Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Suggestions Please        (Topic#1589189)
Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

I've been scrapping like crazy lately and I sail right through travel layouts because they are pretty much a block format.

However, when I have pages to do of my granddaughter (will be 2 in Sept), I like them pretty and frou-frou and flowery and I struggle with that style. I had boys - I've never had a reason to do "pretty" scrapbooking before and I love it but it is very difficult for me.

My mother (the baby's great-grandmother) gave me her rocking chair she had when she was a toddler. Its over 80 years old! When our granddaughter comes to visit I let her sit in it because it is just the right size for her.

I have a picture of her in it - the chair is red and the baby is wearing a red top and blue pants with white spots. Very patriotic but it wasn't 4th of July so I don't want to do a patriotic page. I want girly and feminine.

I found a selection of Dr. Seuss papers that could be cute but I want girlier. I can't find flowered paper with red in it and it has to have red for her shirt and for the rocking chair.

Everything girly I have is in pink or pastels which isn't going to work with this layout. This one is truly stumping me because the natural flow is to go with a patriotic layout with the red rocking chair and her wearing red white and blue and I don't want to do that. This was taken on Thanksgiving last year.

This page will be in the middle of my Thanksgiving pages and I want girly!

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to Henri Jean

Could you use a solid red paper, and find some white lace or some kind of trim to put on the paper as a border or something to make it more fru-fru like?

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 07-02-13 08:41 PM

I would probably print the photo in sepia and then make the page in fall colors.

Or Can you use a blue/white background paper that is girly and then accent it with red flowers? Or find a red paper that you like and stamp some flowers onto it then glue some sparkly rhinestones, or some blue or white lace.

You could also use a software to make it muted or black and white but just bring out the red. Have you seen pics like that before where it's all black and white but just a flower is colored? It's fairly easy to do.

Last idea... can you take a pic of the rocking chair by itself, blow it up really big and use that as your bg paper?

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5
In response to Vae

Or white background with some red & white flowers (3-D type), maybe some red lace-look, whether a doily, or punched edge for matting. If you have the same red spray, you could even do a light mist or stenciling on the white background.

Looking in the Gallery, with Red as my search, someone named BearFamily has some LOs that have a bit of red, some with blue also and aren't over-the-top, but nice.

Have fun :>)

nanof8 
Resident
In response to mrsdriver5

I would look at using red as background paper and blue spotted paper like your grand-daughters pants then embellish with lace, flowers, or whatever takes your fancy

anda11
anda11 
Mayor
anda11

How about some paper doilys behind the pic or around the pages. You can also buy them in colors or you can sure dye them or color them. How about some gorgeous pretty ribbon in a wide width or any width. I love using pretty ribbons. How about lace trim in colors or white. I adore using flowers. You can buy or make them in everything from paper, fabric, felt,ribbon, lace fabric, etc.

Babylou
Diva
Babylou
In response to anda11

I think if you stay away from stars, stripes, and using all 3 colors, it wouldn't look patriotic. I would focus on the red and white like others have said. Maybe bring in some brown or black as a contrast color. Lace and flowers can make it seem girlie and of course bling! That being said, here's some new papers that I immediately thought of when you said red flowers.

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to Babylou

For me, if the picture has more of a feeling to it, I will try to bring out the feeling instead of matching up the colors. Or use the colors as an accent to pull from, but not thematic.

OlesyaK.
Diva
OlesyaK.
In response to Manda_K

two thoughts:
first: red white and blue photo doesn't mean you have to do red white and blue layout. you can go pink with the background, or any other color, and just use blue and red as accents (flower embellies, matting, borders, washi). I tend to over-coordinate page colors with photos, and it gets boring - well, it does for me.
second : if you still want to stick with the chosen colors, but want girly - pull out the punches and punch lots of lacy borders - they look awesome on girly pages, and add just the right soft touch. try coordinating with paler shades of those reds, that way the photo will stand out more..
all IMHO !!!

lifethroughalens
Veteran
lifethroughalens
In response to OlesyaK.

Do you have a favorite or filly looking stamp? What about taking a plain white piece of cardstock and stamping it with read ink, and go from their. I had to do that with my wedding invitations for the same reason. I was using read and couldn't find any "non-patriotic" paper to use as a background for the vellum.

idlewoman
Veteran
idlewoman

How about a solid background and using polka dotted paper with some checked paper?

Say a blue solid with red checked paper and red polka dotted paper. Then use those punches and add some ribbon or lace?

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan
In response to idlewoman

I know it can be hard when you mind keeps falling back on one idea.

However I did find a couple of sheets that might get you going and a few are from a 4th of july collection but on their own they are pretty not too 4th july.

I hope that helps.....

Edited by jaxxan on 07-03-13 01:41 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

SJB1120
Expert
SJB1120
In response to jaxxan

Maybe make the background of the paper red on the top half, then blue with white spots for the bottom half. Use some lace to separate the two layers. THEN to make it more subdued while matching the colors, may I sugest a frosted vellum overlay? Then if you wanted to you can use flowers on top of that around the photo. It will still be girly, but the colors will also match.

gin1902
Diva
gin1902
In response to SJB1120

Henri, looks like a bunch of excellent suggestions-can I steal them all? I esp like Stephanie's of adding the frosted vellum. I love red, white and blue together but it can be such a challenge to have it not look too 4th of Julyish.

J-M
J-M 
Idol
J-M
  • J-M on 07-04-13 08:27 AM
In response to gin1902

I second the Bo Bunny papers - the collection is patriotic, but on their own, they're just lovely red or blue patterned papers. What immediately came to mind for me, though, is using something with a heart theme or heart embellies.

Alternatively, depending on the pic, I might look at using all black and white or navy and white patterned papers with just a pop of red somewhere

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn

I'd be inclined to make the photo black and white and then use any colours you want...a favourite paper....

BUT, if you want to leave the colour photo....use blue and white as your main colours and let the red in the photo pop!
Maggie Holmes for Crate Paper has a very girly paper with a lot of blue, some red and some black and white......use a neutral background, lots of blue and you could even mount the photo on red to make the chair pop even more....

I'd love to see it when you're done!

Veteran
In response to kiyawinn

I really like your picks jaxxan!

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to SunnyAB

Here's a chair layout I did for my granddaughter. Maybe it will give you some ideas.

The Chair By Dwelch

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to dwelch

I know what you mean Henri.

I would ignore the blue, and go with white with lace and ribbons, with LOTS of glitter, gems, flowers and butterflies in red and white.
Products Referenced in This Post:

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to RedSquirrel

WOW! SO many great ideas. I've been playing with it - went paper shopping (as if I needed more paper) and found a paisley and floral with red and blue along with greens and other colors. That is an option.

I love velum. I'm going to really play with it.

Darla - thank you for posting your chair layout. Yes, ideas are there!

For the one with her sitting in it I'm going to use the floral/paisley with the red, blue, green and all kinds of colors and play it with red flowers.

Then I'm going to take a photo of just the chair and use some of the other suggestions. I'm going to do a couple pages as a tribute to my mother's childhood, include some of her childhood memories and photos as well as a picture of the chair. I am going to try to find that Bo Bunny collection - exactly what I want and I'm loving the velum idea.

I want to incorporate so many of these ideas but I really want to do a layout of the chair and my mother's childhood to use them. I really want the focus to be on the chair and my mother. I didn't think of that until reading these ideas!

Thought about making it sepia or gray tone but that chair has always been so red! And it is so worn - even has the original cane seat which is painted red also.

Thanks for the ideas - can't wait to start on the pages about my mother and that chair! I will look for that Bo Bunny paper tonight!

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics