Username Post: Magazine Addiction!        (Topic#1589027)
rhujack
New Kid On the Block
rhujack

Ok so I have a wee problem... or rather a very large expensive one! As you know I am very new to the scrapbooking circuit (only made one page so far) but I am addicted to buying the monthly magazines from the shops of they have 'freebees'! Now at £5 a magazine this is mounting up. Oh dear

meezerpleaser
Diva
meezerpleaser
In response to rhujack

I broke my scrapbook magazine addiction by doing a lot of surfing in the gallery here and on other scrappy sites, checking out you-tube, etc. Those mags have shrunken until there's practically nothing left but advertising... and for that money you spend on the mags, you could get lots of scrappy goodness!

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to rhujack

I did that at first too. But I discovered that the stamps are usually a bit rubbish (don't stamp well, are flimsy and tear easily), and the little "kits" contain stuff that I never use. I still have bits and pieces left over from the very first magazine kits I bought.

Also, once you've bought a year's worth of any magazine, the next year onwards is often similar ideas recycled.

But it's good to have that year's worth, and you'll probably find you get out of the addiction soon and replace it with Pinterest, or the Gallery here, or other recommended inspirations. I'm always adding to my "pot".

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to RedSquirrel

I used to buy a lot....now, I just subscribe to one, Canadian Scrapbooker, and sometimes get the Cards magazine for free at the LSS....
I look forward to the day that the magazine comes and I get to sit down and go through it!

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to kiyawinn

I used to buy a lot of sb magazines too, but found they just sat on the shelf and I'd spend time surfing the net and saving ideas on my computer.

fknapoleon
Pro
fknapoleon
In response to mrsrogers52513

The only one I still get is the Cards magazine. It seems that all the other ones have more advertising than ideas.

Expert
In response to fknapoleon

I agree..of the magazines that are still in business, I really can flip through and throw it out . I don't even save them anymore. If there is an article that I am REALLY interested in, I tear it out and put it in a folder.
I won't renew them anymore.

anda11
anda11 
Mayor
anda11
In response to deedee49

I used to have a mag addicition for many years. Then our income dropped & I had to stop them all (which was lots) It was that time that I found this site. I never miss the mags now with millions of layouts, cards, altered stuff here in the gallery. They are all amazing. I also find lots of cool ideas on Pinterest. You can find tons of freebie tutorials on you tube too. I do not miss going to classes or getting the mags at all now & haven't for yrs. The money could be spent on scrappy stuff.

married05
Idol
married05
In response to anda11

I have an addiction too! Unfortunately most of the magazines I loved are no longer in print (like my favorites - Simple Scrapbooks and Scrapbooks Etc.) or have gone all digital.

I just ordered 17 magazines from Northridge Publishinhg (Scrapbook Trends, etc.), many for 99 cents each. They are going all digital.

3LittleLadies
Resident
3LittleLadies
In response to married05

This is one scrapbooking addiction I don't have. There are so many resources online that I've never subscribed to a magazine.

km37 
Tenant
  • km37 on 07-01-13 05:50 PM
In response to rhujack

I stumbled across this gem. Me thinks that paper copies of magazines might be on the way out and digital is in. This online one is GREAT:
http://issuu.com/kimarcher/docs/jotmag azinefinalproof

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics