Username Post: Thematic paper?        (Topic#1589023)
bonprof
Governor
bonprof

I promised myself a while ago that I would stop buying thematic paper(that's what I am calling it). But I did it again. I have San Francisco paper and I need some ideas on how to be creative with it. Any ideas? The paper I have has a giant Golden Gate bridge on it, and another sheet has a shot of the city with a cable car in the forefront. Thematic paper is beautiful, but can be limiting.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to bonprof

I must slow down when reading.
I read that as "theRmatic" --thermal paper (for old copiers and fax machines).

I was wondering, why in the world, anyone would want to buy thermal paper for scrapbooking?

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Bxr-Linda

I agree.

For me, themed paper is VERY difficult to work with, especially if the paper is one big scene. Covering it with photos looks wrong.

Unless it's small patterns, where you can use small pieces of it.

I avoid buying it too.

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to Bxr-Linda

I looked up those type of papers, well San Francisco specifically, to see if there were any completed layout images to share w/ you as an example, but there weren't any! I guess a lot of people have trouble w/ it.
I would suggest maybe doing a search through the superstore on other Thematic papers and see if you don't find better results than I did (like i said the San Francisco ones came up empty for me).
Also, if your creating an album... maybe use those types of papers for cover pages and or pages for just journaling. Those require less and will allow the paper image to still be on display.
Good luck!

Edited by Doreena on 06-27-13 09:43 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to Doreena

I do like Doreen suggested, usually using the themed paper for journaling, but if the journaling is fairly long, I print it onto vellum so that the paper can still be seen a bit. Or us it for the title page and place the lettering where it fits the best.

Also, if I'm doing several pages, like for a week trip to San Francisco, I might use matting and photos on a themed paper, but then use the same paper a page or two later and use the journaling or title techniques so that the background can be seen. Not sure if this makes sense, but in one place just the edges and some clear spots will be seen, but in another LO the whole thing will pretty much be visible and they all tie together.

bonprof
Governor
bonprof
In response to mrsdriver5

Thank you! These are all great ideas.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 06-27-13 06:02 PM
In response to bonprof

I like them for either a title page or a closing page for a series of LOs. Just add a title, small bit of journalling, and/or a photo or two that works with it.

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to stick

I have some New York papers that are like that, and you are right, SO hard to work with! I still haven't figured it out either, but haven't started working on that album yet either!

Veteran
In response to mrsrogers52513

I used a Beach paper that sounds like what you are describing as my title page for my vacation album one year. I put one large 5 x 7 that was matted and a title. The picture was of my sister and my son playing in the water from far away, so it was very similar to the paper. Then I used a contrasting matte to make sure the picture stood out. My title was fairly large and covered most of the sand in the picture. I thought it turned out nice.

I'm sure you could do something similar if you had pictures taken around San Francisco. You're right though, it seemed like it took me a while to work out the details. I just kept it simple and was very happy with the results.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to GAKropper

I used a SugarTree paper for a title page. I didn't have photos of people from that trip, but I used heads from previous times, joined them with clipart bodies, added a few odds and ends and a title.

When I use my NYC themed-paper, I'll probably use small photos and a title, then use the photos larger on a different LO...like by the Statue of Liberty have a little pic of my gd looking up at it, or a little pic of the taxis way-down from the top of the Empire State Bldg.~Judy

016 Gold Rush Title Page By Mrsdriver5

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11

Oh Judy, that is a cute & funny page. Love it. I saved it. I left you some love.

bonprof
Governor
bonprof

I love that page!! So creative!

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to bonprof

Thanks...sometimes LOs just need to be fun and silly :>)

950nancy
Diva
950nancy

I have used them for a first page in an album and I have also used them with one large picture that covers up much of the paper, but you still know what is under it. Like the velum idea. You could also cut the paper into one inch strips and make it cover a two page layout.

bonprof
Governor
bonprof
In response to 950nancy

Wow. Great idea. Thanks!

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan
In response to bonprof

If you have the patience you could do some detail cutting of the bridge and cable car then use them as an border or embellishment.
The e remainder of the paper could be used as mats or journaling piece.

Edited by jaxxan on 07-04-13 07:33 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

dorichatelain
Resident
dorichatelain
In response to jaxxan

I did a beach theme layout with beach theme paper. I used a 5x7 picture of my husband on a beach with the ocean behind him. He was standing under a palm tree. It fit the themed paper perfectly. Then I placed shells and a couple other embellishments around the paper.

bonprof
Governor
bonprof
In response to jaxxan

Thank you so much!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics