Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Which album should I switch to??        (Topic#1588873)
Vintageivy
Veteran
Vintageivy

With the recent news of CM in the near future no longer carrying its albums/pages I am left needing to find a new album style/brand. I am going to be finishing the two CM albums I currently have and then will need to pick new albums to start using. It is so hard when you are so attached to a certain kind of album! Many moons ago I used the albums and pages that Hallmark stores carried...anyone remember those? When they discontinued them I luckily found CM albums and have been thrilled with their style and quality. So what album would you move to next??!! Thanks for your advice!

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to Vintageivy

I love D-ring albums. They are a big departure from the CM style albums (at least the CM ones I started out with), but I love the flexibility they offer and how easy they are to work with.

suznut
suznut 
Veteran
suznut
In response to Luvmyfam

I'm in the exact same boat. I just ordered two more albums, but after that, I'll need to find new albums to use. I'm leaning toward CTMH albums, but want to see them in person first. I'm not sure how many sheets fit in one of them though. I'm still saddened by CM's depletion of products. My consultant assures me they are coming back with something new, however i get the feeling they won't be for the traditional scrapbooker

scrapchica
Guru
scrapchica
In response to suznut

CM got to be too expensive, but I found HL carries strap hinge albums in their Paper Studio brand. The refills fit CM albums too. The albums aren't as sturdy, but it was more cost effective for me, and I still use those. I wonder though, with the CM change how much longer those will be available...

cescrapper
Expert
cescrapper
In response to scrapchica

I love the D-ring albums plus i want to try those fusion page protecte]ors from WRMK

Vintageivy
Veteran
Vintageivy
In response to cescrapper

Looks like a lot of us are in the the same boat! I found a Becky Higgins d ring album that looks really nice. About how many pages do d rings usually hold? Do you just create a page and slip it into a protector. That is different than cm albums.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to Vintageivy

• Vintageivy Said:
Looks like a lot of us are in the the same boat! I found a Becky Higgins d ring album that looks really nice. About how many pages do d rings usually hold? Do you just create a page and slip it into a protector. That is different than cm albums.

You've got it in one. Yes, they are very different, but actually it is CM's design that is the most different. Most other companies use the page protector method, and the different makes can be combined so they are more versatile than CM's design. That's a pretty album!

The number of pages you would fit into an album would depend completely on how flat your style was. The more bulky your embellishments, the fewer pages you would fit in. I use the Snapload design of album. My pages mostly have a little texture, like gems, layering, the occasional hand-made flower, but not much. My thickest album has 40 LOs in it, so 20 pages with the LOs back-to-back, and that's about as much as I can comfortably lift. If I want to add any more I'm going to have to split it.

Does that help?

mj scrappin'
Veteran
mj scrappin'
In response to scrapchica

• scrapchica Said:
CM got to be too expensive, but I found HL carries strap hinge albums in their Paper Studio brand. The refills fit CM albums too. The albums aren't as sturdy, but it was more cost effective for me, and I still use those. I wonder though, with the CM change how much longer those will be available...

I too discovered the strap hinge albums at Hobby Lobby and quite by accident. My CM consultant had left the business and I needed page protectors. I just googled "strap hinge page protectors" and found the hobby lobby opportunity. The page protectors were great so i plan to continue with the strap hinge via hobby lobby as long as I can. I have too many refill pages to switch up now. But...I share the same fears! Will these be discontinued too. OR hopefully a new increased demand will keep them going!

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to mj scrappin'

Yup, Snapload is strap hinge. All my albums are those. SO much easier to handle than post-bound, not as easy as the D-ring albums, but smaller than D-rings. I think they're the best compromise.

moxiegirl23
Queen
moxiegirl23
In response to suznut

• suznut Said:
My consultant assures me they are coming back with something new, however i get the feeling they won't be for the traditional scrapbooker

It's going to be pre-designed albums along the lines of their picfolio and fast to fabulous lines. The emphasis is going to be on getting people's stories and photos in albums as quickly as possible without consideration for those of us who scrapbook for other reasons than just getting family history recorded.

bonprof
Diva
bonprof
In response to moxiegirl23

Thankfully, I have invested in enough albums pages and page protectors to last me another 5 years. I just can see myself using anything else. Eventually, I'll have to deal with it.

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan
In response to bonprof

I went from CM albums to WE R Memories albums and protectors. It was a big a change and I really agonized over it but being able to move things around and the different page protector options is really nice.

I used to get 45 pages (90) layouts in CM albums. My style has changed a bit but I can still get at minimum (if I am not using chipboard too much) 40 pages if not more into the 3 ring.

Edited by jaxxan on 06-23-13 08:59 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

bonprof
Diva
bonprof
In response to jaxxan

Thanks for this information. It will be traumatic moving away from CM albums, but I will keep your post in mind.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to bonprof

I've always thought CM was expensive for what it is. Also, my mother-in-law did one for my husband that the binding is pushed to the limit. I'm not crazy about it.

If money is no object, which it sort of is for me. I would do the WRMemory ones. They are beautiful.

I have a habit of buying a album cover that fits the theme of what I am scraping...if that makes sense.

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to CrimsonMama

I switched to We r Memory Keepers several years ago and have since been transferring pages/albums to those. I loved how sleek the CM were, but not as practical for the 12 x 12 pages. They also were tough to add pages when I found pictures that had been misplaced. On a very happy note, my friend gets We R Memory Keepers at retailer prices. One time when she was order albums, they were one price on the web site, but when she put them in her card, there were $2.65 a piece! These were the really cool ones that retail for $36.99 in the store. I ordered 30 of them. I am set for years.

m.perk
m.perk 
Governor
m.perk
In response to 950nancy

I switched to the D-Ring albums about 3 years ago or so....I love them. I am planning on converting all my old albums to D-Rings when I can get more on sale.

thehappyscrapper8
Veteran
thehappyscrapper8
In response to m.perk

I recently switched to the WE R Memory keepers albums as well. I love CM but the albums were just not cost effective for me. Especially since I had started only purchasing the side loading sleeve protectors to go with my albums. I was paying well over $60 just to finish an album. We R Memory Keepers I can pick up in Target if I need to and the page protectors are very cheap and I love that I just can move my layouts around in the album without having to take out every single layout.

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to thehappyscrapper8

Another We R Memory keepers fan here too!!!

mj scrappin'
Veteran
mj scrappin'
In response to Luvmyfam

After really hoping I could stick with a strap hinge style, knowing Hobby Lobby had some, I went the local HL on Saturday and was totally disappointed. Just a few strap hinge albums in black or navy blue (needed pink or peach) and the pages and page protectors were tucked away on a bottom shelf. Almost missed them. So I went home, did an inventory of how many strap hinge albums and pages I have left and bit the bullet. I ordered a pink WRMK 3 ring from scrapbook. com. I figured I can start the new little granddaughter's album with a new style and finish up everything I have already started with CM. Still sad about CM, but may find out that 3-ring or D-ring is the way to go!

Frau_Cooney
Guru
Frau_Cooney
In response to mj scrappin'

Has anyone tried the strap hinge pages and protectors that are sold here on Scrapbook.com? I have a few CM albums but no pages yet for them and the ones here are far less expensive. I was going to order a few to see the quality before CM stops selling their pages, but they are out of stock. Does anyone have experience with both the CM and the brand sold here?

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics