kid On the Block

I am working on a scrap book of ME. I find it hard to put words to my picutres but as I review some of the galleries I see that people are just putting the ages and maybe the year and that is is. I don't want to be too simple but not to complex either. Looking for some advice

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi
In response to ScrappingWhoKnew

The only advice I can offer is to do what feels most comfortable to you; there is no wrong or right. I'm also working on a BOM but I'm telling stories for my kids and grandkids to enjoy. There are some photos that I want to include that I really don't have anything to say about as they are deceased and I didn't know them so that is why I'm using the photo savers. I will include names of course and a connection.

justowen
Governor
justowen
In response to Sunnydi

My suggestion would be to add a cute journaling spot and just leave it blank until you find something you want to say about it. Just put the basic info now and as you look back through the album in the future or you show it to others, something might come to you that you want to say. If the journaling spot is cute, it should look okay blank.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to justowen

Some great ideas there. Or, you could make a journalling tag and hide it behind your photo or behind the mat. Add a ribbon or tab to pull it out. You could then add your journalling whenever you're ready.

I will say though, that journalling changes pages from pretty photo albums into recorded history. We think we will remember, but we don't. And other people will want to know the "who, when, where" primarily, and if possible the "what, how and why". Think of the frustration of finding a beautiful family photo but not knowing anything about it, not even the year.

Try typing your journalling out on the computer first, till you've got the wording as you like it. If you're having an "off" day, don't print it or copy it out until you're happy with it. But do practise, otherwise you'll always feel blocked. Good luck!

New Kid On the Block
In response to RedSquirrel UK

Thank you everyone for the suggestions

flwrgrl
Veteran
flwrgrl

My daughter can remember what age she was in a picture by what clothes she had on & her hairstyle! When you look at a photo do any particular memories come to mind? What was going on in your life during that photo or the year it was taken? Is there anything in the background of the photo, or is anyone else in the photo with you? What room are you in or where were you when the picture was taken?
Whenever I see a picture of myself at my grandparents, I can taste her sugar cookies, remember playing in her jewelry box, & going to their basement & looking at my Aunt's extensive rock collection. Hope this helps

Einat Kessler
Tenant
Einat Kessler

I think age, year and place are important because that what makes the scrapbook a history. We think we'll remember but we don't.
I think if there is someone you can ask about the photo, maybe remember the day/event it would add a lot to write the story behind the photo. It doesn't have to be fancy just a story...your story.

mindygail
Expert
mindygail
In response to Einat Kessler

good tips. UM, I am working (forever) on a bom and it is rather small like 6x6 or 8x8 and I can't seem to figure out how to decorate and use up such a small space??? any suggestions?

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to mindygail

I am currently working on a similar project....
The best advice I ever heard for journaling is to write what you would tell someone if they were sitting beside you looking at the pictures....

The type of pages I'm doing are....camping, lying in the sun (we used to do that with baby oil, no sunscreen!), birthday (explaining how we used to do a lot of home birthday parties with pin the tail on the donkey type games....I did one page with several winter pics and explained how the weather has changed, a page on the electronics we had back then, games I played with, etc....
I just explain in my journaling, what has changed, something I loved, how things were back then, stuff I would tell my son, looking at the pictures together......

KatieJo
Mayor
KatieJo
In response to kiyawinn

I think it might be kind of fun to do a random trivia sort of thing. If you just remember one thing... like I wore this jacket everywhere, or I was going to such and such a movie, etc. etc. Those would be kind of fun extras to read about I would think.

And mindygail, the obvious suggestion is to search in the gallery for ideas. There are tons of exampes of mini albums there. They range from very elaborately decorated to minimalistic. You are bound to find some inspiration. Good luck!

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to KatieJo

I was having a similar issue with some old photos of myself. I wanted to explain things on the layout but I'm not really fond of journaling on my pages. I did this layout and decided to scan and edit some descriptions right onto the photos. Then I even went back and with a permanent pen I wrote little descriptive words with arrows right on the photos. I thought it got my points across and looks kinda fun too. Not so formal.

Happy Times in Apt.#4
By Olleharr

nj2nh
nj2nh 
Resident
nj2nh
  • nj2nh on 07-18-13 05:49 PM
In response to olleharr

I love the idea of writing on the photos. I don't think you really need anything else. I started scrapbooking myself about a year ago. I am through my freshman year in college. There wasn't a whole lot to say about my baby pictures through about middle school. Can't find anything out about them. Still, I find it a lot of fun to scrapbook myself for a change.

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to olleharr

cute LO!

mindygail
Expert
mindygail
In response to mrsrogers52513

great ideas!! The bom I have been "working" on is so tiny I bought a set of two 6x6 books at m's and there is not enought room I think!!! See my whole thing is on a budget which means I must have 60 or so layouts just waiting to be put into scrapbooks!!! I have no place to put them!!!
I even made a baby book for my daughter kaili but it is being held together by a binder clip!!!
crazy!!WHAT IS THE general size of bom's >??

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to mindygail

Mine is 22 6x8 pages, but that's just a book of the state of my life at the time I made it. I have an ABC album of my childhood and adolescence, and that's 30 pages (6x12). If I were just chronologically scrapping pictures of myself, it'd be like any other chronological project and take up multiple books.

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to aquabunny

I haven't started my BOM yet, but I think I plan on using an 8 x 8 Doodlebug 3 Ring Album. The bubblegum one I think! Haven't planned my layouts yet though, so not sure how many pages I will have.

mindygail
Expert
mindygail

cool

bonprof
Mayor
bonprof

I started a book called Project Celebrate. It's like PL in theme, but i'm doing regular scrapbooking about all the moments that matter to me. It's very personal and i'm not showing anyone yet. And there is a lot of journaling. I never put journaling off as i know so many women who don't return to the page to finish it.

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to bonprof

Sounds fantastic!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics