Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: embellishing, covering or coloring chipboard        (Topic#1589367)
tanyaham
Guru
tanyaham

I have several Maya Road chipboard embellishments - cameras, buttons, pennants, alphas etc and would love ideas on how to change, color, paint, and otherwise embellish them.

I have covered them with patterned paper using Mod Podge, which is a little messy but can't do that with intricate pieces like the camera. I have tried using acrylic paint, gesso then paint, Mister Huey mists, covering with washi tape ... but nothing seems to come out looking very good.

Would love to see some examples of how you've made them your own.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to tanyaham

My favorite is to heat emboss.

Here are a bunch of ideas from a recent post:

Plain chipboard shapes

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to Bxr-Linda

I recently covered some Alpha letters with DSP and then wrapped twine around some of the letters. You can see it in my blog post:

http://3monkeysthrowingar oundsomepaper.blogspot.com/201...

I can't say that chipboard is my favorite to work with. I need to try embossing them!!!

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to binkiemonstermom

• binkiemonstermom Said:
I recently covered some Alpha letters with DSP and then wrapped twine around some of the letters. You can see it in my blog post:

I can't say that chipboard is my favorite to work with. I need to try embossing them!!!

What is DSP?

lilmrmaid
Angel
lilmrmaid
In response to Bxr-Linda

those are really cute camera chip board pieces. Wish they still had them.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to Bxr-Linda

• Bxr-Linda Said:
  • binkiemonstermom Said:

What is DSP?

Based on her linked blog post, I'm guessing she's referring to Stampin' Up "Designer Series Paper." Without the context of the blog post, though, I assumed it referred to some kind of paint/gel/other liquid medium.

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to aquabunny

You could try covering them with adhesive and putting glitter on them? Or Glimmer Mist?

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to mrsrogers52513

I love glitter on chippies. Especially the ultra or microfine glitter from Art Glitter.

Heat embossing is another fave of mine for tiny or intricate designs.

I also like to cover them with glossy accents for depth and to add shine.

MoniL
MoniL 
Guru
MoniL
  • MoniL on 07-12-13 07:02 AM

I like to use chalk ink on mine to get nice even coverage without thick edges like from paint. It works best with black or brown inks.
Using heat embossing is also a nice look. I recently saw a video where someone covered the shapes in gesso and when it was dry she used watercolor on top and let it air dry which meant the end result was very "watercolor looking", for lack of a better term. The coloring was not even and a little pooled/concentrated in some areas, but it was a nice look that would fit a "light & airy" looking layout.
I wonder if you would use a white paint sharpie and when dry layered with lighter colored inks how it would work?

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to MoniL

Sorry, just saw this question. DSP is Designer Seriers Paper which is what StampIn' Up refers to its paper packs as.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to Bxr-Linda

• Bxr-Linda Said:
My favorite is to heat emboss.

Here are a bunch of ideas from a recent post:

Plain chipboard shapes

Yes, myself and a bunch of others gave a whole bunch of suggestions on that post!

One new one....with your plain shapes, ie, banners, you can run them through your BigShot with an embossing folder to give them EXTRA dimension.....(then paint, glitter etc...)

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to kiyawinn

Oh good idea!

ScrappinTraveler
Expert
ScrappinTraveler

I love heat embossing, painting and all that, but if it has a laser cut design that's kind of tiny or delecate I like to color them with either my Copics (because then I can blend colors together) or even my Faber Castel Big Pens to get a dark color. I like the affect - then sometimes cover it with Glossy Accents. I like to do that on wood lasercut peices too - some of the wood grain shows through. :-)

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to ScrappinTraveler

Good idea, gonna be buying a few Copics to try out and see how I like them!

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956

brown chip board I like to put a coat of gesso on them and then do all of the above where it takes several coats of paint or glimmer mist without the gesso with the gesso it only takes one coat usually

Crafting Marfa
Veteran
Crafting Marfa
In response to Sneezy1956

This is what I use on chipboard most of the time:

Acrylic paint
Gesso
Triple Thick
Embossing Enamel (thicker than regular embossing powder)
Assorted inks
Crackle paint
Tombow markers
Gel pens
Glitter pens
Flocking powder

I hope that helps :-)

OlesyaK.
Diva
OlesyaK.
In response to Crafting Marfa

i have a pack of Bic markers for scrapbooking (like sharpies I guess) - they color anything! chipboard including. the only downside is that the color shows darker on the chipboard, but if you gesso it first, it'll be better. Bics are my fave tool at the moment!
glitter works great, like that. Patterned paper is okay if the shape is plain, and you can cut around. FOr the intricate cuts, try gluing on tissue paper - it's more flexible and will be easier to work with...
I used those exact chipboard pieces just recently on an album here - the flowers on the cover are colored with BICs, circle with glitter. most others are PP'd and it's a paaaaaain..
Our Family Home By OlesyaK.

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to OlesyaK.

That's so cute!

terrihooper
Mayor
terrihooper

All of these are great ideas!

ScrappinTraveler
Expert
ScrappinTraveler
In response to terrihooper

If its a solid piece of chipboard or wood I also love to heat emboss. . . I love to UTEE the heck out of them :-)

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics