Page 1 of 3 
Username Post: Have you given a second life to something that most people throw away?        (Topic#1589313)
Crafting Marfa
Veteran
Crafting Marfa

A couple of months ago my bf and I were at Sonics and they gave us our drinks in one of those cardboard boxes with a handle on top. It was in perfect condition. The first thing that came to my mind was: This would make a great caddy to carry my supplies! All I have to do is decorate it and it can sit on a shelf! Of course I kept it! Duh! lol I haven't used it yet, but one of these days.... Is there anything that you have looked and said to yourself: I can't throw this out! It would be great for___fill in the blank. If so, what is it and how would you use it?

mizzblue
Guru
mizzblue
In response to Crafting Marfa

I keep my Birchboxes for future projects-they are great quality and can be used for lots of "Tim Holtz" style projects. I also saved the 4 pack of bottles/and carrier from my Starbucks fraps

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to mizzblue

Kotex pantyliner boxes. For a while they came in cute little cubic drawers (pun fully intended!) and I covered them in pretty paper and they live on my desk. One contains buttons, one stamps and stamped images, one sponges for inking and one some tubes of acrylic paint.

I have 2 clear plastic pencil cases. Well I use them as pencil cases. They began life as a display holder for a stuffed toy and a toiletries gift bag.

cescrapper
Expert
cescrapper
In response to RedSquirrel

i have dug out the remaining candle in several jars and they are now holding brads. one is holding charms

I have saved those little bags from Godiva chocolate hoping to make a mini album out of them.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to cescrapper

I converted a cookie tin into a pen holder. I'd embed the images, but I'm having trouble copying the link on my iPod... http://www.scrapbook.com/galleries/473373/view /3503033/...

Right now I'm hoarding a Crystal Light plastic canister, a tall cylindrical candy box, the little tin from a pack of Altoids Minis, two small jellybean-shaped containers, and a hinged-lid plastic container from some kind of spread.

I've also repurposed the packaging from these little packs of fake vintage bottle caps - I'm using one to categorize my very small assortment of colored photo corners, and right now the other one is holding beer bottle caps (I drink very infrequently, so 6 slots is more than enough), but I think they'd also be great for sorting and transporting brads and eyelets to a crop (or in my case, to my mom's house, the only place I ever scrap with other people).

Megan - ForumTech
The Janitor
Megan - ForumTech
In response to aquabunny

My Copics sit in a holder....out of plastic drink mix containers. Used a roll of blue duct tape to hold it together.

Solitaire
Veteran
Solitaire
In response to Megan - ForumTech

Some lidded food and snack containers come with a cover that needs to be peeled off after you unscrew the lid. The underside of the cover could be a nice shiny silver. No need to buy silver paper, as it can be used for punching out shapes such stars.

Crafting Marfa
Veteran
Crafting Marfa

I don't know if you know this tip so I'll tell you anyway. If you take the jar and put it in the fridge for 10 or 15 minutes the wax with contract and it will be a breeze to remove whatever is left. You'll get a clean jar in no time!

Crafting Marfa
Veteran
Crafting Marfa

I love all of you ideas! We crafters can be very...well...crafty :-D

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 07-09-13 12:41 PM

Yes!! I save my birchboxes too, business card boxes, checkbook boxes, paper towel tubes, plus any other packaging that looks cool or different. I saved the box my husband's iphone came in, the little godiva bags, and any kind of tin. I get Godiva pearls when I'm at the airport and they come in a tall tin box with a flip top... not sure what I'm going to make with them yet but I have about 6.

I use my tin foil or wax paper boxes to store washi tape (built in cutter is awesome).

cescrapper
Expert
cescrapper
In response to Vae

oh i save the sleeves whenever i get photos printed at the store. They could make good pockets

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny

I've got a bunch of photo envelopes from Walgreen's right now, and I'm using them to hold photos and planned embellishments for layouts in my current album, since I found that I was finally running low on the small envelopes I've been using and reusing for that purpose for about six years.

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM
In response to aquabunny

I used Styrofoam to make a holder for my ATG gun. You can view it here http://krafthead1.blogspot.com/2013/03/soc-dt-projec t-s...

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to HisGEM

I keep my Starbucks Frap bottles. Haven't done anything with them yet, but I WILL!

TFCasper
Veteran
TFCasper
In response to Vae

• Vae Said:
Yes!! I save my birchboxes too, business card boxes, checkbook boxes, paper towel tubes, plus any other packaging that looks cool or different. I saved the box my husband's iphone came in, the little godiva bags, and any kind of tin. I get Godiva pearls when I'm at the airport and they come in a tall tin box with a flip top... not sure what I'm going to make with them yet but I have about 6.

I use my tin foil or wax paper boxes to store washi tape (built in cutter is awesome).

That is such a great idea! I love that.

catzscrapper
Pro
catzscrapper
In response to TFCasper

I save all kinds of stuff to re-purpose!
*) onion skin- the dry ones can make such an awesome back ground on a card. I tear it up, glue to the card front then put a stamped design on top of them. Looks pretty Cool! I have uses red and brown shades.
*) We use washed out milk jugs to make scoopers for gravel, sand, compost soil...anything you need a scoop for!
*) I make things out of cardboard boxes all the time. When you need a smaller or larger box that what you have, take one apart and cut to make the one you need! Glue is always needed and packing tape too!
*) Sometimes we cut up a cardboard egg carton and make a cat toy, ok several cat toys! Put 2 of the egg 'cups' together with tape to make a container, then we put catnip or a treat inside and the cats usually destroy it to get the item out but they have a blast working on it!
*) I recycle pages of old calendars into envelopes!

That's all I am thinking of that I have done so far, but I know there is more! So I will come back with more ideas when I remember some

Ms. Fit
Veteran
Ms. Fit
In response to catzscrapper

I have saved and re-purposed quite a few things but my favorite right now is foil caps from wine bottles. Some have great designs on them. (Screw caps are worthless to me.) I make radial cuts around the edge so that they can be pressed flat. Then I punch them out w/ a circle punch. They can be used as is or colored w/ pens, although the ink must be heat set. They make nice embellishments on my layouts. It was the popularity of bottle caps that gave me this idea.

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to Ms. Fit

I saw some really cute projects with bigger sized bottle caps yesterday!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to mrsrogers52513

I save the little sample spoons from Baskin Robbins. They are great for working with glitter.

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to Henri Jean

Great idea!

Page 1 of 3 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics