Username Post: Help! Confused about borders!        (Topic#1588931)
j.elf
j.elf 
Tenant
j.elf
  • j.elf on 06-22-13 02:03 PM

Hi there,

I am completely new to scrapbooking. I have purchased some 12 x 12 insert cards which have 3 punched holes down the left hand side - presumably for a 3 ring binder. When I design my layout, do I leave a margin for these holes - or do I go over the top of them and then pierce through them later on? Most pictures I see don't seem to have a margin or edge? And do I have to use a ring binder? Can these inserts be put into another type of binding?

Edited by j.elf on 06-22-13 02:08 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to j.elf

The good thing about scrapbooking is that there are no rules! You can do it however you want!

bonprof
Idol
bonprof
In response to j.elf

I don't have the answer to your question, but wanted to WELCOME you to scrapbooking. It is a wonderful hobby and journey. Stay close to this website; it is very helpful and encouraging.

Veteran
In response to bonprof

Most of the layouts you are seeing posted are being done on straight cardstock or printed paper. All of my layouts then go into acid free protective sleeves which then go into a binder. Good luck in your new hobby and just remember it's supposed to be fun.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to crzyboutscrpn

Hi and welcome!

The most widely available scrapbooking albums these days are either 12x12" or 8.5x11". These are 12x12" or 8.5x11" pages which are placed in plastic page protectors, and filed in either post-bound, strap hinge (SnapLoad) or D-ring binder albums.

The advantage of these is that you can put 2 LOs back-to-back into each page protector, and they can be changed around without taking the page protector out of the album. Obviously the plastic protects your work and your photos from greasy fingers.

It sounds to me as if the pages you have bought are designed to be used without page protectors, just sticking your page directly onto the backs and fronts of each sheet. Possibly with a side-opening page protector which slides over from the edge. They might be slightly wider than 12x12" maybe? What make are they?

Hdubarry
Tenant
Hdubarry
In response to RedSquirrel

First, Welcome to scrapbooking!

As far as your inserts go, they sound like dividers, rather than pages. You can use them as dividers to separate sections in your albums, or not. The choice is up to you!

As far as how to use them: cover them up and repunch the holes, or leave the background bare, and just add your photos and papers and embellishments over top. It really is up to you.

Above all, have fun! There are no scrapbooking police who are going to arrest you for "doing it wrong." As a newbie, you just need to explore all your options, and you'll figure out what works for you by experimenting.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to Hdubarry

I never thought of dividers. I bet you're right.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to RedSquirrel

Some examples of page protectors and albums below....
Most of us, design our layouts on cardstock and then slip them into the page protectors and into the albums (D-ring, postbound, snapload....the choice is yours)
It does sound like what you bought are dividers, meant to divide your album into sections....
You could cover them with patterned paper and use them as dividers or use them for layouts

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to kiyawinn

If I were you I would go to Micheals or Hobby Lobby or Joanns or a scrapbook store and pick up a package of 12 x 12 sheet protectors. You slip the 12 x 12 layout in it and the holes for the binder do not interfere with the page. I would not want to punch holes in my layout or have to leave room for the holes. That would not work for me at all! A package of protectors is very inexpensive and you can buy the binder later but there is no way I would punch holes in my layouts and I need the full 12 x 12 size paper - I do not want to leave room for holes.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics