Username Post: 500+ vacation pictures        (Topic#1588903)
New Kid On the Block

I need ideas. I do my 4 grandkids scrapbooks. We recently came back from a family vacation with 500+ pictures. I don't know how to handle all these pictures for the 4 scrapbooks. Should I just put them in those scrapbooks 6 X 12 with the plastic pages to insert the pics instead of creating so many layouts in their regular scrapbook. I was thinking on selecting a few of the best one to layout in their regular scrapbooks and the other 450 pics in those slide on pages. any suggestions??? I create their scrapbooks cronologically with all the activities as they happen.

cescrapper
Expert
cescrapper
In response to dlnatali

page protectors

cescrapper
Expert
cescrapper
In response to cescrapper

I know that sounds like a flip answer because i take a ton of photos myself. i would choose the most important ones and get page protetors and display them that way.

Expert
In response to dlnatali

Depending on the trip and how many different parts there might have been to it--my suggestion would be to make a couple of layouts (or just one) to highlight the best parts or the overall feel, for each of the 4 albums. If there was something that stands out for one child, maybe do a page about that. Then I would make one album about the whole trip that all 4 kids could enjoy--but if they are not from the same core family then it could be an album for you to keep and they could look through it when they visit you (and some day make copies if more than one would want it.)

bonprof
Mayor
bonprof
In response to dlnatali

Sometimes I have to ask myself, "How important will this be in 2, 5, 10 years? 500 photos of one vacation sounds really overwhelming. I would make one small album for each grandchild using the best photos. Then, I would store the rest in an attractive photo box for the family to look through whenever.

New Kid On the Block
In response to HuskerMom98

Great idea! thanks!

New Kid On the Block
In response to bonprof

Yea! 500 photos is overwhelming to the max!. The problem is that everybody had their camera and since I'm the scrapbooker of the family they send all pics to me to make the best selections. sometimes is hard to chose. Thanks for your idea. is a great one.

KVRLVN
KVRLVN 
Mayor
KVRLVN
In response to dlnatali

I mainly scrap vacation pages. I usually have 200 - 300 pictures per vacation. I scrap the best of the best and keep the rest in photo boxes.

I used the page protector idea once on our Alaska cruise since we had over 900 photos. It's a great idea, but didn't work for me and I would not do it again. I felt even though I took that many photos, they don't all need to be scrapped or be showcased.

I try to use as multi photos layouts that I can. I really like the scrapyourtrip 12 x 12 overlays to help with multi photo layouts.

I have several examples in my gallery if you are interested.

bonprof
Mayor
bonprof
In response to KVRLVN

To: KVRLVN,

I checked out your gallery. Wow! Your work is absolutely beautiful!! And I love the scrap room. "When I grow up, I want to be more like you!".

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to bonprof

my approach to sorting and scrapbooking massive amounts of photos is to break it down into smaller parts & combine.

Think of a few points/themes you want to capture in the albums and sort & combine photos accordingly. Example: you want to show how fun eating lunch together was, combine the best photos from ALL of the meals.

Also think about the viewer. The sunsets may have been fantastic but who wants to flip through 12 pages of sunsets. And kids tend to want to see photos of themselves & friends anyway. Another trick, is to create a layout and then customize it for the grandchild who's book it is going into.

but back to the photos, I have found it is helpful to physically separate the photos you want to use. Move them to different folders or TAG them (sort by TAG) if you have a program that will do that. You don't want to be constantly revisiting the photo sorting process. Make your decisions and set up a system so that you can find easily what you decided. Of course you can change your mind but you don't want to have to go through your photos again and again picking out the best.

This amount of photos and making 4 albums can really get overwhelming. Set a realistic goal. Something like 10 custom pages and 10 pages of sleeves with photo pockets.

Hope this helps.

ScrappyMama6
Mayor
ScrappyMama6
In response to Gelidy Gelato

Honestly, if you're making 4 books pretty much identical for the grands....maybe consider making a Shutterfly book of them. Lots of times they are on sale, and can be duplicated at the touch of a button. EXCELLENT quality, and tons faster!

OR

Make a small 8x8 scrapbook of the best/faves/most important photos, and include a cd in the back of the book with the rest of the pics on it for further viewing and printing if wanted.

dorichatelain
Resident
dorichatelain
In response to ScrappyMama6

Why don't you scrap the best ones and put the rest on a dvd and make a pocket for it on one of the layouts. this way they will have them but you won't have to print them all out..

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to dorichatelain

I would make a few layouts with the best pictures for each child and put the rest in page protectors.

OlesyaK.
Diva
OlesyaK.
In response to mrsrogers52513

I'll agree with the mass opinion - one-two-three layouts specifically for each kid, group layout with all family members (maybe a collage?). Then, if you really want each of them to have a full album , go digital! Four albums is the same as one, and you can modify the copies a little bit, or insert one page for each kid among mixed pages, but most of the replication work will be done by the computer not you. I had photobooks of vacations replicated for grandmas - they were glad to have a book to show around, and didn't care that it's not personalized.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to OlesyaK.

I'm heading to disney in October considering my sil and I both are major photo hobbiest and both will have our digital slr's with us I expect about 2 to 3000 photos taken. I'm planing on doing layouts of our fave photos and times. And the rest are going in We R Memory Keepers PL type page protectors with just a little embellishment. That way all of the pictures can be viewed and enjoyed but not all the work.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics