Username Post: Mixing Your Patterned Paper        (Topic#1588839)
t-scraps
Expert
t-scraps

Is there a certain method you follow when using multiple pattern papers? I just saw a video and one method mentioned was a floral design, a geometric design and a text design. When you mix and match, do you follow a guideline or just go with your inner inspiration?

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to t-scraps

If I'm not using papers from the same line, I just go with whatever looks good to me. I tend to mix smaller prints with geometric prints a lot, often without realizing it.

3LittleLadies
Resident
3LittleLadies
In response to siameseplease

I just choose patterns and colors that look good together.

chocolateaxel
Mayor
chocolateaxel
In response to 3LittleLadies

I just go with what looks good to me, I don't have any type of formula. I always cut the brand strips off and all my papers are mixed together, not kept separate by brand, so I don't know if I mix brands or not, lol.

squzalkitty
Tenant
squzalkitty
In response to chocolateaxel

i go with what looks good to me.

OlesyaK.
Diva
OlesyaK.
In response to squzalkitty

I tend to match by color - so my layouts have two-three prominent colors, not white with everything thrown in scattered like the trendy designers do)) most of the time I'll have a striped sheet with the set, but other than that it's open..

bonprof
Diva
bonprof
In response to t-scraps

This is something that I am also learning to do. Videos helped me a lot, and I find that by using a variety of shapes and designs it helps build texture. But, the page can quickly get too busy. I also incorporate plain card stock to balance things out.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to bonprof

The key is contrast....either contrast colours (same pattern, different colours), contrast patterns (the floral, geometric, text that you mentioned), contrast size of pattern (two florals for instance but one small print and one large)....
Hope that helps!

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi
In response to kiyawinn

• kiyawinn Said:
The key is contrast....either contrast colours (same pattern, different colours), contrast patterns (the floral, geometric, text that you mentioned), contrast size of pattern (two florals for instance but one small print and one large)....
Hope that helps!

This may help me. My eye doesn't like patterns on patterns so if I'm using such I matt one on a solid first. It's like my brain goes whacko when viewing two patterns together...... and I even lived thru the 70's (or should say survived).. haha

Crafting Marfa
Veteran
Crafting Marfa
In response to Sunnydi

Well, I tend to put together colors that compliment each other. I try to use one main pattern and then add smaller patterns to that.

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to Crafting Marfa

I don't have a formula either. I try to use papers from the same line, and if I don't, I just do whatever looks good!

Diva
In response to mrsrogers52513

I have to admit that I am afraid of mixing patterns, but I love the look!

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to bayamonesa1

I do use a mixing formula, but it mostly size of pattern and color, not really what type of pattern, but that may be something I add!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics