Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Storage for projects in progress        (Topic#1589349)
New Kid On the Block

Hi! I'm still fairly new to scrapbooking and haven't really sorted out the best way to do things. I have been trying to figure out how to store (and carry) projects that I'm working on. I am planning on going to crops in my neighborhood, so I'm staging pages but I don't know what to put them in. I've looked at a few of the products being sold for this like Crop In Style Paper Taker Organizer Tote, Smead Retrospect Expanding File, 26 Pockets with Handle, 12 X 12 Inches, and
Darice 60124 Spectrafile 12-by-12-Inch 13-Pocket Expanding File to name a few. I would appreciate and input and suggestions!!! Thank you!

~Jennifer

MisasMom
Resident
MisasMom
In response to jenjuneh

Welcome! When I first started scrapping I tried several different ways of storing projects in progress until I found what worked for me.

Now, my favorite way is using 12x12 Iris boxes. They hold a lot and are not too expensive. I also keep an extra one just to put pages in for drying of paint or Stickles. Everything I do must be cat proof, so these are perfect.

I can make up kits (pre-plan pages) and store them in page protectors and stack them in the boxes for crops. If I am flying with supplies I also put a note on top for TSA that says: Original Art Work, Please Open Carefully! I have not had any problems with that.

I just searched the store and apparently, they are not sold here but I found a similar box by Art Bin. I have some of these too in smaller sizes and store other items in them, but have never traveled with one.

Products Referenced in This Post:

KatieJo
Governor
KatieJo
In response to jenjuneh

I second the plastic suitcase style. I do use the Art Bin Super Satchels for both storing them at home (when I don't want the stuff out) and transporting them to crops.

bonprof
Governor
bonprof
In response to KatieJo

I also use the iris boxes. They are very sturdy and air tight. Also, they are easy to store.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to bonprof

My Little Red Craft Wagon By Henri Jean

I take this to every crop. The big container has my ATG and misc. supplies, extra adhesive for the ATG, my Slice and a thing that sits on the table for scissors, glue eraser and that sort of thing.

The tall container has 12 x 12 file folders in it and my "in progress" projects go in them in regular office manila file folders. The file folders aren't big enough but that is not a problem. I put 8 or 10 folders in each hanging file so everything stays separated out.

One of the 12 x 12 containers with the handles is all sticker letters.

The other 12 x 12 container has my Crop-O-dile and all my brads and eyelets.

I take the wagon to the car, fully loaded like this, take a second to take the 4 container out of the wagon and put them into the car. The wagon has a knob thing in the bottom, When you pull it - the wagon pulls up like an umbrella and goes in the car.

Then I set the wagon up and haul my stuff into the crop. There are 4 of us at the table where we usually sit and all 4 of us have our wagons behind our chair because we can keep our stuff there and not take up so much table space - we just reach behind us to get our stuff.

Also, at home the wagon stays set up in my scraproom so I can easily get to my Slice and I can pack projects away when I get to the point where I can just glue and do finishing touches at the crop.

I have a duplicate ATG and scissors and trimmer - anything I use a lot I have one for home and one for my crop wagon. Anytime friends call and say, "Lets get together to crop" - my wagon is always ready to go. Right now there are about 15 pages to be completed at the next crop.

leslief
Idol
leslief
In response to bonprof

Another one for Iris cases!

New Kid On the Block
In response to leslief

I guess I need an iris case! LOL Thank you for the responses, and thank you to Henri Jean for the comprehensive list! I have that wagon in grey

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to jenjuneh

I also use the Iris boxes. I have one for each project and keep all the papers and everything together. Then I just have a tote where I keep all my tools and such in.

Megan - ForumTech
The Janitor
Megan - ForumTech
In response to mrsrogers52513

Iris boxes here, too - embellishments and stuff that I know I want to use, in baggies with the main paper.

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to Megan - ForumTech

Looks like Iris boxes are the way to go!

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to jenjuneh

I also use the pink artbin plastic boxes with handles.. Of all the different ways I have used over the last 15 yrs, these work the best.
Sometimes, I only take one of those & a tool tote..Sometimes I take my pink mimi rolling tote with that inside. depends on how much I am taking.

Juansmom
Idol
Juansmom
In response to anda11

I use the artbin or iris boxes too...love the handles on the artbin, but I think the iris are sturdier (ie more "bounceable" plastic!!) because my artbin cracked when dropped, but iris have not...they get carried in to the crop in a simple tote bag.

I have my tools in a dorm style shower caddy with a handle..it will hold pens, scissors, a coupla punches, paper trimmers, etc...and all easily carried in to the crop! the key is to not take too much to a crop...why lug more than u need?

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi

I like the Art Bin cases best and like so many use the cases for projects, pages in progress and I have one titled "2013" and in it goes any embellishments, brochures, etc. I have picked up to put on layouts.

The Iris ones pop open a little too easy to me.

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to Sunnydi

I've also dropped my Iris boxes a lot and never had them crack!

meezerpleaser
Diva
meezerpleaser
In response to jenjuneh

I use an Iris box to store in-progress projects at home, but that's for big projects - like the baby album I just made. I put all the paper and embellies in there.

But going to neighborhood crops, if you want to go inexpensive, try the 2-gallon zip-top storage bags at the store ... I get mine from WM. A few papers and a few embellies fit in there nicely, and they're handy for making up your own "kit" for a page. And did I mention inexpensive?!

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to meezerpleaser

That's a good idea. I have some of the plastic sleeves that snap on the top from Michaels that I will put kits together for future projects of things I buy that go together. I think the Ziploc baggies would work just fine though, thanks for the idea!

48SixTime
Mayor
48SixTime

I don't go anywhere to scrap but I LOVE the Cropper Hopper Page Arrangers!

I love to grab all kinds of things I think will work together and stuff it all in the page arranger! I then store them vertically and out in the open so I don't forget about them!

http://store.scrapbook.com/ch-ch92603.html?w=Cropper+ho...

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11

I told you what I used for the planned pages at the crops but I did not tell you that I store them in those 3 drawer white/clear drawers sets unttil the crop.

PhotobearSam
Idol
PhotobearSam
In response to anda11

love the handles on the Artbin boxes more than the Iris containers.

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to PhotobearSam

Wouldn't it be great if Iris would put handles on theirs?

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics