Username Post: Using Colored Embossing Powder        (Topic#1588861)
lizzzi
lizzzi 
New Kid On the Block
lizzzi

I'm a newbie in the embossing area and I am perplexed about when to use colored embossing powder. Is it better to use clear Versamark embossing ink and colored embossing powder or colored pigment ink and clear embossing powder. What are your thoughts on this. Appreciate any input!

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to lizzzi

I have heard of people doing it either way. For me, I use Stampin' Up embossing powder. I have the color that matches, I use colored embossing powder. It's easy, it is simple and it always matches!
I think the clear works well if you don't have the color of embossing powder available. I don't use pigment inks so I can't speak to those at all.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to binkiemonstermom

I've tried using colored pigment ink with clear powder and I really wasn't a big fan of it.

fknapoleon
Pro
fknapoleon
In response to aquabunny

I've used color pigment ink with clear embossing powder and I didn't like how it looked. It gave a filmy look. Versamark ink and colored embossing powder gives a crisper look in my opinion.

melissadam
Angel
melissadam
In response to fknapoleon

I always use versamark with my colored embossing powders and am happy with the results

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 06-20-13 12:34 PM
In response to melissadam

I think it just depends on the look you want. I've used the distress inks with clear embossing powder and I love the results. But I do have a few favorite colored powders as well. No matter which way you decide to go, you do NEED the versamark for some things and clear embossing powder for some. I'd say just buy one colored ink and one colored powder and try them both and compare.

lizzzi
lizzzi 
New Kid On the Block
lizzzi
In response to melissadam

Thanks everyone for your input. Looks like one of those questions with the answer "it's all in the eye of the beholder". Back to experimenting!

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to lizzzi

I've always used Versamark.

lizzzi
lizzzi 
New Kid On the Block
lizzzi
In response to lizzzi

I tried using Tsukineko Embossing Powder Green and Red with Versamark clear and couldn't get either powder to melt at all. Never have a problem with Ranger clear embossing powder and colored ink. Is there a trick to using the colored powders?

Edited by lizzzi on 06-27-13 11:17 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics