Username Post: kind of new to scrapbooking....        (Topic#1588853)
squzalkitty
Tenant
squzalkitty

i think i have the basic stuff down. books, paper, embellishments, but i was wondering what else should i know about? tools? new techniques? what are monthly kits? crops? where do i look up how to get to scrapbooking clubs? stuff like that. sorry for such a vague questions.

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to squzalkitty

check out your local library for some scrapbooking books. Even if the books are dated you are sure to find some great ideas and techniques. I have learned more scrapbooking techniques from 10 year old library books then I care to admit

try to get your hands on some scrapbooking magazines cheap. (don't pay retail, ask around, or buy used from ebay) Magazines are a great source for inspiration BUT NOT at full retail price.

sign up for Crops, Challenges & Classes. Check out your local scrapbooking store, community/adult college, church, Meet-up. Scrapbooking activities are happening everything and are an excellent opportunity to check out the latest.

and I can't say it enough, research, research, research BEFORE you run out and buy a lot of stuff. We all have buyers remorse because we bought the wrong type of ink or were too quick to buy something because it was cute. Learn about cutting systems BEFORE you purchase one (and these too are available CHEAP used on ebay or craigs list).

Try to ease into certain techniques. You don't have to try everything thing on every project. And you don't have to run out and buy supplies for every technique. This is typically how people get overwhelmed... too much $tuff.

cescrapper
Expert
cescrapper
In response to Gelidy Gelato

try a new technique once and if you like it stick with it. That's how i've fretted out what works for me and what doesn't like glitter

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to Gelidy Gelato

I agree, don't feel like you need to buy it all at once. When I started, I think I did buy it all!!!!! After I found my style more, I found that I didn't like certain papers. I needed more cardstock. I found it easier to get all my cardstock from one company rather than all over, that way what I had matched, it was filmsy, and I didn't buy mulitple colors that were ssssooooo close to each other it was hard to tell what was what. I buy all my cardstock from Stampin' Up now.
The tools are ssssooooo much fun to play with, but I found out there are some duds out there. There don't work, or are not user friendly at all. Do your research when you find a product you want to try. Ask here what others think. Visit blogs to see how a product can be used.
A good tip that I try and remember, it that before I buy a tool, product, stamp set, I try and think of at least two projects I will use it for. If I can think of more.....the better! Then it is something I am likely to use. If not, I will probably let it sit on the shelf and not use it, not a good use of my crafting dollars.
I am a Stampin' Up demo so a lot of my stuff is Stampin' Up, but not all. I have found my style, I love vintage, I love October Afternoon, Cosmo Cricket, Echo Park, and Simple Stories. If I love a paper pack, I will get some of the accessories to match. I have to limit myself on Christmas, Halloween and fall paper because after awhile, I get out of hand!!!! Hello, I am Michelle and I hoard paper!!!!!
Don't be afraid to use what you have! I used to get an amazing accent and not want to use it. Know what? There will be another amazing accent again!!! Use what you have!!! I found that I don't like flat stickers, so I don't buy flat stickers anymore. I am not much of a sticker person. I tend to use layers, edge punches, dies, framelits, chipboard, ink, misting, to get the effects that I want.
Hope that helps!!

fknapoleon
Pro
fknapoleon
In response to binkiemonstermom

tools? There are so many tools out there. I'd start off REALLLL slow with tools. They are usually a big investment. And as Gelidy said, you can try ebay and craigslist if you find one you really love.
new techniques? If it was me, I'd get the hang of your style and how you scrapbook before diving into new techniques. For example, as Michelle mentioned, misting is fabulous but you don't want to run out and buy 10 bottles of spray to find out it's not something you like. Try and use at least half the bottle before buying more.
what are monthly kits? Monthly kits have papers, stickers, ribbon, and what not that are all organized so you don't have to find what coordinates.
crops? A great place to meet other scrapbookers, try new tools from neighbors, and to actually get scrapbooking. There are people on here who love crops and people who don't. I'd try one and see where you fall.
where do i look up how to get to scrapbooking clubs? I'd try the meet section of craigslist, meetup.com, Archiver's if you have one near you. My Michael's does a crop for a couple of hours once a month.

Edited by fknapoleon on 06-20-13 09:42 AM. Reason for edit: I hit enter too soon.

squzalkitty
Tenant
squzalkitty
In response to fknapoleon

thank you all for your help. i think i am going to get a cuttlebug. i got one for my mom for Christmas a few years a go. it's so much fun to work with plus you can kind of do a lot with it.

bonprof
Mayor
bonprof
In response to squzalkitty

Start with your local scrapbooking store. Sign up for a crop and keep an open mind. It's all about having fun and telling your story. Also, the online lessons here at Scrapbook.com are great. Start simple. This hobby gets very expensive, very fast. Enjoy!!

Resident
In response to bonprof

Do not provide income adding for the scrapbook above limit for wealth is picking. Jar of scrapbook will never interest for person is give the time, jar once the money. You post online also, in time scrapbook not the cost. Pleasure not of worth in the limit, have the friends on here help. Thank you, Wafatah

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics